renewable energy

Keep it civil
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

renewable energy

Post by Designer »

We've all been regaled about how this "green energy" will save us all. Talk about solar panels, wind turbines, etc. is seen in the "nerws" egualrly.

Here's something I found that was broadcast on TV news recently;

“The Biggest Waste of Money I Have Ever Spent in my Entire Life… I Own Very Little Power” – Customers are Furious About Solar Panels’ Poor Performance
By Jim Hoft September 22, 2022

The whole point of solar energy is to create clean energy in a cost-effective manner. Apparently, that is still not the case. :space: One Frederickton, Missouri resident was not happy after a solar energy firm misled him with empty promises.

“‘Own your own power,’ that’s what they said. I own very little power,” Curtis Jarvis told News 4.

Jarvis said that solar company Pink Energy, formally known as PowerHome Solar, assured him that their panels would provide more electricity than his house would ever need, but it was all a lie.

“The biggest waste of money I’ve ever spent in my entire life,” Jarvis said.

According to News 4, Jarvis agreed to pay more than $46,000 in monthly installments over the course of 25 years. According to the terms of his agreement with Pink Energy, he should expect a 61% decrease in his energy consumption. But in reality, it was only about 10%.

“They don’t produce enough to cover everything,” said Jarvis. “I was swindled. I was duped. Bamboozled.”

Another customer said, “I trusted the whole company, it was on TV all the time.”

Watch the video below:

The company Pink Energy has reportedly decided to permanently close down after receiving over a thousand customer complaints.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: renewable energy

Post by MattSunn »

Designer wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:41 am

Jarvis said that solar company Pink Energy, formally known as PowerHome Solar

The company Pink Energy has reportedly decided to permanently close down after receiving over a thousand customer complaints.
They will reopen under a different name.
I wonder how the BBB gives an A+ rating to a company with that many complaints. :confused:

I'm sure that the financial entity that loaned the money to these folks didn't close down. :Umm:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

MattSunn wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:58 am
Designer wrote:
Jarvis said that solar company Pink Energy, formally known as PowerHome Solar
They will reopen under a different name.
Being that our "government" is SO invested in THE SCAM that is "green energy", I'm sure you are correct. :space: This product will continue to be foisted upon us with MORE LIES about it under a different name.

MattSunn wrote:
...........I wonder how the BBB gives an A+ rating to a company with that many complaints. :confused:
Money talks,....they are probably in on The Scam.
MattSunn wrote:
.....I'm sure that the financial entity that loaned the money to these folks didn't close down. :Umm:
Yessir! :space: Our "government" who lent Solyndra MILLIONS before they WENT BANKRUPT without producing ANYTHING didn't close. :hellfire:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

These two statements are mutually exclusive:
Jarvis said that solar company Pink Energy, formally known as PowerHome Solar, assured him that their panels would provide more electricity than his house would ever need

And:
According to the terms of his agreement with Pink Energy, he should expect a 61% decrease in his energy consumption.
So which is it? a 61% decrease or more than it will ever need?

I agree Pink Energy will be back under a different name. Lots more colors to choose from.
This technology has been around a long time, but has never proved to be efficient.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

I have a buddy that has had solar panels as his source of energy for some 20+ years now. He owns a large home and has all the usual electric consumption items. He sells back to the utility company/ provider a good bit of energy every month because he produces more than he can consume.
I don't know enough about what he has or how it gets sold back, but I do know that he's told me that you really need to research the best system for your specific requirements and that it's not an off the shelf product where one size fits all. Helps that he's an electrical engineer with knowledge on solar systems, but they can effectively produce energy.
My "opinion" is that many of these stories reflect the fact that few people understand the unique nature of the systems and what they are capable of providing. As such people get sold a system that is not going to live up to the expectations.
Unfortunately this is where it comes back to reputable companies versus unethical.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Renewable energy is the future for the world, but until it is viable fossil fuels need to be explored and extracted from Mother Earth.
Much more research needs to be done with green energy and the right path to that goal needs to be done in an orderly fashion ..
Unfortunately, at the present time we have the wrong administration in power here in the USA to lead in that endeavor.

duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Before going much further into the failings of this "green energy" agenda ,....I think it wise to look at what is driving this "notion";

The war isn’t against ‘fossil fuels’ but rather the people
By Jack Hellner September 21, 2022

Every day, the political and media elites hammer the public with articles, rhetoric, and broadcasts about the existential threat of fossil fuels and climate change. :space: Democrats in Congress just passed a slush fund — also known as the Inflation Reduction Act — which gives massive amounts of money to their political interests who claim they can control temperatures, sea levels, and storm activity forever.

Politicians are waging a war against the people, which are made manifest in their attempts to force everyone to get rid of their cars, trucks, lawn mowers, and everything else powered by gas combustion engines, based on the unproven theory that they cause rising temperatures, storms, floods, and droughts. They want the poor and middle class to be forced to buy inefficient, impractical, and unaffordable options, or go without.

What they don’t put limits on are private jets, yachts, or the number and size of mansions that emit massive amounts of carbon compared to the rest of us. Those elites in Martha’s Vineyard and elsewhere are special, and therefore exempt.

On September 15th, Congress held a hearing on climate change, and as you might expect, there was a consensus that human and fossil fuel use contribute to climate change. However, what you wouldn’t expect is one expert witness who supported that claim, but didn’t argue for an irrational, and immediate transition to “renewable” energy so characteristic of Congress and the Biden regime.

The expert witness had many great bullet points advocating for the continued use of fossil fuels, and recognized that storm activity is not up, that natural gas is good, and that carbon pollution is down over the last decades despite increased use.

Here are some of the points the media clearly doesn’t want us to see:

1. The U.S. is failing to produce sufficient quantities of natural gas and oil for ourselves and our allies. The result is the worst energy crisis in 50 years, continuing inflation, and harm to workers and consumers in the U.S. and the Western world.

2. U.S. carbon emissions declined 22% between 2005 and 2020, global emissions were flat over the last decade, and weather-related disasters have declined since the beginning of this century.

3. The Biden administration claims to be doing all it can to increase oil and natural gas production but it’s not. It has issued fewer leases for oil and gas production on federal lands than any other administration since World War II. It blocked the expansion of oil refining. It is using environmental regulations to reduce liquified natural gas production and exports. It has encouraged greater production by Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, and other OPEC nations, rather than in the U.S. And its representatives continue to emphasize that their goal is to end the use of fossil fuels, including the cleanest one…

4. Efforts by the Biden administration and Congress to increase reliance on weather dependent renewable energies and electric vehicles (EVs) risk undermining American industries and helping China. :space: China has more global market share of the production of renewables, EVs, and their material components than OPEC has over global oil production. It would be a grave error for the U.S. to sacrifice its hard-won energy security for dependence on China for energy.

While I support the repatriation of those industries to the U.S., doing so will take decades, not years. Increased costs tied to higher U.S. labor and environmental standards could further impede their development. There are also significant underlying physical problems with renewables, stemming from their energy-dilute, material-intensive nature, that may not be surmountable.

What we never see in testimonies, articles, and news programs is any direct correlation between crude oil consumption, coal consumption, methane emissions, CO2 content and temperatures because there is none. The temperature has fluctuated the last 160 years cyclically and naturally as it always has.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

All the BS politics aside I know heaps of people over here who have their solar systems actually earn them credits on their home power bills.

No doubt there's different levels of tariffs which will affect this.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

And they who suffer from myopia causes them to see only what they want to see,.. and call The Vast Amount Of Factually Accurate Truth...."BS".

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Hang on a second Designer. I believe what hillsy posted is in line with what I posted. He's got a point that the use of solar for home use has become a political talking point. CONSIDER that solar has been in wide usage in homes since the 1980's, but has ONLY become a political talking point in the past 10 year's. What changed? Political agendas! There are millions of people who have been solely or partially utilizing solar for 40 year's.
Yes you can find many stories about dis-satisfaction and companies who aren't ethical, but there's more that have been satisfied with their systems for decades.
Again I would argue that it's not an "off the shelf" system, where one size fits all, but if done correctly it produces exactly what it is supposed to. I see it sort of like other technology that is only as good as how and what is being used. Take heat pumps. Great system IF you live somewhere with moderate temp's, but it'll fall short if utilized in climates with extremes. The person's just need to know the systems limitations.
So I'd hate to see this turn into another mud slinging contest just because hillsy stated his experience. Lot's of valid remarks being posted whether all agree or not.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

I am not saying that there are not solar installations where some folks who, using solar panels, are electrically "energy independent". :space: However, their numbers are SO SMALL as to not be able to make a Impactful/Significant difference in the overall "climate crisis" being screamed about and used to drive this "renewable energy agenda".

The majority of human population does not personally own the Land Size, Solar Aperture/Orientation, for the installation of a solar array that would be Big Enough to accomplish Personal Energy Independence. :space: A factor is the Dwelling itself and it's Energy Load/Requirements. :space: HVAC Equipment, Refrigerator, Dishwasher, Clothing Washer/Dryer, Entertainment Equipment, Lighting, Appliances such as Vacuums, Fans, Hair Dryers and such all must be factored into the solar array size/output. :space: All those factors,...along with local Seasonal Climate Snowfall, % Cloud cover, Rain, etc. further reduce the likelihood of being "Off Grid" as it often called. :space: I have experience with this sort of problem because I have had to perform such calculations/feasibility studies for clients who had such hopes.

The bottom line is that most people in the Worlds Countries live in/near cities/suburbs...and in those environs, individual energy independence is virtually impossible due to all those factors.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Designer I understand what you are saying, but you don't need a big array of panels to power a home. The friend I mentioned has panels mounted to the roof of his home. I can't say for certain how many but I would guess about 10. Those panels produce a surplus every month and his home has all the usual electric appliances and equipment.
Is it enough to result in a significant "green" power reduction? Probably not given millions of American homes already utilize solar and have since the 1980's. I believe that is what hillsy was getting at. It's not a debate about alternative energy systems for homes, but rather it's become a political talking point. Does solar work for homes? Yes it does IF done right. Is it going to solve climate change? Not likely. So really it's two different arguments/discussions which butt against each other.
In the post starting this discussion it was clear to me that the problem wasn't solar panels/energy, but rather being sold a system inadequate to address people's real needs. There's always some outfit looking to make a buck at the expense of an un-informed public.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

More about a facet of renewable energy that gets virtually ignored;

Heartbreaking Video Shows Eagle With Wing Ripped Off From Wind Turbine... Environmentalists Silent Despite Major Damage to Bird Population [VIDEO
By Amber Crawford | Sep 19, 2022

After major recovery efforts to get America’s national emblem, the bald eagle, off the endangered species list, environmentalists are pushing for the nationwide use of wind turbines, a device that kills an estimated one million birds each year – including eagles – along with posing further threats to wildlife.

Recently, Arizona GOP gubernatorial nominee Kari Lake shared a video of an eagle whose wing had been cut off by a wind turbine. She asked why environmentalists aren’t upset about the impact of these wind turbines.

“BILLIONS of birds – including thousands of American Bald Eagles. Why aren’t the environmentalists up-in-arms over this?”
While the video posted by Lake is from 2021, this is still a relevant issue that has been proven to pose a major threat to eagles, as well as all other birds that might fly by a wind turbine.

In April 2022, an American wind energy company, ESI Energy, was sentenced to probation and ordered to pay over $8 million after pleading guilty to criminal charges and admitting that at least 150 golden and bald eagles were killed at its wind farms.

The wind energy company also pleaded guilty to violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

Despite so much hard work going into the recovery of the bald eagle population, it appears that the green energy project takes precedence for conservationists and environmentalists over the preservation of our nation’s most precious bird – and all other birds for that matter.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

The biggest problem with being off grid is storing the power so you can use it when its not being generated. Batteries aren't cheap.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

As you know, the size of the array is dependent upon the energy requirements. :space: Perhaps your friend does without some amenities, or does not have large heating/cooling requirements due to house size, insulation, etc.....or that his Local Micro-climate is favorable. He might have a large roof area relative to all those requirements so that he can get all his panels on his roof,.... as would a ranch style home, for instance. Again,...your friend is The Exception,...many times over when the total population of humanity is considered.

And, there are WAY too many instances of faulty solar installations. :space: There is a a big "push" for residential solar much of it being subsidized (meaning we ALL are paying for it). the result of us all being stuck with 'the bill" makes for far and away too many economically faulty installations.
I have seen rooftop solar panels on East and West facing roofs. :space: Those directions are SO faulty in that their solar aperture ( read: power output) is so low as to make them almost useless ( not to mention NOT cost effective). :space Many are also shaded for several hours on top of that! :space: I have even seen panels mounted on THE NORTH facing roof.

the Solar companies don't care if they are faulty/ low output installations,...they get paid... ( BY US TAXPAYERS).. no matter what!

And,..... these installations I mentioned DO NOT power the homeowners homes directly,...they feed into the Grid,.. bypassing the home entirely. :space: So,...the homeowners are NOT becoming Energy Independent/self reliant.

All this falsity/inefficacy/poor return on investment brought to us by,......the government,.... pushing the Man-made Climate Crisis LIE.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I looked into the solar panels and the company I talked to was really great. I only have my garage roof that faces south because I have a ranch style that is oriented north and south. After looking at the house the salesman said that I would be lucky to get half of the power needs by putting some on the garage and some on the west facing roof. His advice was to forget about it...

I say this to point out that there are some, at least one, company that is honest.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

bassman
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by bassman »

Designer wrote:
...According to News 4, Jarvis agreed to pay more than $46,000 in monthly installments over the course of 25 years. According to the terms of his agreement with Pink Energy, he should expect a 61% decrease in his energy consumption. But in reality, it was only about 10%.
I kind of think the $46,000 in monthly installments is a misprint. Doubt anyone signs a 25 year contract for solar paying out $552,000 a year.

What is wrong with my thinking on home orientation? I really thought my house would be a perfect setup for solar. It's small, energy efficient, and oriented N/S. Since the sun in OK rises in the east and sets in the west (don't know about the rest of you) it means my roof is getting sun from the first thing in the morning until the last rays of the evening. If my roof was a north/south roof it would not get near the amount of sun it does now. Why is Herb's N/S home also not getting the full benefits of all day sun? It is initial cost and living on S.S. and pension keeping me from moving with solar.

Nick

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

You can use this web site to see if your home roof or ground installed are is compatible for a solar collection system..

https://www.solarreviews.com/solar-panel-cost

According to this media it would costs me around $20,000 bucks to install solar panels in my home..
lucky for me my home faces south and they are no trees in front of my home, and according to this web site
it would be viable for enough solar panels to furnish enough electricity (6kw) with tax credits applied.
Average electricity bill in Louisiana is $206.00 per month.
If you live in Louisiana, and we do,we paid the lowest average residential electricity rates of any state in the country – 9.66 cents per kWh.
Even if I install a system now it would take me approximately 9 years to break even..
No one in my area is advertising any kind of solar panels installation but Generac has ads
to install a backup system to the electrical grid in my area for about the same amount of costs..
Go figure
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Again lot's of assertions and not a lot of verifiable facts. So let's get some fact's into the discussion.
In 2020 more than 2.7 million home's in the USA were utilizing solar energy panels. The annual increase in solar use is running at around a 32% increase annually.

Designer you tossed out a lot of stuff so I will try to address it for you. The friend I mentioned lives in a very large 2 story home, with a large attached multi car garage. He has electric heating throughout his home and garage's, HVAC, and an electric high efficiency hot water system which handles all his hot water needs, jacuzzi and all. We have extremely cold winters here where utility use at least doubles due to seasonal changes. Summer without AC isn't practical for most so ac usually runs 24/7 from May until September. His roof is large enough to accommodate the panels required and they are all installed on the rear side of the roof. Obviously if he had a ranch style home the panels would need to be configured differently and his electricity use would also differ. He isn't sacrificing anything by utilizing solar. Hope I answered your concerns/questions/doubts.
There's ZERO doubt that a properly sized and installed solar energy system is able to provide more than the required/needed electrical energy for a residential home. Which gets us right back to the argument that the purpose of negative information is for political talking point.
I will agree that solar is not the end all for electric power. We have a local school that when built in the 90's incorporated solar into their new construction. The system provides ONLY 70% of the buildings electrical requirements leaving the additional 30% to utility supply, but the residents knew up front. They could have gone 100% solar but it would have required a panel farm on the school grounds that the public opposed.
Bottom line is as previously stated; properly sized and installed

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The house situated in a N/S way means that for almost half a day each side of my roof is mostly out of the sun. For the best use of solar panels the slope of the roof needs to face south. This is especially true in the winter with the shorter days.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.