Starting issue

The information presented here applies to most all motorcycles in general.
trustme9000
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 vs1400

Starting issue

Post by trustme9000 »

I have a hickup with a friend's '02 vs1400.
So a little background, the bike has 6k miles. Buddy bought it without seeing run, was told all it needed was a fresh battery. He got a new battery, and it does light the bike up. All lights work as they should.
When i go to press the starter button, all i get is a buzz coming from the fuel pump (not solenoid clicking, a buzz). Confirmed by touching it and feeling it go. So i tried to jump the bike by touching a wrench to the solenoid. That didn't do it, although it did crank up. (might need new fuel too). Checked all fuses as well, they look fine.
Could my starting relay have gone bad? Or a brush in the starter motor be stuck? The bike looks untouched when i was working on it, but i do suspect the fuel pump mightve been messed with as it wasnt held on by a stok bolt but by a random silver phillips screw.
The battery only drops .50 in voltage when i press the starter, and it sits happy around 12.7 with all lights on prior to starting.
After i jumped the solenoid terminals, the fuel pump buzzing became weaker. Can i at this point assume its dying, tell me what are some spots i should probe.
I'm looking through the manual as well, trying to make sense out of it.
Apreciate yall.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Starting issue

Post by WintrSol »

If the safety switch on the clutch isn't closing when you pull the lever, it will behave like that; because of that, you can prime the carbs first, then pull the clutch in and crank it. You can unplug the wires from the switch on the clutch lever, and jumper them; it is not uncommon for the little plastic bit on the switch that sticks up into a matching hole in the lever to break, so the switch can't work.

You say when you jumpered the starter relay, it cranked, but didn't start; that says the starter motor is OK. Was the run/stop switch in the run position and the neutral light on?
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

trustme9000
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 vs1400

Post by trustme9000 »

Hey thanks for replying.
I don't know about the clutch or kickstand switches being the issue. But ill look at them to rule it out.
Yeah when i jumped it i made sure to have everything ready. I did it twice even, with the choke on and off even if that mattered (my 800 was sensitive about its choke).

Update:
I'm a sperg. The clutch circuit had been jumped poorly. i fixed it. Bike moves again. I can move on to tuning.
Thanks!

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

[emoji106]

It happens to us all - certain we checked that before. :bonk:
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie