Helppppp 2004 VL1500LC

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Justwannacruz
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 VL1500LC

Helppppp 2004 VL1500LC

Post by Justwannacruz »

Hey everyone, I have a 2004 VL1500LC that I purchased last week in pretty rough shape. Can someone share a pic of their fuse box? The previous owner rewired mine & im having trouble sorting it out using the wiring diagram

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Helppppp 2004 VL1500LC

Post by Herb »

Welcome aboard.

Glad to have another intruder rider. Please keep us updated on the progress. Pictures are great to have.

Go here for manuals for all of the intruder manuals.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

here is another thread that might help you also.

viewforum.php?f=37
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Online manual for the LC is here: http://www.crowitis.com/mamba/LCService ... -index.htm

It's for a 99 but they didn't change much until the C90. Wiring will be the same.

Lots of other good info here as well: https://www.moccsplace.com/

Justwannacruz
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Justwannacruz »

[/img]

Justwannacruz
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Justwannacruz »

Soooo by using the manual, I saw that there was an O/Y wire going from the missing space in the back of the fuse box belonging to the side stand relay that connects to the O/Y wire for the ignition fuse. I adding a jumper wire and now the wires for the decomp solenoid smokes whenever the ignition is on. Did I wire it correctly? If so, why would the decomp solenoid wires start smoking? Also, even with that jumper wire connected the bike still won’t start. Clutch & kickstand switch have both been bypassed with no success on starting the engine. I tried jumping the relay when I first got it and the starter would turn over but bike wouldn’t start. I’m thinking I need a new wiring harness

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Justwannacruz wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:25 pm
Soooo by using the manual, I saw that there was an O/Y wire going from the missing space in the back of the fuse box belonging to the side stand relay that connects to the O/Y wire for the ignition fuse. I adding a jumper wire and now the wires for the decomp solenoid smokes whenever the ignition is on. Did I wire it correctly? If so, why would the decomp solenoid wires start smoking? Also, even with that jumper wire connected the bike still won’t start. Clutch & kickstand switch have both been bypassed with no success on starting the engine. I tried jumping the relay when I first got it and the starter would turn over but bike wouldn’t start. I’m thinking I need a new wiring harness
Oh Man
I feel your pain

You may have a live short in your de=comp solenoid
You may have wired the power wire to a circuit that is drawing power through the solenoid
With the key on do you have power to your coils?
Does your fuel pump come on?
Does your headlight come on and do you have flashers and or turn signals
Can you engage the starter with the starter button
Try to sort out one circuit at a time

You mentioned you added a jumper wire??
What is the jumper wire for??

Justwannacruz
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Justwannacruz »

I’m starting to regret purchasing the bike lol. With the key on 1. I do have power to the coils.
2. but ever since I’ve had the bike(2weeks now) the fuel pump has never came on when the ignition was switched. I pulled a spare fuel pump and wired it in & it wouldn’t work unless I put 12v directly to the wire. When putting 12v to the factory pump it was not operating correctly so I have a new one otw & I know that circuit isn’t getting power somewhere..
3. The headlights & blinkers all work.
4. I cannot engage the starter using the start button. I’ve tried jumping the clutch and kickstand but that didn’t work either.

5. When I purchased the bike the guy said that it only needed the side stand/cutoff relay that’s in the fuse box. When I turned the fuse box over there was a missing wire. The wire diagram showed that there was an O/Y wire that was there originally there that connected to ignition fuse. So I added the jumper wire lol. I have a new to me wire harness with fuse box, starter relay, killswitch, fuel and side stand relay otw. Sooo hopefully that fixes EVERYTHING if not then I’ll be posting it for parts lmao

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Justwannacruz wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:48 am
I’m starting to regret purchasing the bike lol. With the key on 1. I do have power to the coils.
2. but ever since I’ve had the bike(2weeks now) the fuel pump has never came on when the ignition was switched. I pulled a spare fuel pump and wired it in & it wouldn’t work unless I put 12v directly to the wire. When putting 12v to the factory pump it was not operating correctly so I have a new one otw & I know that circuit isn’t getting power somewhere..
3. The headlights & blinkers all work.
4. I cannot engage the starter using the start button. I’ve tried jumping the clutch and kickstand but that didn’t work either.

5. When I purchased the bike the guy said that it only needed the side stand/cutoff relay that’s in the fuse box. When I turned the fuse box over there was a missing wire. The wire diagram showed that there was an O/Y wire that was there originally there that connected to ignition fuse. So I added the jumper wire lol. I have a new to me wire harness with fuse box, starter relay, killswitch, fuel and side stand relay otw. Sooo hopefully that fixes EVERYTHING if not then I’ll be posting it for parts lmao
That head lights and blinkers are a very good sigh
You mentioned the the de=comp solenoid wires smoke with the key on
Disconnect it
You havnt been able to engage the starter using the stater switch and your pump isnt working
I may be mistaken but I think these two circuits are connected
You use the starter switch to prime the fuel pump
with the kickstand down trans in neutral clutch engaged you prime the pump by pressing the starter switch

Do you have power at the starter switch with the key on

Again disconnect the jumper wire you installed
concentrate on one circuit at a time and make a note of the wires on a peace of paper
Color code schematics can sometimes be wrong

Justwannacruz
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Justwannacruz »

I’m backkkkk & still having the same issues lol. I got the new to me wire harness installed, new kickstand/cutoff relay installed, new starter relay, & I purchased some aftermarket handlebar switches and rewired them to fit the original headlight & ignition plugs. Prior to doing all of this whenever I would switch the key on, the headlight would come on but no neutral switch on the cluster. But now the neutral switch is working properly! However, with the key on, headlights on, pressing the starter button w the clutch in & kickstand up or down there is now power at the NEW starter relay!?!? What am I missing??? Could it be the stator & generator assembly? I saw that on another forum that those items could cause this no start issue.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Do you have the clutch switch connected or bypassed? Won't crank if that's not sorted.

Justwannacruz
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Justwannacruz »

I have the clutch and kickstand switch both bypassed to guarantee that they’ll work but still no start

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Justwannacruz wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:51 pm
I have the clutch and kickstand switch both bypassed to guarantee that they’ll work but still no start
Connected each pair of wires? Haven't just pulled the switch plugs?

Justwannacruz
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Justwannacruz »

I used jumper wires & unplugged them both

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Justwannacruz wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:51 pm
Locate your starter solenoid it may look something like this
one cable is connected to the battery and should have power the other goes to the starter and will be energized when the starter switch is pressed
the small wire is energized when the stater switch is pressed
you should have power to one of the large posts
the small post will have power when the starter button is pressed and you should have power to the other large post

You can check the starter signal at the small connection with a test light
And test the solenoid by jumping the small connection with a jumper from the positive side of the battery

All safety will be bypassed so make sure your bike is in neutral

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board.
Ride Safe and Post often :ShitGrinandThumb:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Starter relay is under the LHS fake tank cover - towards the front. It has a main fuse (40 amp I think).

Looks like this: