How to re-key a lock (tank / seat / ignition / helmet lock)

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

How to re-key a lock (tank / seat / ignition / helmet lock)

Post by hillsy »

Another tutorial thread I did a while back....

Old bikes sometimes bring old problems with them. A lot of the time, you will find a previous owner has had to change a lock here or there and just used the new key along with the original. Sometimes you can end up with 3 or 4 keys to operate the bike. I’m going to show you the basics on how to re-key a lock to the key of your choice

Apologies in advance for the sometimes fuzzy pics – my digital camera is fubar’d and I’ve been forced to take photos with a 1st gen iPad potato.

OK – so the Z1300 I inherited from my brother had 3 different keys to work the ignition, tank, seat and helmet locks:

If you look closely you’ll see the 2 keys on the left have the same code, but are quite different in shape from 34 years of use. The key on the far right (on the key fob) was relatively new as he’d replaced the ignition switch a few years back….so, this is the key I’m keeping / using.

At this stage I’ll point out that I’ve actually DONE the keying already, but I’m going to disassemble the fuel cap and a helmet lock to show you what I did:

Starting with the helmet lock – this one is pretty easy as the slide lock mechanism is held in by a plastic cover that is simply screwed in place:

This one has a gear that will just slide off the barrel:

Now look into the back of the lock – you will see there is a pin / wafer that you slide up to release the barrel:

I’m back with my trusty mini screwdriver:

And out comes the barrel:

So these locks are called “wafer” locks because the pins are small and flat….like wafers! If you look close, you will see the difference between them is the depth of the pin at the bottom of the wafer (where the pick is pointing). There are 3 different pins here::

Anyway, before we go pulling all the pins out, let’s put the new key in the lock and see if we got lucky with some of the pins:

And if you squint real good, you’ll see that there are 2 pins that are “wrong”, so out comes the notepad to draw the diagram….

You’ll probably also notice that this lock has 6 pin slots but only 4 wafers. Some of the less important locks are like this standard. Some bikes have “accessory” keys which don’t work on the ignition, and this is how they do that (by just having a key that is cut for 4 wafers instead of 6 or 7). In this case, I honestly can’t remember if it had more or I just took some out. Anyway, here’s the offending wafers removed:

Probably also a good time to tell you I have a few extra wafers from doing this a time or two:

OK – so with a bit of mixing and matching of wafers we end up with a set that works for this key. If you can’t mix and match, you can either leave a few out or grind down the wafers to suit (it’s a helmet lock after all, so for me it will hardly be used).

Re-assemble….

That one is done:

OK - so here's the tank lock instalment.

There was a bit of in issue with the z13 tank lock, so I'll do that later.

For now, here's a Suzuki one that I don't have a key for:

It has 2 screws that hold the latch mechanism:Image

Underneath, there is an O ring that keeps the fuel away from the barrel:Image

So we take that out to get to the same sort of wafer that locks the barrel in:ImageImage

And out it comes:Image

So here is the barrel - it looks like someone (probably me) has had a go at altering the keying by grinding down the wafers:Image

Anyway, with a bit of juggling the wafers around (and a few new ones)....Image

I keyed it the same as the z13 key for shits and giggles:Image

The reason I could key it the same as the z13 key was because the Suzuki GS's and KZ's of that era used the same key type. Not sure what Honda used, but Yamaha was different than this type.

So, on to the z13 lock:Image

Again, 2 screws holding the latch mechanism on:Image

However, this one has a big spring underneath it:Image

This type has 2 springs that centre the barrel so we take them out carefully so they don't shoot across the room:ImageImage

And then the actuator comes out:Image

Same deal here with the last wafer holding the barrel in....so it gets pushed down and the barrel slides out the front:Image
ImageImage

Now, you know how I said there was a "bit of an issue" with this lock? Well, it's not really a very good lock....Image

Because it has no keying wafers...Image

Yep - you can use ANY key to open the tank. Even a screwdriver.

So, that's kinda it. The hardest part in reality is getting to the back of the lock to release the locking wafer. After that it's just a matter of shuffling / removing / trimming the wafers to make them suit your key.

Some helmet locks are sealed at the back and are pretty much impossible to release without destroying them, but hey, if they made this stuff too easy there wouldn't be much point in having locks.

Also, if you have a friend with a Kawasaki of this vintage, you now know you can open his tank with your keys and steal his fuel (probably don't do that).

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: How to re-key a lock (tank / seat / ignition / helmet lock)

Post by navigator »

:ShitGrinandThumb:

Acton67
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by Acton67 »

How would I go about re-keying the lock for the forks? My bike didn't come with the key for that. Can that lock come off? This is on a 93 VS800.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I have never figured out how to remove that lock.
IMO that lock is near useless. It can be defeated with a forceful snap of the handlebars.

For security, I usually just park next to an expensive Harley. :ShitGrin: :cheers:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Yeah I've never removed one of those steering head locks either - the only bike I've ever owned that had one was the LC and I never used the lock anyway.

I'd imagine there would be a wafer inside the neck that you can depress and draw the lock out but can't confirm that.

Agree on them being useless though :ShitGrinandThumb:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Best thing, get a disc lock and a long orange springy cord. make sure the springy cord is in the way of getting on the bike...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.