Cheap License Plate Mod

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Cheap License Plate Mod

Post by Jolsen »

Cheap License Plate Mod

So you want to clean up your license plate area to look like this?

Stage 1 Modify the Tail Light.

Since you will be getting rid of the tumor that they call a license plate light we will need a way to light up the new plate location.
You can do this 1 of 2 ways.
1st way go to Ebay or similar store and buy light up license plate bolts and wire them in.
I didn't do this as I am a tight wad.

2nd way can be done in multiple ways.
Some have just drilled holes in the bottom of their lens and filled with clear silicone to allow white light from their tail light to light up the plate location. this works but not as well as the later.
I chose to cut a 3/4" by about 3" section out and then glue in a small section of clear plastic. Some have used plexi some have used the free tuff plastic that they package everything in these days you know the stuff that you have to go all Edward scissor hands to get into. This will end with a result that looks like this.

As you can see it is not visible from the back.

Next to modify the bracket its self.

1st I got a cheap thin piece of metal I cut it just slightly narrower then the license plate its self. Leaving about 6" out the top which I cut way shorter once I made my bends.

2nd I drilled holes In the sheet metal to mount the plate in. and mounted my plate with frame.

Next to cut the original bracket.
Just cut along the red line. Hacksaw, sawsall. dremal, whatever you got.

Then I made my bends to figure out where to drill the holes in the sheet metal. And Bracket

This is the end result hope this helps some.

VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.