No start/fuel issues

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
Wikiddude
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1995 VS1400 GLPH

No start/fuel issues

Post by Wikiddude »

Good Afternoon,

I have combed through the forum with the intention of not creating a new thread, however I was obviously unsuccessful.

I have a 1995 VS1400 that starts beautifully most of the time until recently when I put it in storage. Prior to my time away I ran the bike on ethanol free fuel and then drained it via the forward and after bowl drains on the carbs. The issue is now that I cannot start the bike and I think its a fuel issue for the following reasons.

Signs:
1. I can drain the rear bowl after my attempts (tells me fuel is getting to the rear carb)
2. I can smell fuel in the rear cylinder's exhaust.
3. Using a little starter fluid I can kick the bike over a few times. (ignition must be fine)
4. I don't get anything from the drain in the front carb. (fuel isn't making its way up to the forward carb)
5. inter carb fuel line is clear.
6. pump sounds good (as in it clicks when I try to prime)

I took the front carb off and opened up the bowl, both jets are clear of any debris and the float was moving correctly.. (I mean it as moving freely at least)

I took the fuel line off and made sure she was free of any obstruction, I tested the pump with the line off and got a bit of gas out of the rear carb's fuel line (the fuel outlet from the rear carb.) From what I can tell there is no reason why gas isn't making it from the rear carb to the front carb unless the pressure isn't high enough to properly fuel the front carb. New fuel pump? There are not any kinks in the fuel line.

I need help with what might be a good next step. Could the pump be a little gummed up and not running at 100%? Why wont the bike at least try and start if I am getting fuel to the rear carb? This is fresh ethanol free fuel. Is there another part of the carb that may be prone to building up obstructions other then the float bowl and jets? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: No start/fuel issues

Post by hillsy »

Maybe try and set up an auxiliary (IE: gravity feed) fuel source to bypass the pump and see if it fires up. That way you will know if it's pump / fuel hose related.

Wikiddude
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Wikiddude »

I like that one.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Wikiddude wrote:I like that one.
Hillsy has some good tips
When he's not whoring his new Yamaha LOL

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

FallenAngel wrote:
Haha - you got me there....

:clap:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

hillsy wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:
Haha - you got me there....

:clap:
The true scooter Tramper here is "FranktheGod"
Most of his pictures have his Harley in them centerd in the shot
Reminds me of that movie with Branden Frasher? that was always showing of pictures of his stereo speakers
Honestly??
Im always happy to see pictures of others adventures with their bikes in here

Keep um Comin

Post Script
Crap
I just noticed Franks here
Please dont tell him I said that

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

Wikiddude wrote:
I took the front carb off and opened up the bowl, both jets are clear of any debris and the float was moving correctly.. (I mean it as moving freely at least)
When you were checking out the float did you take the little screen out where the needle valve goes to make sure that's not clogged up with anything?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Make sure the fuel is actually getting to the front carb, then check the float valve and the screen underneath it. The needle itself can stick and keep the fuel from coming in.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Wikiddude
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Wikiddude »

rocksandhammers wrote:
When you were checking out the float did you take the little screen out where the needle valve goes to make sure that's not clogged up with anything?

I did not see any float "screen." I only really worked the float and made sure the spring was working. Next time I pull the bowl I will look there for that screen. I pulled the jets and made sure they were clear. She looks a little dirty so I am wondering if bad fuel was an part of the issue.

Currently I have put a different fuel pump on and for one reason or another the bike started to run. I didn't run it for too long as I have cobra slip ons installed and I don't want to annoy everyone. I was getting fuel to the front and was about to ride when she died again. There was residual fuel in the front but then I pulled the fuel line off and tested the pump I didn't feel or see any fuel squirting out the rear carb's fuel line to the front carb.

I pulled the tank off (again) and I think I have traced this new fuel issue to the main fuel cock in the tank. Even when the main fuel cock is open I am not getting any flow from the tank to the pet cock and consequently not to the pump. Even with all lines removed from the fuel tank she wont drain when I crap the valve open. I'm not sure if these are all connected or if I was able to dislodge any of the debris in the carbs and now this new issue has arisen.

Long story short I spilled gas all over my garage...again and have taken a break for 24 hours so as not to go insane.

I am going to pull the main fuel cock out and see if there is a flow issue there, I have a spare from an old tank that I know works if need be.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Just for basic information, the main fuel cock is of when all the way either direction. Centered is on. You do realize that, correct?

We have had issues where people didn't know this.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Wikiddude
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Wikiddude »

Herb wrote:Just for basic information, the main fuel cock is of when all the way either direction. Centered is on. You do realize that, correct?

I did know that, I am not sure what is really going on but the bike runs now albeit not perfectly smooth. The fuel cock I had in there is not the stock one so I went back and pulled the stock off the old fuel tank and put it in the new one. It also helped that I put the fuel suction and discharge lines on the fuel pump correctly this time. I'm just happy shes running now! Bought the forward controls and I'll have those on next!

Thanks for the help!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Wikiddude wrote:
Herb wrote:Just for basic information, the main fuel cock is of when all the way either direction. Centered is on. You do realize that, correct?

I did know that, I am not sure what is really going on but the bike runs now albeit not perfectly smooth. The fuel cock I had in there is not the stock one so I went back and pulled the stock off the old fuel tank and put it in the new one. It also helped that I put the fuel suction and discharge lines on the fuel pump correctly this time. I'm just happy shes running now! Bought the forward controls and I'll have those on next!

Thanks for the help!
Thanks for letting us know what you found.