Memorial Remembrance

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Memorial Remembrance

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Remembering Captain John "Wild Bill" Crump (Spokane County, Washington), and "Jeep", the only coyote who flew in combat during WWII. After graduating from high school, Bill joined the USAAF and prepared to fight for his country. One day, during his pilot training, he found a little coyote, which he named "Jeep", and the pair became inseparable. In a world ravaged by war, Bill couldn't wait to go overseas and confront the forces of tyranny...but not without his four-legged friend, so he smuggled Jeep aboard the RMS Queen Elizabeth and they both went to England.
The coyote became a formal member of the 356th Fighter Group, had his own dog tags, and accompanied Bill on five combat missions. Sadly, on October 28, 1944, Jeep was run over by a military vehicle at Playford Hall, Ipswich, and died of his injuries. He was buried with full military honours at Playford Hall, where a plaque marks his resting place.
To honour the memory of his faithful friend, Bill decorated his P-51 Mustang (named Jackie) with a portrait of Jeep. He then flew 77 missions, risked his life to liberate Europe, and managed to survive the rest of the war. In 1992, Bill returned to Playford Hall and spent a moment at Jeep's gravesite.
This true American hero passed away in 2008. ✝
Fallen, yet not forgotten! 🇺🇸🙏🇺🇸
https://fallenyetnotforgotten.com
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Re: Memorial Remembrance

Post by RoadKing »

Righteous.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Thanks Suzuki Johnny!

I would never have known this..

These are GREAT stories to hear.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Yesterday I took part in the ceremony for a Marine that recently died of cancer but had been medically retired out of the service because he lost a leg in Afghanistan. He had a bunch of awards from combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Great Marine, I am really proud to have been a part of the ceremony to honor his service.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

On a dark night in late May of 1944, British Army commando George Henry Lane (left), landed on the coast of occupied France to scout German defenses prior to D-Day (edit for clarity - this happened in May, before Rommel left for his wife's birthday).
That night, he was captured.
Although he faced execution as an accused saboteur, Lane instead was taken before Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel (right), who commanded the German defenses along the Atlantic Wall.
When Lane entered the office, the Field Marshal rose to his feet, and asked Lane to join him for tea.
So Lane sat down and had tea with Erwin Rommel...
...as one does.
Lane (who actually was born György Lányi in Hungary to Jewish parents) pretended to speak no German, and he claimed to be Welsh to mask his Hungarian accent.
Lane later recounted that their conversation began like this:
Rommel opened by saying, "So, are you one of those gangster commandos?"
Lane responded, "I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m a soldier, and commandos are the best soldiers."
Rommel then said to him, "You must realise that you are in a very tricky situation. Everyone seems to think that you are a saboteur."
Lane replied, "Well, if the Field Marshal believed that I was a saboteur he would not have done me the honour of inviting me here."
Rommel asked, "So you think this is an invitation?"
Lane answered, "I do, sir, and I must say I am highly honoured."
Rommel then brought up his belief that Britain and Germany should be allied together in the fight against the Soviet Union. Lane commented that he did not believe their two countries could be allies at the moment, especially because of the way Germany was treating the Jews.
Rommel quickly cut him off and said, "Now you are talking politics. We are soldiers, we don’t concern ourselves with politics."
The two then had a pleasant conversation, with the Field Marshal politely probing for intelligence, and the Commando deftly parrying with feigned ignorance.
At the end of their tea, the two amicably parted company, and Lane was not executed, but instead was taken to a POW prison near Spangenberg, Germany.
A couple months afterward, Rommel was severely wounded when his car was strafed by Allied aircraft. Implicated in a plot to kill Hitler, he was forced to take his own life later that year to protect his family.
As the Allied drive across Europe approached Spangenberg, Lane escaped custody during a prisoner transport and hid in a hospital until U.S. troops overran the area, then he made his way to Paris.
Lane was awarded the Military Cross for his missions behind the lines, and eventually left the British Army as a colonel.
After the war, Lane lived in the United States and England, and died in 2010 at the age of 95.
For the rest of his days, Lane always believed that his life had been spared only through the personal intervention of Erwin Rommel.
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Did you know Walter Matthau from Dennis the Menace was a WW2 airman? He was a radioman and gunner in the nose of a B-24 Liberator and was in the 453rd Bomb Group along with James Stewart.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Unlike today, the movie celebrates were really hero's.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

