Hello from vs700 starter land.

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
miketron75
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 86 intruder

Hello from vs700 starter land.

Post by miketron75 »

Hello, I just joined this forum and I hope I'm in the right place because I am working on a 1986 vs700 and it needs a new starter. The story is that the solenoid is good the kickstand switch has been bypassed the clutch safety switch and neutral safety switch appear to be functioning and the starter switch at the handle also appears to work so I have been given the bike and a good a starter to install. I ordered a manual but if anyone can help me with some instructions I would be very appreciative! The stand indicator light is always on on the gauge display but it can't be started by jumping the solenoid so it looks like the starter is the problem. Thanks in advance

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Hello from vs700 starter land.

Post by Lechy »

Welcome aboard. You would be better off posting your question in the tech section, you will get the best help available. Meanwhile try shorting out the connections on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, watch out there will be sparks.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

miketron75
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 86 intruder

Post by miketron75 »

tried all that , that's why I am here...

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

To change the starter you will have to drain the water, then remove the chrome tube over the starter cover, remove the small manifold, a real bitch as it's tight in there, remove the cover, remove the cable, remove the 2 bolts and pry the motor back, reassemble in the reverse.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board [emoji106]

Throw your hat in the corner and stay a little longer
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"