Hoosier Intruder

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Squisher
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2003 Intruder 1400

Hoosier Intruder

Post by Squisher »

Joined up because Google kept pointing me here when I would look for stuff [emoji106]

Bought a really clean '03 1400 last year. Had to park early due to weird rear wheel issues - wheel would be "true" on the stand, but be WAY out at the tire after mounting rubber on it (seriously, like .125 out at the tread, but .030-ish at the rim). Ended up buying a new to me one on fleabay that was in better shape operationally (Trued to .025 at the rim and maybe .035 out at the tread), if slightly uglier looking. Might still send my other one off to see if it can be properly straightened, but it's $$$ that I'd rather spend on gas.

Bike came to me w/ V&H pipes, and it runs like it's been jetted right, nice and torquey. Seems like it picked up a high-freq vibration from it's winter nap though. Going to see what a tank or two of fuel with some B-12 in it will do, but probably going to break down and do a carb clean/balance. (It's helped on other bikes).

I know it's not going to be as buttery smooth as my last bike ('84 700 Magna....ooooh man that V4), but at least the Suzy doesn't leak oil/antifreeze in the garage :lol:

Future will probably be side bags and maybe one of those spun aluminum aux tanks mounted below the oil cooler - even just an extra gallon would be SO much better than the 100-110 mile fill-ups I do currently. I will use the search here - need to make sure the OEM fuel pump can pull fuel that far and not burn up before my next oil change. I like to run with one of those slip-on sissy-bar bags, so mounting it behind the seat is a no-go. It's a 3-season daily, so the utility is too hard to give up.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Hoosier Intruder

Post by Designer »

Welcome! [emoji106] Nice to meet you.

I read what you said about miles between fill-ups. Have you calculated your MPG though ?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Squisher
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Squisher »

I'm getting 33-35 mpg for my stoplight heavy day to day commute, right about 100 miles before hitting reserve. I'm a bit throttle happy too so I don't think it's badly out of line.

I hit 45 mpg once on a small group ride (like 4 of us) where we cruised a steady 45-50 for nearly 5 hours with minimal stopping.

It's smooth as glass between 50 and 60 and only gets a little buzzy at 70+ but not numbingly so. I just figured that's the character of a bigish narrow angle v-twin.

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

Squisher wrote:I'm getting 33-35 mpg for my stoplight heavy day to day commute, right about 100 miles before hitting reserve. I'm a bit throttle happy too so I don't think it's badly out of line.

I hit 45 mpg once on a small group ride (like 4 of us) where we cruised a steady 45-50 for nearly 5 hours with minimal stopping.

It's smooth as glass between 50 and 60 and only gets a little buzzy at 70+ but not numbingly so. I just figured that's the character of a bigish narrow angle v-twin.

WELCOME TO THE BOARD

Ride Safe and Post Often [emoji106]

After 70 mph the 1400 goes to singing like a Singer sewing machine...reason being is that it is geared muxch lower than than it actually needs for that speed.....At 90+ mph it sounds like it's about to come apart.......still rides smooth at that speed just don't let the weird sounds bother you.
.the 1400 is bullet proof
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

Squisher
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Squisher »

I did end up ordering a 1500ml "camp fuel" bottle rated for white gas and a couple of other fuels to attach to the bike in case I pull another out of fuel stunt like I did last week. :bang:

I estimated I had enough to get to the station by my house. Off by 2 miles. :bonk: The missus was close by so it was just slightly annoying but still.

On the fun side I made a pair of hard cases from some cheap plastic "ammo" cans I got from the local Menards. I attached them to the OEM bag supports (thank you eBay) with a couple of u-bolts. Not huge but super convenient and weather resistant. ~$50 all in.