This photo, taken on February 14, 1945, near Aboncourt, France, shows Sergeant Elvin Harley (Kalamazoo, Michigan) being kissed by a little French girl. After the liberation of France from Nazi rule, this proud member of the 3rd Armored Division survived the rest of the war and returned to Michigan.
Thank you for your faithful service Sgt. Elvin Harley. 🇺🇸 We will never forget. 🙏❤️🌹
https://fallenyetnotforgotten.com

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

[YoutubeID][/YoutubeID]

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

2 October 1952: The Boeing XB-52 Stratofortress prototype, 49-230, made its first flight at Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington, with test pilot Alvin M. “Tex” Johnston in command. Lieutenant Colonel Guy M. Townsend, U.S. Air Force, acted as co-pilot.
Boeing XB-52 Stratofortress 49-230 takes off for the first time, at Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington, 2 October 1952. (LIFE Magazine via Jet Pilot Overseas)

The first of two prototype long-range, high-altitude, heavy bombers, the XB-52 had been damaged during ground testing and extensive repairs were required, which delayed its initial flight. The second prototype, YB-52 49-231, made the type’s first flight nearly six months earlier, on 15 April 1952.

The prototype Stratofortress the largest jet aircraft built up to that time. It was 152.7 feet (46.543 meters) long with a wingspan of 185.0 feet, (56.388 meters) and 48.25 feet (14.707 meters) to the top of the vertical fin. The leading edges of the wings were swept back 36° 54′. The XB-52 had an empty weight of 155,200 pounds (70,398 kilograms) and its maximum takeoff weight was 390,000 pounds (176,901 kilograms). Fuel capacity was 27,417 gallons (103,785 liters).
The XB-52 was powered by eight Pratt & Whitney YJ57-P-3 turbojet engines, with a normal power rating of 8,700 pounds static thrust at Sea Level (38.700 kilonewtons). The prototype bomber had a cruising speed of 519 miles per hour (835 kilometers per hour), and a maximum speed of 611 miles per hour (983 kilometers per hour) at 20,000 feet (6,048 meters). The planned bombing altitude was 46,500 feet (14,173 meters) and it had a service ceiling of 52,300 feet (15,941 meters). The XB-52 had an initial rate of climb of 4,550 feet per minute (23.11 meters per second) at Sea Level. Its maximum unrefueled range was 7,015 miles (11,290 kilometers).
Pilot’s cockpit, Boeing XB-52. (Boeing)

In its original configuration, the XB-52 was armed with two .50-caliber machine guns in a turret in the tail, with 600 rounds of ammunition per gun, though these guns were not installed on 49-230. The XB-52 was designed to carry a single 25,200 pound (11,431 kilogram) T-28E2 Samson bomb, or other conventional or nuclear weapons.
XB-52 49-230 was used in flight testing for its entire service life. The airplane was scrapped in the mid-1960s.
744 B-52 bombers were built by Boeing at Seattle, Washington and Wichita, Kansas, with the final one, B-52H-175-BW 61-0040, rolled out 22 June 1962.
Boeing XB-52 Stratofortress 49-230. (U.S. Air Force)

75 B-52H Stratofortresses are still in service with the United States Air Force.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

