How To: Clean Intruder Switches (Various Models)

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: How To: Clean Intruder Switches (Various Models)

Post by old time rider »

That was a really good post even more so for ones that like me in past years have bought a motorcycle that has sat out side or uncovered in less than good places. [emoji106]

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Post by NE_FL »

Is this pertinent to all bikes or just Intruders? Is this good regular maintenance or just when having problematic symptoms? How often should this be done? Any other systems that need such intensive attention? This type of write-up is in minute detail with illustrations that leaves no question as to how to do it. Very helpful. :clap:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Considering most bikes are built relatively equally, it should pertain to most all bikes of the day and even still. Of course manufacturers parts vary, so the pics won't make complete sense in all instances, but the information provided should enable pretty much anyone to gain enough knowledge to successfully rebuild the switches. At least things to look for like springs and the like. Just take things apart CAREFULLY and take your own pics if you think you need too for reassembly. You'll be fine! [emoji106]

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

NE_FL wrote:Is this good regular maintenance or just when having problematic symptoms? How often should this be done?
If it ain't broke don't fix it.....

Only do this when experiencing problems. Anytime you do something along these lines you risk loosing or breaking something that will make you have to replace the unit.
Scott

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Never a truer statement was ever made. The manual pretty well sums up all the "regular" maintenance that is required. I suspect if the bike is parked in a protected area when not being ridden and is not on the coast this type of thing will not be an issue. I wonder if shooting a little WD40 into the switch housings would be a helpful thing to do if you are worried about moisture build up? :donno:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

I allways try to lube any moving metal parts that you can get to.If you have a clutch cable lube it.Kill switch at side stand,throttle cables,and I do spray some WD or something like it in side switch housing.I may have but do not think I ever hurt anything by lubing it.Do not lube or Armor all tires or seat at any time.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Armor-all sucks ass....let us not go there!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

WearySoldier
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Suzuki VS1400

Post by WearySoldier »

What happened to images?? would like to C as I have a horn that likes to blow all the time!!
Fight on Weary Solder the battle's almost done! :rock:

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

Spitfire wrote:Never a truer statement was ever made. The manual pretty well sums up all the "regular" maintenance that is required. I suspect if the bike is parked in a protected area when not being ridden and is not on the coast this type of thing will not be an issue. I wonder if shooting a little WD40 into the switch housings would be a helpful thing to do if you are worried about moisture build up? :donno:

do not use WD40...it can mess with some plastics...use a contact cleaner spray first ..then spray with silicone....if you have to clean the switch ,,

Spitfire
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by Spitfire »

Silicone spray, huh sounds reasonable to me. I'll have to try that on my wife's Goldwing trike.

Truckingeek
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Ones with two wheels

Post by Truckingeek »

WearySoldier wrote:What happened to images?? would like to C as I have a horn that likes to blow all the time!!
Imageshack no longer allows free user accounts. I have the PDF still with pic's and would post it for downloading but I can't upload it.