New rider in Seattle

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 Suzuki Intruder VS700GL

Re: New rider in Seattle

Post by bdschultz »

Inquiry about best practices for bike care, a.k.a., cleaning, detailing.

FWIW: I generally seek simple solutions. Soap/cleaner, wax, and a leather treatment (cleaner/conditioner), though I would also like a recommendation on a quick detailing product.

Also, I did learn about S100, but the instructions recommended using a concentrated water stream at the bike, which seems suspect to me. I can't imagine it's good to use anything more than a light spray, but again, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

bdschultz wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 8:12 pm
Inquiry about best practices for bike care, a.k.a., cleaning, detailing.

FWIW: I generally seek simple solutions. Soap/cleaner, wax, and a leather treatment (cleaner/conditioner), though I would also like a recommendation on a quick detailing product.

Also, I did learn about S100, but the instructions recommended using a concentrated water stream at the bike, which seems suspect to me. I can't imagine it's good to use anything more than a light spray, but again, I'm all ears.

Thanks.
You can use a high pressure cleaner on bikes - just not a good idea to point it directly at seals or bearings as water can be pushed past these.

I use this stuff as a general wash / cleaner:

I put a 10:1 watered down solution in a spray bottle and douse the entire bike. Leave for 5 minutes or so and hose it off. Works great.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 8:22 pm

You can use a high pressure cleaner on bikes - just not a good idea to point it directly at seals or bearings as water can be pushed past these.

I put a 10:1 watered down solution in a spray bottle and douse the entire bike. Leave for 5 minutes or so and hose it off. Works great.
Gotcha. It's about where and where not to aim the water stream.

But aside from the seals and bearings, the other concern is the electronics. But maybe the answer is the same, careful where and how you rinse.

Anyway, thanks for alleviating my concerns somewhat, appreciate it. As for the superwash, I'll see if I can find that stuff stateside.

Any leather specific tips?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

your bike should handle high speed spray from the front, like driving in pouring rain. Avoid direct spray from the rear on electronics, but most are sealed well.
No leather on you bike, unless your bags are leather, any leather conditioner will work, shoe store or furniture products.

Meguire makes a quick detailing spray that works well, mist it on wipe it off. Microfiber cloths work great.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

navigator wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:43 am
your bike should handle high speed spray from the front, like driving in pouring rain. Avoid direct spray from the rear on electronics, but most are sealed well...Meguire makes a quick detailing spray that works well, mist it on wipe it off. Microfiber cloths work great.
Good point, re, spray from front. Was looking at Meguiar's, thanks.
No leather on you bike, unless your bags are leather, any leather conditioner will work, shoe store or furniture products.
The saddle on my bike isn't leather? Thought it was.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

All this cleaning stuff is just future reference, my bike looks great at the moment...except for one new feature:

Learned the "remember your lock" lesson the hard way yesterday. :bang: Basically cosmetic, so not a huge deal.

Any tips for working out that dent?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Spin the cover around so it's facing the tyre?

Although that's a fairly large ding - you might have the take the spring out and pop the dent out a bit...or replace / remove the cover.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 3:55 pm
Spin the cover around so it's facing the tyre?

Although that's a fairly large ding - you might have the take the spring out and pop the dent out a bit...or replace / remove the cover.
Yeah, removing the spring and working out the dent is the plan.

Wouldn't even know where to find the cover. I've looked, found nothing.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

If you just remove the lower covers they'll look more or less like this:

The top of the shock should unscrew from the shaft - there should be a locknut underneath if you look through the spring. The spring is under tension so be careful - you will need to compress it a bit.