New guy

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Wolfmen
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1998 Suzuki Intruder 1400

New guy

Post by Wolfmen »

I don't know shit from my ass about working on this f**king motorcycle. But it's been fun anyways.

I'm from commiefornia, cap City. I'm 24 years old on the 12th. I got a 98 Intruder 1400. Front cylinder has never fired consistently. Only on 1/4 or higher throttle. And I had to keep throttle while riding so the bike wouldn't stall every red light. I figured it was dirty carbs from the old man not riding it.

So I took the carbs to this shop, that the guy admits doesn't normally work on bikes this old, to rebuild the carbs with the kits I bought. I took them back, installed them, and had the same symptoms.

So then I uninstalled the carbs, opened them up, and noticed I was a fuc*ing idiot and haven't changed the fuel in the tank or cleaned it. Or changed the fuel lines. So I did that, took the carbs fully apart, and soaked them in acetone. I put them back together, and installed them.

Now I can't get the fuc*er to start. I replaced the junked up throttle cable, and have not done anything with the sync kit I just got, nor have I checked compression. The carbs need to be taken apart again, at least the front. Especially since the choke slide on the side of the front carb is seized. Probably since I had them in a ziplock bad over the week and maybe corroded?

At this point I'm wondering if I should just swap the CV carbs for slide carbs. I'm sure there's a thread or many on it, but I barely figured out this welcome thread.

I really appreciate the information posted up that I've viewed so far. I can read prints for a fab shop, but these diagrams in the maintenance book I have give me headaches. So thanks :rock:

Also, can I curse?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: New guy

Post by navigator »

Well soaking the carbs in acetone likely f'ked up all the rubber parts, especially the slides.
Swapping the CV carbs for slide carbs certainly will open a bag of worms.
Best bet is to blow all the passages clean, replace all the affected rubber and o-rings, reassemble the carbs.
Set the A/F screws about 2-1/2 turns out, get the carbs butterflies to open at the same time, then do a complete sync...both idle, and high speed.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Wolfmen wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 am
Also, can I curse?
Yes
Now you can curse

Wolfmen
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1998 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by Wolfmen »

navigator wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:11 pm
Well soaking the carbs in acetone likely f'ked up all the rubber parts, especially the slides.
Swapping the CV carbs for slide carbs certainly will open a bag of worms.
Best bet is to blow all the passages clean, replace all the affected rubber and o-rings, reassemble the carbs.
Set the A/F screws about 2-1/2 turns out, get the carbs butterflies to open at the same time, then do a complete sync...both idle, and high speed.
Ah piss. I figured I took everything rubber out. Thanks for the tips.

What would you say is the down sides to swapping to slide carbs?
Is it a pain to sync them as well?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

By "slide carbs", do you mean 2 stroke snowmobile, top loaded throttle cable carbs?
I don't think I would go there.
The stockers are CV style and really pretty efficient.
JMO.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:32 pm
Wolfmen wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 am
Also, can I curse?
Yes
Now you can curse
Hi Wolfman,
It's almost fucking expected.
Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Ride safe and post often :ShitGrinandThumb:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"