New rider in Seattle

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 Suzuki Intruder VS700GL

New rider in Seattle

Post by bdschultz »

Hi All, and thanks for creating and sustaining this forum for all us new folks.

Brand spanking new rider here. Spent decades on bicycles and cargo ebikes, both wrenching and riding, but that's all the experience I carry with me. Taking a riding course next week to get my permit and looking to move right into my first bike.

The one I have my eye on is a seemingly pristine 1986 Suzuki Intruder VS700GL. The big question: is this a good option for a first bike, specifically around repairs? Will I be able to find parts and accessories? I'm reasonably confident in my ability to learn a bike, mechanically and riding-wise. I know it will take time, and that's fine. What concerns me is that the greatest challenge won't be riding or performing the actual repair but instead to be scouring the world over for a part that simply doesn't exist.

Very eager to hear your thoughts, and thanks in advance.

-Ben

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: New rider in Seattle

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

No worries for you about fixing your ride, Fallen Angel is near!
FallenAngel wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:33 pm
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Whilst Intruders are pretty good bikes....if I was looking for my first bike all over again I would get a Ninja 300 / 400 or CBR300 / 500.

As a new rider you want something bulletproof and reliable so you can get miles under your belt and not have to worry about whether the bike is going to break down.

Also cruiser style bikes are not the best sort of bikes to learn on - something more standard as far as bars / pegs / seat is much easier to control as a new rider.

Ride the Ninja for 12 months and then look for something like an Intruder when you have more riding experience.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

May I Welcome you!. Glad you are here.

You will find that the seating position/bars,etc. of the Intruders are designed pretty well and are comfortable for a New Rider.
Especially the smaller sizes (700/750/800). Upkeep/Maintenance Parts are still available. And if you need assistance, we are all here,.with a few notable experts in those bikes being Navigator, Lechy and a few others. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Welcome to the boards
Cruiser style bikes In my opinion are better start up bikes then the sport style bikes.
I think something you ride in a natural sitting position as apposed to ride on in a hunched over position is better for control.
I myself wouldnt buy anything smaller then a 600cc bike. although I know someone who bought a Honda 250 rebel as a first bike and still rides it daily I think you might find you may outgrow to soon

Other then the funky fuel delivery systems of the Suzuki Intruder the bikes are pretty straight forward
But finding a bike mechanic that really knows how to work on the intruder fuel system in Seattle is difficult
Hillsey
Your avitar looks like an eye test for color blindness

bdschultz
Yours looks like a death mask

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

FallenAngel wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:19 pm
Welcome to the boards
Cruiser style bikes In my opinion are better start up bikes then the sport style bikes.
I think something you ride in a natural sitting position as apposed to ride on in a hunched over position is better for control.
I myself wouldnt buy anything smaller then a 600cc bike. although I know someone who bought a Honda 250 rebel as a first bike and still rides it daily I think you might find you may outgrow to soon
Thanks, FA, happy to be meeting you all. I definitely see the wisdom in starting small and sporty, terms of agility and simplicity, as hillsy suggests. That said, I think I lean toward your suggestion, getting into something with a natural sitting position, as well as a bike that challenges me a bit and that I can grow into, especially since I know I'll eventually want to take in longer rides.
Other then the funky fuel delivery systems of the Suzuki Intruder the bikes are pretty straight forward
But finding a bike mechanic that really knows how to work on the intruder fuel system in Seattle is difficult
What makes the fuel systems tricky? Is it the carb system? And do you do all your own work?

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 pm
May I Welcome you!. Glad you are here.

You will find that the seating position/bars,etc. of the Intruders are designed pretty well and are comfortable for a New Rider.
Especially the smaller sizes (700/750/800). Upkeep/Maintenance Parts are still available. And if you need assistance, we are all here,.with a few notable experts in those bikes being Navigator, Lechy and a few others. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Thanks, Designer.

