'96 VS800GL Ignition clicks, lights on, NOT STARTING!!

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
HDR
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder vs800gl

'96 VS800GL Ignition clicks, lights on, NOT STARTING!!

Post by HDR »

Morning intruders. Hope you and your loved ones are well. So here I come to bother with another question. I finally had the bike rollin' well. No starting issues, no missing light function, RPM's was easily fixed by mechanic. All was great. Then. My cowardly @hole of a landlord, knocked over the bike. On purpose I'm sure. Bike went down on its left side and broke off the foot peg and bent the clutch lever. For a few days it was functioning ok I guess. Then little by little it wouldn't start. I kept trying and trying and it finally did several times. But now, it does not. It'll get like a small jolt but not enough to start. The battery is fine, the lights turn on fully and when I turn on the ignition, I can hear the click under me. But no start. Some of the last times it did start, I wiggled the cables that are attached to the handles, and it worked. But not anymore. I'm assuming that when it got knocked over and the lever bent, it put something out of whack with the whole starting process. Any ideas please ? I'm assuming removing the tank is a start to get to the cables. But what's the minimum steps I can try to eliminate possibilities? I don't want to risk messing it up more by moving unnecessary parts. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

PS.. plenty of gas in the tank.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: '96 VS800GL Ignition clicks, lights on, NOT STARTING!!

Post by navigator »

First check:
under the clutch lever are 2 wires, unplug them and jumper them together with a piece of wire, paper clip, fuse...whatever.
This is the clutch safety switch, make sure you are in neutral.

Second check:
Make sure the kickstand switch is working....also in neutral.

Then tell us how you made out.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: '96 VS800GL Ignition clicks, lights on, NOT STARTING!!

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the Board

Ride Safe and Post Often :ShitGrinandThumb:

Good advice always check your kill switches first
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"