On this day lost, but not forgotten. Ronald Leslie Bond was born in Camden, NJ, on December 14, 1947, to Mr. and Mrs. Errol Q. Bond, Sr. His home of record is Haddonfield, NJ, where he grew up. Ronald had one brother, Errol. At the age of 12, Ron was on the Haddonfield Little League Team that went to the state finals. In the same year, he was Middle Atlantic AAU, 12 and under diving champion and a Tri-County swimming and diving champion. In his high school years at Haddonfield Memorial High School, he was wrestling champion in his weight class. When Ron graduated from high school in 1965, he was accepted into the University of Delaware, but was also granted an appointment to the US Air Force Academy, which he accepted.
His first assignment after graduating from the Academy in 1969, was Navigator School, then training to be the "guy in back" in the F-4 Fighter Bomber, then an unexpected (and unwanted) assignment to South Korea. Ron did everything he could think of to get a Vietnam assignment, and the orders to go to Vietnam came while he was home just prior to leaving for Korea. His unit was the 390th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam. With his heavy clothes on their way to Korea and his lighter clothes shipped home to Haddonfield, NJ, he left for Da Nang, South Vietnam, arriving there February 6, 1971.
Ron was home again in July 1971. He was on R & R, but had come home to be fitted with contact lenses so he could become a pilot. When Ron came stateside in July, one of his concerns was what his father might want for Christmas.
Shortly after his return to Da Nang, Ron began flying Forward Air Controller reconnaissance missions. He was attached to the 390th Tactical Fighter Squadron and had attained the rank of Captain (CAPT).
On September 30, 1971, he flew on an operational mission as the "guy in back" for Captain Michael L. Donovan's F-4E. The pair were on their last leg of their mission. They had met up twice with the KC-135 (for fuel). The aircraft failed to return to Da Nang, and after an extensive search the two men were declared, "missing in action" at the time of estimated fuel exhaustion. Ron was on his 150th mission in 222 days. They were short of navigators and he took every opportunity to fly even with squadrons other than his own.
Captain Bond's status remained "missing in action" until February 6, 1979, when his status was administratively changed to "killed in action". Since his remains have yet to be recovered and returned, he is listed by the Department of Defense as unaccounted for in Southeast Asia.
Bond was awarded the Air Medal with eight oak leaf clusters (which means it was awarded nine times). He was also awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two oak leaf clusters (that means it was awarded three times).
Sources: POW Network and NJVVMF

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

DOES THAT B-52 HAVE A STICK SHIFT ....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

HARRIS wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:18 am
DOES THAT B-52 HAVE A STICK SHIFT ....

If I am not mistaken that information is still "Classified"... :cheers: :lmao:

Many a Sunday afternoon was spent on a street lined with other vehicles at our local Air Force base
with my whole family to watch these birds take off and land. They would use 1/2 of the runway to finally lift off the ground.
It's now Chenault International Air Port...
With it's mighty 2-mile-long runway it's capable of handling every aircraft flying in the world today. The dimensions make it a favorite for charter flights, general aviation of all kinds, military touch-and-go practice …and, on multiple occasions, Air Force One.
And it's also a second choice for the Space Shuttle to land if needed.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

"Memorial Remembrance" is redundant. :Umm:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Arch enemies meet again at a German Cemetery seventy-seven years later. Jurgen Tegethoff, 97, (left) was a Tiger Tank Commander during WWII for the German Army. Ed Cottrell, 99, (right) was a P-47 pilot whose number one priority during the war was to fly out, locate tanks, and destroy them. He did it over sixty times. Jurgen, being a tanker, was forced to only move his tank at night. He often had to hide in the woods to prevent being strafed or bombed. “To think we could do those awful things to one another back then is horrible. I’m glad we could meet as friends and not shoot at one another finally.” Said Jurgen. www.TheWWIIrifle.com

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

On September 28th, 1944 : Theodore Roosevelt Jr., son of President Theodore Roosevelt, is posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his leadership during the D-Day landings. Knowing that he would be walking into what was likely certain death, and suffering from health issues, Ted Roosevelt Jr. petitioned to personally lead the invasion with the first wave of forces facing the enemy at Utah Beach. Repeatedly guiding troops from the beach, Theodore Roosevelt Jr.'s enthusiasm, courage, calmness, and focus never wavered while under constant heavy assault from enemy fire. His presence was reassuring and his direction helped secure Allied forces in France leading to the ultimate defeat of the Axis powers. Just over one month later, Theodore Roosevelt Jr. died from a heart attack and is buried at Normandy American Cemetery in France next to his brother, Lt. Quentin Roosevelt who was killed in WWI.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

1st Lt. Jeremiah O’Keefe shot down five Japanese kamikaze aircraft off Okinawa in his F4U Corsair and then brought down another two six days later, seen here on his Corsair on 28 April 1945

