What a struggle!!

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

What a struggle!!

Post by pmhearns12 »

Good morning all, I have ridden motorcycles for some years now, first on a small 85cc 4stroke dirtbike. The carb maintenance was a breeze. Moving up as a got older I got into sport bikes and much like cars, I felt as though fuel injected was easy as well, had no issues maintaining my 600 at all. Did all my own work. I eventually sold it and in january found a gorgeous 2005 Suzuki s83. Only 4800 miles for 2500$. No rust at all and very very little bubbling of the chrome on the risers for the hbars. Now, when I bought it, the pipes were nice and chrome... obviously it had been sitting due to age and lack of miles. After putting a low few hundred miles on it driving around lean (popping and poor acceleration) and turning the headers a terrible faded blue color and saving money to get the carbs cleaned and a tune up, I got it done. Now, here we are... I still feel like they aren't synced well enough and still possibly slightly lean. I occasionally get a pop or 2 when letting off the throttle and runs fairly poor while cold (central Florida cold, like 50 degrees). I have no tach but I feel as though the idle is slightly low. I cannot adjust it because the shop I took it too has the idle screw all the way in. I know that can't be correct. Only thing is, I am terrified to try and open things and get it resolved my self. The dual carb is intimidating to me and I don't want screw it up more and then not be able to fix it and then have to enevitably take it back to a shop and empty my checking account(wife isn't too fond of that). I feel it still lacks some power, possibly just needs uncorking... I want to learn all of this stuff but it seems increasingly difficult the more I learn.

I have built several car engines(hondas) and work in a tool room doing machine work, but yet, something about these dual carb things is really getting to me, lol. Is it really that complicated or am I just over thinking it? When I see that you need vacuum gauges and or mercury sticks and trial and error and spending 1.5 hours to take a carbs off cleaning them, or possibly rejetting and shimming, to put it back on 1.5 hours later, and it not work and have to start over again... that sounds like a pain.

Ugh, venting... lol... all my buddies take their bike to a few different shops, one guy is loaded and doesn't care about spending money and yhe rest are Harley guys who go to shops who refuse work on Japanese bikes(fools, money is money)..

I'll get it over time but until glad to be here reading and riding

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: What a struggle!!

Post by old time rider »

Welcome :cheers: Rode most my life and at 70 now still main means of travel.Have done most my own work on over thirty bikes.Unless you just want perfect all the time no need to fiddle with them all the time.My C50 with over 30,000 has never had more than oil changes at home and wheels taken off and tires on and balanced then back home and on.My 650 Vstrom has had the valves checked at 35,000 and were perfect so at 53,000 still starts and runs like new so with that many miles and worth no more than they are I do not fiddle just ride.My 1996 1400 went 45,000 with just oil/filter changes and ran like new when sold.Let them set too long is a bad thing.Put some cleaner in the gas once in a while and ride.My 1400 sat in the winter more than any as worse starting bike under 30 I ever owned :tongue: .Other wise a good strong motor.Some good wrenchs here that love to fiddle as much as ride.They can do a lot to help if need be.Post often and hope the 1400 turns out good.If not pick up another one cheap. [emoji106]

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

Yeah it's not that I mind tinkering.... I just like tearing down and rebuilding. I open and clean son's crf50 carb once a month(they boy gets it dirty) and adjust valves regularly(and he is actually starting to want to help out and he's barely 5 :) ) but 'tinkering' on my daily rider has me troubled I guess because I like riding so damn much I don't want to go down even for a day lol.

I also got a hold of a '88 750 for 150$ that only needed the clutch cover replaced and while taking it apart the exhaust bolt snapped. I'm going to start 'tinkering' on that bike and hopefully that will easy my mind. Thanks for the comment!

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Throw your hat n the corner and stay a little longer [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"