VS700 fuel line routing

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder VS700

VS700 fuel line routing

Post by TripleKing »

I am putting my 86 VS 700 project back together. I cannot figure how to properly route the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor. If anyone has a photo of the routing I would be most grateful.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: VS700 fuel line routing

Post by navigator »

I do not have a photo, but I do have 1000 words.
From the petcock, it routes rearward over the chrome head cover on the left side then turns down to the inlet of the fuel pump located under the left side cover.
Another line from the pump outlet goes towards the center of the bike and turns upward to the rear inlet nipple on the rear carb.
Another line goes from the front outlet nipple on the rear carb, along the spine of the bike, underneath the cross brace for the rear tank mount, then lays over the rear valve cover and up to the rear inlet nipple on the front carb.
A flat spring type hose clamp at each connection.
Hope that helps.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have a digital copy of the shop manual (86-08). On page 12-22 there is instructions, with pic, of the 87 hose routing.

If you need a copy of the manual send me a pm with your email and I will send it to you.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling

Post by TripleKing »

I figured it goes down the left side somewhere behind the side cover. The problem is that the only way I can get to go down is outside the frame rail. In other words across the top of the the cylinder head then outside the frame rail and down to the fuel pump. Because of all the hoses in lines I cannot get it between the carburetor and the frame.

Edit: I have it down inside the frame rail, but the curve is so tight at the fuel pump that it pinches the line closed.

I have worked on motorcycles for many years. This one was designed by shoemakers.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Worst one I remember was the FJ1100 - the hose actually did a 270 degree turn straight after the fuel tap then split into 2 before going to the carbs.

TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling

Post by TripleKing »

I have the rubber sleeve on the fuel line near the pump, still the line is pinched.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

TripleKing wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:42 am
I have the rubber sleeve on the fuel line near the pump, still the line is pinched.
Are you sure you have the hose on the correct side of the pump?

TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling

Post by TripleKing »

Yes. Must be due to how I have the hose routed. I have the hose routed across the top of the cylinder head under the cross member that supports the back of the tank it then runs next to the air intake tube and the carburetor and then drops down inside the frame towards the fuel pump. That's the only way I could see the route it unless I went outside the frame rails

TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling

Post by TripleKing »

Open to ideas

TripleKing
Practicing Bicycling

Post by TripleKing »

My posts are duping. Dk why.