Hi Folks...trying to get back into the game

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Hi Folks...trying to get back into the game

Post by Spacecoast »

Hi everyone. I used to own an Intruder 1400, but sold my 1992 after about five years of ownership due to having two active kids and lack of time. I currently have a Yamaha FZ-09 which I enjoy, but looking for a second bike that would be different. My old Intruder initially gave me some serious back pain until I had the seat foam increased by about two inches. Not sure if anyone else ever raised the seat, but it made a world of difference for me. I'm looking at two bikes in my area...a 2002 with 5K miles and a 2008 with 15K. I like the 2008 (S83) with the risers and straight/drag bar, the 2002 is cheaper, but I'm concerned with the age and low mileage of the 2002 VS. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to raise the rider area on the 2008 seat since the S83 has a single seat whereas the VS 2002 has two individual units. Any thoughts? Any real differences between the models that I need to know? Thanks...

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Hi Folks...trying to get back into the game

Post by old time rider »

Welcome. As far as I know the drive line is the same on the S83 as the VS.Looks wise the rear bar gone and tool box between the jugs on right side that makes the nice tall jugs look shorter.Do like the low bar better.Seats feel the same to me when I trade rides.Most put Mustang seats on them that I ride with.I had the stock one on mine the 45,000 put on it.Did make a rear FLST seat and bar for the wife as she had so much hate for my 1400.She loved my old Harley and Nomad seats and ok with the RoadStar.Good luck on your pick and post often. :cheers:

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

"Do like the low bar better.Seats feel the same to me when I trade rides."

I wasn't a fan of the buck-horn handlebar on my 92 VS, but I got used to them. In checking "motorcycle ergonomics" the hand position of the S83 looks slightly higher and I'm sure the wrist/palm position would be more horizontal, which I think would be better. Interesting that the seats feel the same between the two bikes. My old Intruder just felt too low, and once I had the rider seat increased it was a much better ride for me. No more back aches. Thank for your reply.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

I ride a lot but sure not one to judge a good seat as I stand so much.At 70 now can still ride all day if you let me stand on the pegs often.Did a 900+ day at 69 on way back from Colorado. My wife does not like me doing it for a few miles if she is on.Some bikes are so easy like my Vstrom and regular low bar sportsters .On ones like my Nomad ,and Harley if she is on just brace my feet on the running boards and raise my butt about two inches off the seat.Do this often and about as good as standing to work your legs,back,and just feel better all over for me.That ,eat less,and drink lots of water is key to day light to dark rides for me for years.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

Have an agreement on a 2005 S-83, and picking it up tomorrow. Hope its as good in person as in the photos.

Edit...so I purchased the bike. A little more "rough" than I thought it would be, but I plan on cleaning it up. My wife says it looks fairly new, but I guess I'm much more particular when it comes to my machines. The bike has 10K miles, black with stock exhaust. It seems to run ok...very different riding experience compared to my Yamaha FZ-09. I wanted something to be different...

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

So here is my 2005 S83 that I picked up. Has 10K miles on it...got it back together today and runs very well. Only issue is a slightly high idle.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

You are too picky that bike looks good. Owned more sport bikes than any of over 30.Had both cruisers and sport at same time most every year when in my 30s and 40s.Your FZ and the 1400 are two way apart.Enjoy the slow lane for a while.I sure do not miss the lots of tickets and traffic school twice!Post often. :cheers:

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

old time rider wrote:You are too picky that bike looks good. Owned more sport bikes than any of over 30.Had both cruisers and sport at same time most every year when in my 30s and 40s.Your FZ and the 1400 are two way apart.Enjoy the slow lane for a while.I sure do not miss the lots of tickets and traffic school twice!Post often. :cheers:
Yeah the bike does look good...after a week of cleaning, scrubbing, and detailing all the chips and nicks on the paint and cleaning every single spot I could get my hands on. I also re-installed the tool holder after I cleaned the engine fins. I rode both the FZ and S83 yesterday...and what a difference! The FZ was like riding a Ferrari that was fine-tuned...whereas the S83 was like driving a monster truck. They both put a huge smile on my face. :clap:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Throw your hat in the corner and stay a little longer [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"