Where do you source your parts? I've found a handful of sites that, like you said, have various rebuild kits (seals and springs, etc.) for maintenance, but more substantial parts seems to be less prevalent.

Hopefully those folks will jump in with suggestions, links, etc.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

bdschultz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:45 pm
What makes the fuel systems tricky? Is it the carb system? And do you do all your own work?
The biggest problem is the separation of the front and rear carbs that use a sync cable to synchronize them
Multi-able cables to operate the carbs
The throttle cable goes into a splitter under the tank
the rear carb is gravity feed as it is lower then the fuel tank
the frnt needs a fuel pump that goes through the rear carb so if you loose the fuel pump you loose the frnt cylinder

Yes I do most of my own work on my bikes

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:18 pm
Whilst Intruders are pretty good bikes....if I was looking for my first bike all over again I would get a Ninja 300 / 400 or CBR300 / 500.

As a new rider you want something bulletproof and reliable so you can get miles under your belt and not have to worry about whether the bike is going to break down.

Also cruiser style bikes are not the best sort of bikes to learn on - something more standard as far as bars / pegs / seat is much easier to control as a new rider.

Ride the Ninja for 12 months and then look for something like an Intruder when you have more riding experience.
Thanks hillsy, appreciate this. What would you think of a 1990 Suzuki VX800? Just came across one, seems to be a bit sportier but borrows a lot from the Intruder (shaft drive, v-Twin, etc.) The other things it has going for it are A) price, and B) styling I like.

In general, most of the bikes I'm looking at can be got for under $3000, which is my budget. A couple friends have suggested various sport models but invariably when I find them they're always exceeding my budget. Also, if I 'm being honest, sport bikes don't really appeal to me aesthetically. But I'm trying to be flexible on that front. I hear you on getting something that allows time to learn the ropes without too much fuss.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:55 pm
Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.
Thanks! Appreciate the info.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

bdschultz wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:01 am
hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:18 pm

Thanks hillsy, appreciate this. What would you think of a 1990 Suzuki VX800? Just came across one, seems to be a bit sportier but borrows a lot from the Intruder (shaft drive, v-Twin, etc.) The other things it has going for it are A) price, and B) styling I like.

In general, most of the bikes I'm looking at can be got for under $3000, which is my budget. A couple friends have suggested various sport models but invariably when I find them they're always exceeding my budget. Also, if I 'm being honest, sport bikes don't really appeal to me aesthetically. But I'm trying to be flexible on that front. I hear you on getting something that allows time to learn the ropes without too much fuss.
XV800 is a sweet bike. It is however a 30+ year old bike so can bring with it a lot of wrenching.

Like I said earlier - something newer and a bit smaller would be my advice. If a 300 is too small then there's a bunch of 500 through to 650s that would be good - Ninja 650, CB500, SV650, etc.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

bdschultz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:51 pm
Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 pm
May I Welcome you!. Glad you are here. You will find that the seating position/bars,etc. of the Intruders are designed pretty well and are comfortable for a New Rider. Especially the smaller sizes (700/750/800). Upkeep/Maintenance Parts are still available. And if you need assistance, we are all here,.with a few notable experts in those bikes being Navigator, Lechy and a few others. :ShitGrinandThumb:
Thanks, Designer.
Where do you source your parts? I've found a handful of sites that, like you said, have various rebuild kits (seals and springs, etc.) for maintenance, but more substantial parts seems to be less prevalent. Hopefully those folks will jump in with suggestions, links, etc.
You are welcome. :bow:

A bit of clarification please,..when you mention.."More Substantial Parts"....I'm not clear on what parts you seek.

When learning to Ride,...do consider your Size when choosing a "learner" bike. I've been a Ride Leader for over 20 years now, and have had alot New Riders joining in along with friends to get some Road Experience before going out on their own ( some call it "confidence building"). I liked to inquire about them and their Bikes and found that too small quickly became an issue so they upgraded. Most all that had done so went to around the 700-800 cc size, and all were cruisers. None reported any handling issues and did like the Riding Position as it was described as comfortable.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

A bit of clarification please,..when you mention.."More Substantial Parts"....I'm not clear on what parts you seek.
Good point. Probably worth mentioning again that I'm learning how to discuss this stuff, so apologies for being unclear. So, for example, the front caliper: Went to Suzuki Parts Nation (https://www.suzukipartsnation.com/oempa ... nt-caliper) and all the small parts/internals are available, but the full assembly is not, particularly the piston set. But maybe I'm worrying about things that don't wear out typically, and it's a moot.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

FallenAngel wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:19 pm

bdschultz
Yours looks like a death mask
Pretty much. Hands of Orlac (1924)

Also haven't received my permissions to send direct messages, FA, but as we're in the same city, it would be rad to connect and talk shop. Let me know if you're game.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

bdschultz wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 pm
Good point. Probably worth mentioning again that I'm learning how to discuss this stuff, so apologies for being unclear. So, for example, the front caliper: Went to Suzuki Parts Nation (https://www.suzukipartsnation.com/oempa ... nt-caliper) and all the small parts/internals are available, but the full assembly is not, particularly the piston set. But maybe I'm worrying about things that don't wear out typically, and it's a moot.
No worries. You're doing fine.

We have found that you virtually never need the whole caliper assembly. If you did, you could probably find it a Motorcycle bone yard.

Just about all the Maintenance/Upkeep items are still available, so you needn't let that hold you back.

AND!,...you have one our Best Guys living right near you. He's "In The Know" and reliable.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

bdschultz wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 pm
So, for example, the front caliper: Went to Suzuki Parts Nation (https://www.suzukipartsnation.com/oempa ... nt-caliper) and all the small parts/internals are available, but the full assembly is not, particularly the piston set. But maybe I'm worrying about things that don't wear out typically, and it's a moot.
eBay will have caliper rebuild kits with pistons if you ever need - and in fact eBay is a good source of most consumable parts for older bikes.

But be warned - sometimes Mr Suzuki still has parts and sometimes cheaper than aftermaket so it's always a good idea to check OEM first.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Everett Power Sports is a good source
215 SW Everett Mall Way, Everett, WA 98204
+142-534-74545
bdschultz wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:12 pm

Also haven't received my permissions to send direct messages, FA, but as we're in the same city, it would be rad to connect and talk shop. Let me know if you're game.
Sure
Im in the North End

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:55 pm

eBay will have caliper rebuild kits with pistons if you ever need - and in fact eBay is a good source of most consumable parts for older bikes.

But be warned - sometimes Mr Suzuki still has parts and sometimes cheaper than aftermaket so it's always a good idea to check OEM first.
Solid tip. Seems like eBay has plenty. Any insight on how to determine a reputable source, besides the feedback rating?

Yep, I'll always try to find OEM first.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

FallenAngel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:41 pm
Everett Power Sports is a good source
215 SW Everett Mall Way, Everett, WA 98204
+142-534-74545

Sure
Im in the North End
Thanks. They're a distance from me, but I'll keep them in mind. Currently looking into a place called Scottie's Speed Shop in Queen Anne. Used to be called Motoshed. Looks like they work on older UJMs but also allow folks to reserve bench time and do repairs on the premises.

I'm a south ender, White Center area. What's Monday next week looking like for you? Maybe meet in the middle (though I'd happily take the longer drive to avoid the city proper).

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Everett power sports has 95% of the parts you would need to keep an Intruder running. If that is the direction you choose to go

I now of Moto Shed and have visited them in the past
Its more of a club house then a shop where you rent shop space to work on your bike.
Not that its a bad thing The owners are knowledgeable and from what I understand very helpful
But its been awhile since i have stopped in
I just drive by and check out the bikes

I work Mondays so that wont work