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

We post some incredible stories of valor on this page but this one of a Navy Seal refusing to leave a man behind has to be in the top three. Medal of Honor recepient Navy Seal Michael Thorton was born in Greenville, South Carolina and raised on the family farm near Spartanburg. Thornton joined the Navy upon graduating from high school in 1967 and completed the rigorous training to join the SEALs, the Navy’s elite sea-air-land special operations force. As overall American conventional forces were gradually withdrawn from Vietnam in the early 1970s, the “unconventional warfare” role of Navy SEALs grew. In the spring of 1972, Petty Officer Thornton was assigned to a mission under the command of Lt. Thomas Norris. Michael Thornton’s Medal of Honor citation reads:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while participating in a daring operation against enemy forces.
“PO Thornton, as Assistant U.S. Navy Advisor, along with a U.S. Navy lieutenant serving as Senior Advisor, accompanied a three-man Vietnamese Navy SEAL patrol on an intelligence gathering and prisoner capture operation against an enemy-occupied naval river base. Launched from a Vietnamese Navy junk in a rubber boat, the patrol reached land and was continuing on foot toward its objective when it suddenly came under heavy fire from a numerically superior force.
“The patrol called in naval gunfire support and then engaged the enemy in a fierce firefight, accounting for many enemy casualties before moving back to the waterline to prevent encirclement.
“Upon learning that the Senior Advisor had been hit by enemy fire and was believed to be dead, PO Thornton returned through a hail of fire to the lieutenant’s last position; quickly disposed of two enemy soldiers about to overrun the position, and succeeded in removing the seriously wounded and unconscious Senior Naval Advisor to the water’s edge. He then inflated the lieutenant’s lifejacket and towed him seaward for approximately two hours until picked up by support craft.
“By his extraordinary courage and perseverance, PO Thornton was directly responsible for saving the life of his superior officer and enabling the safe extraction of all patrol members, thereby upholding the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.”
Collier provides more detail of the engagement and rescue:
“During the five-hour firefight, Thornton was wounded in his back. Norris ordered Thornton and two of the South Vietnamese SEALs to fall back to a sand dune to the north and provide covering fire. Not long after, the Vietnamese SEAL who had stayed behind arrived at Thornton’s position and told him that Norris had been killed. Thornton charged back over 500 yards of open terrain to Norris. When he got there, he killed two enemy soldiers standing over the lieutenant’s body. He lifted Norris, barely alive and with a shattered skull, and began to run back toward the beach, enemy fire kicking up all around him.
“The blast from an incoming round fired by the USS Newport News blew both men into the air. Thornton picked up Norris again and raced for a sand dune and then retreated 300 yards to the water. As he plunged into the surf, Thornton lashed his life vest to the unconscious officer’s body. When another SEAL was hit in the hip and couldn’t swim, Thornton grabbed him and slowly and painfully swam both men out to sea. Despite his wounds, Thornton swam for more than two hours. All three wounded men were rescued by the same junk that had dropped them off 16 hours earlier.
The Giant Killer book & page honors these incredible war heroes making sure their stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten. God Bless our Vets!

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

101st Airborne Sgt. David Dolby Medal of Honor, the Silver Star, Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. Then SP4 David C. Dolby, B Company, 1-8th Cavalry earned the Medal of Honor in Vietnam on May 21, 1966 during 4 hours of intense combat by killing the enemy and carrying wounded to safety. In Brigadier General S.L.A. Marshall's book about Vietnam, "Battles in the Monsoon," an entire chapter is dedicated to Dolby's rescue efforts. Marshall said Dolby was "one of the rarest of warriors -- a man with keen imagination who at the same time, when under fire, seems to be wholly without fear." Dolby was deployed four more times to Vietnam. In 1967 he served there with the 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division, in 1969 with C Company (Ranger), 75th Infantry (Airborne), First Field Force Vietnam, in 1970 as an Adviser to the Vietnamese Rangers, and in 1971 as an Adviser to the Royal Cambodian Army. He was also awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart. President Lyndon B. Johnson presented SGT David C. Dolby the Medal of Honor on 28 September 1967 in the East Room of the White House. SSG David Dolby died on 6 August 2010 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Dave Dolby's father, Lieutenant Charles L. Dolby, was bombardier on B-17G Flying Fortress on crew of Lt. Lawrence W. Riegel (100th Bomb Group). On September 11, 1944, his bomber crashed close to the Czech village of Kovarska. Lieutenant Dolby was one of only three survivors of the crew who parachuted safely to the ground, where they were captured and interned as Prisoners of War.
The Giant Killer book & page honors these incredible war heroes making sure their stories of valor and sacrifice are never forgotten. God Bless our Vets!