Howdy from Alberta Canada

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
3andit
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS1400

Howdy from Alberta Canada

Post by 3andit »

Howdy all! I'm new here obviously. Just popping in to say hi.
I have a few different bikes that I like to ride and or work on... Hope to learn lots from this forum ! Image

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Re: Howdy from Alberta Canada

Post by scootermcq »

Welcome from Oshawa, ON.

I lived in Calgary & Edmonton for about 7 years. My son is actually a true Calgarian.

Nice collection...
Scott

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Welcome [emoji106] .See you have a few I have had. My basment and barn are full of stuff I have broken or torn apart and not got parts or parts bike to repair yet :bonk: .Should sell or part out most as at 70 most likely will never get around to fixing them.If I put over 50,000 on one and do not sell usually tear it up too bad to be worth the money to put on the road again.
The first twin that not much is showing and head pipes off,is that a 650 Yamaha ? I have just the motor to one with no carbs got years ago in a pick up load buy out.Post often and see you are all ready showing pics!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Welcome! :cheers: :clap:

Always good to hear from one of our Neighbors to the North. [emoji106]

Nice stable of toys you have there. :rock:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

3andit
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 3andit »

old time rider wrote:Welcome [emoji106] .See you have a few I have had. My basment and barn are full of stuff I have broken or torn apart and not got parts or parts bike to repair yet :bonk: .Should sell or part out most as at 70 most likely will never get around to fixing them.If I put over 50,000 on one and do not sell usually tear it up too bad to be worth the money to put on the road again.
The first twin that not much is showing and head pipes off,is that a 650 Yamaha ? I have just the motor to one with no carbs got years ago in a pick up load buy out.Post often and see you are all ready showing pics!
You betcha! That is a 1975 XS650B and it was my first bike... I have torn it down and rebuilt it twice now and I have also had it burn to the ground once on me due to faulty wiring lol she's temperamental but I love her haha right now I just finished a complete engine rebuild and some electronic upgrades... That's why she's apart

3andit
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 3andit »

That's all I have for bikes right Now but I have a few sleds and some other off road toys not in the pic :-) that vs1400 is why I am here, trying to get it to run correctly but I need some expert advice

3andit
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 3andit »

scootermcq wrote:Welcome from Oshawa, ON.

I lived in Calgary & Edmonton for about 7 years. My son is actually a true Calgarian.

Nice collection...

That's awesome ! I live just west of Edmonton in Spruce Grove

3andit
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 3andit »

This is the 650 when it is together... This time tho it will be all open... No battery, no air box and upgraded to VM34s. It will look more like a typical café style bike

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

I loved my XS650..... I bought a 1974 in 1990 with 1,500 km on the speedo. The lady had it listed to $700 and it had been sitting in the shed for 15 years since her husband died. It looked like it came off the showroom floor (once I cleaned the 8" of dust off). Needed new vacuum lines and the carbs needed cleaning but she was awesome until a car did a left turn infront of me.
Scott

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

I have two old 1980 SR500 Yamahas in my stash.Got both really low mile way back in early 80s.Put over 80,000 on one and lots on the other.Like the 650 they have got to be kind of cult now and prices keep going up.I love the Brit look of both.The 650 Kaw 650 sure got the look with the last one. The real old 650 they had that was the first four stroke they made may have been just a real enfield copy?

3andit
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 3andit »

old time rider wrote:I have two old 1980 SR500 Yamahas in my stash.Got both really low mile way back in early 80s.Put over 80,000 on one and lots on the other.Like the 650 they have got to be kind of cult now and prices keep going up.I love the Brit look of both.The 650 Kaw 650 sure got the look with the last one. The real old 650 they had that was the first four stroke they made may have been just a real enfield copy?
Those SR500s are nice bikes, a buddy of mine has one, really cool bikes

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The new SR400 looks to be about the same with smaller bore and wire wheels. Same kick over till pointer lines up in top site glass then stand on it. The XT and TT were around lots longer.The SR 500 came to North America for four years. 78,79 have disc brakes both ends. 80,81 they went to a drum rear brake and lighter fly wheels. All have deeper cooling fins than the TT,XT brothers. Mine kick started really good. [emoji106] They do not like interstate speeds long and mine took the same bearing out for second time on the 80,000 one taking part of the case with it :eek: .One allso cracked the frame at the spot were the oil is in it.They like to shake! Had to put my rain suit bottom on to ride the fifty miles back home. Just a little oil goes a long way when coming back on you. [emoji2] If you run across one that looks good enough to save pull the square bottom inspection tray off the motor.If its got pieces of bearing in the screen pull the left side case to make sure the inner case is ok and a bearing is all you need.They are so much fun solo on a tight back road.
Love old bikes and trucks.

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 VS1400

Post by Cerberus73 »

Hi, welcome to the site, I have family over in Alberta, and in BC. and plan on taking a trip over there in the next yr or 2. They live in Drumheller, and Edmonton. and the others ranch just over the border in BC. I looked at buying an intruder there to ride around on for the duration then to sell it on before i left.. the insurance was a killer! jeez they hit you guys for insurance in Canada, and so many registration regs from what i could find out.

We moan about insurance here in the UK.. for half the price 1 intruder would cost me in Canada, i insure 5 bikes fully comprehensive with full euro recovery and agreed valuation here in the UK. Great collection you have there.

3andit
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 3andit »

Cerberus73 wrote:Hi, welcome to the site, I have family over in Alberta, and in BC. and plan on taking a trip over there in the next yr or 2. They live in Drumheller, and Edmonton. and the others ranch just over the border in BC. I looked at buying an intruder there to ride around on for the duration then to sell it on before i left.. the insurance was a killer! jeez they hit you guys for insurance in Canada, and so many registration regs from what i could find out.

We moan about insurance here in the UK.. for half the price 1 intruder would cost me in Canada, i insure 5 bikes fully comprehensive with full euro recovery and agreed valuation here in the UK. Great collection you have there.
Haha! I thought my insurance was cheap! I know after x amount of years with a good record the price drops. Don't know what they were quoting you but I have 4 bikes 2 trucks 2 sleds 1 SxS and a House insured for 350 a month... Again I don't know if that's good or not but around here it seems to be

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Welcome from P.E.I. :)
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

welcome aboard!!
-DBTO

Cerberus73
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1986 VS1400

Post by Cerberus73 »

Ah im £237 (about $408 Canadian) a year for 5 bikes, fully comprehensive, full euro breakdown cover and recovery, guaranteed valuation, full no claims bonus and no claims protection. so going by what you said id reckon $350 canadian a month would be pretty darn steep. My wallet would cry at those prices! [emoji2]

Think thats what put me off, the cost of the insurance was about half the price of the 1400 i was eyeballing on a dealers site.

3andit
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 3andit »

Cerberus73 wrote:Ah im £237 (about $408 Canadian) a year for 5 bikes, fully comprehensive, full euro breakdown cover and recovery, guaranteed valuation, full no claims bonus and no claims protection. so going by what you said id reckon $350 canadian a month would be pretty darn steep. My wallet would cry at those prices! [emoji2]

Think thats what put me off, the cost of the insurance was about half the price of the 1400 i was eyeballing on a dealers site.

Yeah I'm getting ripped off haha

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Post by Night_Wolf »

Welcome & have a look @ the Wrenching & Tips section of my site (in my sigfile) for some good info on your bike :cheers:

I live just South of Calgary in Okotoks if you need some help or advice :naughty:
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image