Blown main fuse

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
MC67
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1999 Suzuki intruder vs800gl

Blown main fuse

Post by MC67 »

I am having trouble with my main fuse every time I put a new fuse in it blows out immediately as soon as I put it in .I’ve gone through the whole wire harness & I could not find a short anywhere. I’ve even replace the whole wire harness with a new one and the fuse still keeps blowing out. If I unplug the voltage regulator the fuse will not blow out but once I plug it back in the fuse Will blow out. Can anyone help me with this please

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Blown main fuse

Post by navigator »

Sounds like you may have a bad voltage regulator, check the wires going to it, or replace it.

MC67
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1999 Suzuki intruder vs800gl

Post by MC67 »

I have already replaced the voltage regulator with a new one. I’ve also replaced the ignition as well as the whole main wiring harness.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

MC67 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:25 pm
I have already replaced the voltage regulator with a new one. I’ve also replaced the ignition as well as the whole main wiring harness.
Is the RR wired in correctly? Sounds like the +ve lead might be grounding?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The main fuse goes to the ignition switch, the decomp controller and the voltage regulator. It then goes out of the switch to the box to power the rest of the systems it also has a tie point to the voltage regulator. Did you check the fuse box for a short when you replaced the wiring harness?

I gather that it blows the fuse as soon as you turn on the ignition. If so it has to be an issue with the ignition switch, the orange wire that goes to the fuse box, the orange black wire that goes to the regulator or the fuse box itself.

It does boggle my mind that disconnecting the regulator keeps it from blowing especially since the wiring harness and regulator has been replaced.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Herb wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:48 pm

It does boggle my mind that disconnecting the regulator keeps it from blowing especially since the wiring harness and regulator has been replaced.
Unless he has gone with an OEM RR there's a real possibility the wiring pins in the connector block are in the incorrect location. There's a stack of Chinese RR's all over the place (not just eBay) that are generic in their application and whilst they say they'll fit your bike it's not always straight plug and play.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

And he doesn't have a decomp controller.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Instead if going through a bunch of fuses
Connect a light to the fuse holder in place of a fuse
When you locate the problem the light will go out or at least get dimmer
Or try and find an old seat belt buzzer then you wont have to stare at the light while working

And it replaces having to ask some one to watch a tail light while working under the dash

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

MC67 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:56 pm
I am having trouble with my main fuse every time I put a new fuse in it blows out immediately as soon as I put it in .I’ve gone through the whole wire harness & I could not find a short anywhere. I’ve even replace the whole wire harness with a new one and the fuse still keeps blowing out. If I unplug the voltage regulator the fuse will not blow out but once I plug it back in the fuse Will blow out. Can anyone help me with this please
Does your fuse blow with the ignition Off?? or On