Computer Upgrades

Keep it civil
Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: Computer Upgrades

Post by Jolsen »

I can go into a wall of text post but trying to keep it short and to the point.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

e-machines were junk to start off with. They were cheap because they put all the crappiest hardware in them they could find.
If you go to buy a new desktop or even used, I'd recommend an HP. We have been using them in the system we integrate and they seem to work well.
I have one as my workstation and its been real good. I also have another one that is one of my personal computers at work also. It runs 24/7 without issues. I've had that one for about 8 to ten years and it's never given me any problems with exception of the HD. HDs do die eventually.
HPs have done well by me.

Stay away from DELL computers they are problematic or can be. The MBs and cases are custom made which means you can't just replace the MB if it dies unless you replace it with the exact one for that system. They are not horrible computers, but they seem to only last a few years and they seem to start getting twitchy.

The rest of my computers are all hand picked hardware and I build them myself using only the finest components. These are expensive and are capable of more computer power than I could ever use but I use them for number crunching on the BOINC projects and doing that work requires a lot of horsepower to get the work done. You could call these computers super gaming computers, but I've never seen a game yet that could actually test my home built computers to their fullest extent. The BOINC projects do however make good use of the hardware.

Now, where's my penny for my thoughts?

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Well, I can see where people think E Machines are junk, but all computers use the same components. There is I think 3 warehouses where all computer components are stored and when needed sent out. My brother was a computer wiz and he worked at the Pentagon for the Army. He built all his own computers with stuff he bought off the internet. Now I say they use the same stuff even if it is proprietary, like HP, Dell and a few other companies I can't remember. You can't take stuff out of their machines and use it in a different manufacturers.
I really wish I could afford a Mac, but those days of me buying a Mac are long gone. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I really don't want to start another thread but I do need to know something about computers so I will ask it here. Is there a way to make USB ports tighter? My modem uses a USB cord but it and all my usb cables are loose. Can I fix it somehow? :uhh:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

There's no adjustments for that. I've found they typically connect with enough friction to keep them plugged in. Some are a little tighter than others, which I do like. I suppose you could try a wedge from a matchbook cover or business card or something to provide a little extra thickness to the outside of the connector as you plug it in there. It may help, never had a need to try it though.

Yo-

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

YoDude9999 wrote:There's no adjustments for that. I've found they typically connect with enough friction to keep them plugged in. Some are a little tighter than others, which I do like. I suppose you could try a wedge from a matchbook cover or business card or something to provide a little extra thickness to the outside of the connector as you plug it in there. It may help, never had a need to try it though.

Yo-
Usb is held in by the pins inside the cable. If the cable plugs into your modem, get a new cable.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

You're just trying to get me to ride to upstate NY in the fall weather. This old okie ain't coming up there until it gets warmer. :lol: Now if you still have it and it is still free when summer time gets here I'll be on my way. :thumbup:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

If things work out like I want I will be in NY next year anyway. It should be no problem to detour to upstate to see you. I have family in NYC (City Island) I want to visit. I spent the summer of '71 with them and then moved back to Okla. Big mistake on my part cause I had a job with a sail maker that now has 8 lofts world wide and one is in Barcelona, Sp. I could be in Spain right now. :bang:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

You'd learn some Spanish too! :big grin:

Yo-

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

oops, way off topic... Sorry :bang:
YoDude9999 wrote:You'd learn some Spanish too! :big grin:

Yo-
I'm sure I would. When I was on City Island we made the sails for the America's cup race boat. The boat was also built on the island just a couple of blacks away. I did get to visit the rich and famous to pick up their sails or deliver them. Some of those people have way too much money for their own good and pretty young daughters and grand daughters. :lol: