New rider in Seattle

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: New rider in Seattle

Post by sgtcall »

Mine lift is easy to use and once the bike is on the lift it just sits there with no wobble at all. On the lift I made for the intruder I had eye bolts in the top so I could run ratchet straps to hold it in place. I only used the straps if I was ding something that required more work. I have not added them to this one yet because all I really need to do to the Triumph is change fluids and wax the chain. I did add an old piece of carpet to the lift after the picture was taken just to protect the frame but soft wood doesn't really hurt it anyway. If you need the front wheel up you just move the lift more to the front so it works for both wheels.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 Suzuki Intruder VS700GL

Post by bdschultz »

Lots of great advice on jacks and lifts here, thanks all.

Ultimately I'll probably get a proper jack but for the time being I'm going to head out to the garage and make a temporary one out of lumber, because...

I may have my first issue, which is: I noticed there is no daylight between my front brake pads and the rotor. After some preliminary digging, sounds like some pad contact is expected, that it's really more about whether the wheel spins freely (a.k.a., rotates a handful of times before coming to a stop).

Would love to have you all weigh in on this. The service manual doesn't seem to have much information in the way of adjustments or tolerances when it comes to this scenario.

Also - took my maiden voyage this morning! Felt like a newborn calf trying to walk out there but I had a blast!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

bdschultz wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:46 am
I may have my first issue, which is: I noticed there is no daylight between my front brake pads and the rotor. After some preliminary digging, sounds like some pad contact is expected, that it's really more about whether the wheel spins freely (a.k.a., rotates a handful of times before coming to a stop).
Would love to have you all weigh in on this. The service manual doesn't seem to have much information in the way of adjustments or tolerances when it comes to this scenario.
Yes, since the Pads are not attached to the Pistons, they will not fully retract. Thus there will be some sort of Pad-to-Rotor contact. Just so long as the Wheel spins freely, (when on the Stand to test this) you don't hear any weird noises, you should be just fine.

bdschultz wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:46 am
......Also - took my maiden voyage this morning! Felt like a newborn calf trying to walk out there but I had a blast!
GREAT! :clap:
Soon you will be grinning ear-to-ear and lovin' the whole experience. :rock:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Intruder brake pads are easy, you don't even need to lift the bike. The only real tools you need are needle nose pliers and something to compress the pistons ( always used angle nose pliers and the old pad, let the hate begin, sometimes I used a C clamp). Just pull the cover off the caliber and then pull the cotter pins. The retaining bar slides right out then pull the pads. Compress the pistons and put new pads in.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 pm
Intruder brake pads are easy, you don't even need to lift the bike. The only real tools you need are needle nose pliers and something to compress the pistons ( always used angle nose pliers and the old pad, let the hate begin, sometimes I used a C clamp). Just pull the cover off the caliber and then pull the cotter pins. The retaining bar slides right out then pull the pads. Compress the pistons and put new pads in.
Thank you, sgtcal, big help.

I almost did exactly this, because the procedure for hydraulic brakes on bicycles is almost identical. I'll push the pistons with a small piece of plastic, rigid foam, etc. - something softer.

The pads themselves seem healthy, so I'll probably just clean them up a bit and reinstall.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
I do a similar method to press back the Piston. I use a piece of Wood Shim (it's thin enough to fit there) that fits against the Rotor and then use a small Pry Bar to push the Piston back.

But first!...I check the Fluid Level of the Master Cylinder and use a old Turkey Baster to remove excess. So that when Both Pistons are pushed back, I don't have the excess Brake Fluid resisting the Pistons movement and/or Leaking out and all over things like Paint and stuff.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Make sure you don't have crud or rust on the pistons before you push them back into the caliper - you might end up with leaking seals if you do.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Crack the bleeder open
Catch the old fluid in a bottle

You dont want to contaminate your brake fluid with the fluid that has been cooking in the caliper

Then flush with new fluid

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:41 pm
Crack the bleeder open

You dont want to contaminate your brake fluid with the fluid that has been cooking in the caliper

Yeah - this is probably the best thing to do. Don't even bother trying to push the piston back in - just flush out the old fluid.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

But never empty the fluid. Replace from the top as you go. If you get air in the lines it is a PIA to get out.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Change the fluid annually, condensation will turn it brown.
Remove the fluid from the master with a turkey baster, wipe it clean. Don't touch the lever.
Refill with fresh fluid, bleed the line.
Have a beer and admire your work. JMO

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 pm
But never empty the fluid. Replace from the top as you go. If you get air in the lines it is a PIA to get out.
navigator wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:06 am
Remove the fluid from the master with a turkey baster, wipe it clean. Don't touch the lever.
These ^^^^ :wink: :rock:

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 pm
Thanks, sgtcall. I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_6jUWC6vtw

Fella's head is in the way but his process is clear and he also emphasizes keeping the reservoir full, or at least avoiding emptying it entirely. The Part 1 video is basically prep (covering bike, tools, etc.)

Any critiques of his method?

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

navigator wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:06 am
Thanks, nav. Good advice, all around. :cheers:

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:41 pm
Crack the bleeder open

Thanks, FA.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

Designer wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:21 pm
sgtcall wrote:
I do a similar method to press back the Piston. I use a piece of Wood Shim (it's thin enough to fit there) that fits against the Rotor and then use a small Pry Bar to push the Piston back.

But first!...I check the Fluid Level of the Master Cylinder and use a old Turkey Baster to remove excess. So that when Both Pistons are pushed back, I don't have the excess Brake Fluid resisting the Pistons movement and/or Leaking out and all over things like Paint and stuff.
Thanks, Designer. Looks like I'm off to the thrift store for a turkey baster.

bdschultz
Practicing Bicycling

Post by bdschultz »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 pm
bdschultz wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm
Anyone have recommendations for a jack or scissor lift, preferably under $100?

Also, I'm all ears on alternate solutions. I want to avoid Macguyvering (lots of) straps to the ceiling, stacking wood, etc. Looking for something rock solid with minimal fuss.

Thanks all.
I still use a home made lift that has never failed me. I think I invested about $5.00 in it. Plenty of videos on Youtube of how to build one and how it works.

Finally got around to making one of these, totally did the job.

On that note, while there's still rubbing on the rotor, the wheel seems to be spinning pretty well, so I may hold off on changing out the fluid. Indicator window shows it looking full and clear, and the previous owner (who was meticulous) said all the fluids should be good for a while.

Probably going to do an oil change and leave the rest until fall/winter.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

bdschultz wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:13 pm
Finally got around to making one of these, totally did the job.

On that note, while there's still rubbing on the rotor, the wheel seems to be spinning pretty well, so I may hold off on changing out the fluid. Indicator window shows it looking full and clear, and the previous owner (who was meticulous) said all the fluids should be good for a while.

This all makes good sense.

Go For It! And Ride. :rock:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

bdschultz wrote:
Intruders always have a little rubbing on the rotor so you will hear some noise. You learn to live with it.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

bdschultz wrote:

Your pads will always make contact with the rotors
This helps to keep your rotor clean and the contact is minimal