Front wheel not centred between the forks

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
Fred
Bike out of hock
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Re: Front wheel not centred between the forks

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Yes it is but if he asks if he should remove the fender he is not understanding what or why he is doing this.

Chad Malette
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 Intruder 1400

Postby Chad Malette » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:29 am

I loosened the clamps and spun the inner tubes one side at a time and didn't see any movement at all. I did notice however that the head of the axel bolt is slightly damaged and may not be able to draw for enough into the fork tip. I will try to smooth out the slight flare and see what happens.

Chad Malette
Tricycles are Cool

Postby Chad Malette » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:36 am

Chad Malette wrote:I loosened the clamps and spun the inner tubes one side at a time and didn't see any movement at all. I did notice however that the head of the axel bolt is slightly damaged and may not be able to draw for enough into the fork tip. I will try to smooth out the slight flare and see what happens.

So after filing down the end of the axle the bolt slide through properly and the wheel is now centered. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Fred
Bike out of hock

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 pm

Crikey , the machined section of the axle shoulder was damaged and would not slide into the fork tube pinch section. He continued to wind in the axle until the fork tube was pushed so far towards the wheel that it bent the fork over and touched the tyre.

The fork tube would have been held up to the speedo gear, the wheel would not have moved even if it had not been jammed on the tyre. :eek:

:blink:

Chad Malette
Tricycles are Cool

Postby Chad Malette » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:59 am

Fred wrote:Crikey , the machined section of the axle shoulder was damaged and would not slide into the fork tube pinch section. He continued to wind in the axle until the fork tube was pushed so far towards the wheel that it bent the fork over and touched the tyre.

The fork tube would have been held up to the speedo gear, the wheel would not have moved even if it had not been jammed on the tyre. :eek:

:blink:

The axel bolt was all the way into the pinch section, it was stuck just where it is flush with the edge. It needed to be ressesed about a 1/4" into the pinch section.

navigator
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Postby navigator » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:12 am

Pay little or no attention to Phred, This will become apparent to you as time goes on.

Fred
Bike out of hock

Postby Fred » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:39 am

navigator wrote:Pay little or no attention to Phred, This will become apparent to you as time goes on.

Aww dont be like that Nav I will let you diagnose next time, if you can.

Return to “How-to's for all motorcycles”