Rolls with clutch lever released

This board is for all the, '"Typical stuff" you should know.
navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Rolls with clutch lever released

Post by navigator »

Check the splines on the aft end of the driveshaft where it enters the final drive.
Improper lubrication will cause the splines to spin freely and make a clicking sound.

Amourmechant
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 94 intruder vs 1400

Post by Amourmechant »

Heck yes, Hillsy. You do understand and that is the most logical way to troubleshoot the issue.

I do know that I need to bleed the clutch. The slave is not pushing the rod. Or at least squeezing clutch lever does not push the clutch pressure plate out.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Let us know what you find out. Good luck with it :cheers:

Amourmechant
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Amourmechant »

Thank you guys for helping out.

Thus far. Yes, I have now properly bled the clutch. I left the clutch cover off to visually check if the slave cylinder is pushing the push rod, which should in turn push the pressure plate out. I can see the whole clutch basket wanting to push out with the clutch hub.

My first guess is that it's the grooves on the clutch basket that the discs have created over time. I didn't think they were deep enough that the disc would grab, but I can't think of any other reason the basket would push out with the hub.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

If the entire basket is pushing out then the hub nut must have come loose or the locating ring on the shaft has come off. Either way that's not good but hopefully it's the nut and it just needs to be tightened. Take the pressure plate off and you should see the nut. You should also carefully inspect the gears on the hub and the crank for any damage.

Amourmechant
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Amourmechant »

With the slave cylinder removed and the clutch hub/pressure plate removed, I could push the two push rods back and forth with ease.

Reassembled, when I squeeze the clutch lever, the pressure plate does not move, I can physically see the whole basket and hub wanting to move/be affected by the pressure of the clutch lever. It's not loose and doesn't actually come out.

Hence I'm questioning if the grooves on the side of the tongues caused by the discs over time would have enough resistance that when the clutch is pulled in the clutch pack pushes on the grooves, causing the basket to move.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

It's unlikely the basket is worn enough for the plates to hang up like you are experiencing. You have replaced the clutch plates initially and I would say you have either put them in incorrectly or they are a different thickness / number of plates.

Amourmechant
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Amourmechant »

Update...

I loosened the 8 bolts that hold the clutch disc pressure plate/hub in place. I loosened them a couple rotations but did not remove them. Now the pressure plate pushes out with the clutch lever. (which it was not doing before loosening the 8 bolts) On the install, I tightened them to around 90-inch pounds. If I remember correctly. I'm going to research the torque specs again.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Amourmechant wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:01 am
Update...

I loosened the 8 bolts that hold the clutch disc pressure plate/hub in place. I loosened them a couple rotations but did not remove them. Now the pressure plate pushes out with the clutch lever. (which it was not doing before loosening the 8 bolts) On the install, I tightened them to around 90-inch pounds. If I remember correctly. I'm going to research the torque specs again.
This tells me that you MAY have the wave washer installed in the wrong direction...flip it over, and try again.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Amourmechant wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:01 am
Update...

Also check to see if any of the discs are warped. lay them on a piece of glass to check.

Amourmechant
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Amourmechant »

As embarassing as it is, this is a forum for acquiring and sharing knowledge. I forgot to put the spacers in the new set of springs. I have my reasons. So, no spacer... bolt bottomed on the clutch hub at about 8footpounds. Hoping that didn't cause other problems. I'll keep you posted after the battery charges.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Amourmechant wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:03 pm
As embarassing as it is, this is a forum for acquiring and sharing knowledge. I forgot to put the spacers in the new set of springs. I have my reasons. So, no spacer... bolt bottomed on the clutch hub at about 8footpounds. Hoping that didn't cause other problems. I'll keep you posted after the battery charges.
All good - we all have done something like this before. Main takeout with anything like this is it's more than likely something you've changed that has caused the problem. In other words - always revisit what you've changed first up to see if that was the issue. Sometimes you might need to put the old parts back in to verify.

Let us know how you go :ShitGrinandThumb:

Amourmechant
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Amourmechant »

Back to the original problem. Now that the clutch is working properly.

Motor on. Neutral. Idles fine.

In first gear with clutch lever pulled in, idles fine/no noise.

In first gear with clutch lever released, slowly moves the rear tire.

In first gear with clutch lever released and rear brake in, grumble grumble.

It must be secondary drive or transmission. Something like worn gear teeth.

I originally thought something like the fork shifter, but it does shift back and forth between first and neutral.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

navigator wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:04 am
Check the splines on the aft end of the driveshaft where it enters the final drive.
Improper lubrication will cause the splines to spin freely and make a clicking sound.
Look here.
You may have worn splines.
Use 80% Molybdenum grease when assembling new parts.

Amourmechant
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Amourmechant »

navigator wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:02 pm
navigator wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:04 am
Look here.
You may have worn splines.
Use 80% Molybdenum grease when assembling new parts.
The noise is coming from the motor, not the rear tire. Sound from the spline as it enters final drive would be noticeable. I took off the cover to see the secondary drive and the gear teeth are in perfect shape. I'll look at the final drive tonight. But i think it's internal like the transmission.