T...those damn teachers again!!!

Keep it civil
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

T...those damn teachers again!!!

Post by DevilsFan »

This year alone, my school has lost the best principal I've ever worked for, then 2 weeks ago our parent liason (who is a HUGE presence in our school and an all-around awesome guy to the teachers and students) will be leaving next week. And then this past Friday our new-this-year Computer Science teacher, who has also been a great asset for our school taught his last day.

They're all leaving the profession.

The entire district's been understaffed the entire year.

I've been saying for years, y'all can blame the teachers but the good ones are leaving because of the lack of parenting and the nastiness of the "Not my kid" students.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/09/staff-qui ... %20buttons
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

bassman
Scooter Enthusiast

Re: T...those damn teachers again!!!

Post by bassman »

I cannot believe anyone who can land a good job in any field of industry would take a teaching job in any inner city. Students who turn classrooms into a living hell. Parents who don't show up for any Parent/Teacher conferences. No home life for so many of the kids and so few who really want to do real work in class to get ahead. They all think they can become superstar athletes, rappers or drug kingpins and be rich like the examples they have to live up to that are their heroes.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

DF, I'm retiring at the end of this school year. I had planned to stay 2 more year's but the policies and practices have changed so much that I can no longer be associated with it.
We're too worried about parents who won't be parents and students feelings to maintain any discipline in the school.

I do believe that all the legislative shortcomings that have gotten school's to this stage are about to implode which is probably a good thing. Always struck me oddly that education talks a great deal about student rights when educated people are supposed to know that children aren't developed and responsible enough.

It's all going to come around to the school choice scenario and all the folk's who have supported it are going to get a wakeup call . Watch and see.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Baltimore teacher brags about 'indoctrinating' students with taxpayer money: 'Put the taxes in the bag'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/baltimore ... -taxes-bag

A teacher in Baltimore, Maryland, celebrated "indoctrinating" students while dancing in a post on TikTok.

"Put the taxes in the bag," the teacher's post on TikTok said, as the middle school Spanish teacher jovially danced. The teacher was responding to criticism of using a song in which she lip-synched "f--- up on your b----" in a video adorning her classroom in pride materials.

Fox News Digital identified the teacher as Alexa Sciuto, who works at Pine Grove Middle School in the Baltimore County School District.

Sciuto responded to a user, who said, "None of this is what education is supposed to be about. Reading. Writing. Arithmetic. Why are you so f---ing hellbent on indoctrinating our children?"

She said, "I just got fired for indoctrinating my students."

"Sike," the next clip showed.

"Still employed," she said. "Put the taxes in the bag."

"Y'all will never take me alive," she added.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

SgtCall,...what you posted looks like it's pretty much a testimonial to what Bassman has said, isn't it! :Umm:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Designer wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:30 am
SgtCall,...what you posted looks like it's pretty much a testimonial to what Bassman has said, isn't it! :Umm:
It was more to show that the actions of some teachers is destroying the profession.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:56 am
Designer wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:30 am
It was more to show that the actions of some teachers is destroying the profession.
And it does that quite admirably too. :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

bassman wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:29 pm
I cannot believe anyone who can land a good job in any field of industry would take a teaching job in any inner city. Students who turn classrooms into a living hell. Parents who don't show up for any Parent/Teacher conferences. No home life for so many of the kids and so few who really want to do real work in class to get ahead. They all think they can become superstar athletes, rappers or drug kingpins and be rich like the examples they have to live up to that are their heroes.
Good post Nick, nothing for anyone to argue about from my view.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

I’ve been saying it ever since seventh grade… teachers can kiss my ass. Best teacher I ever had was when I was an apprentice Glazier, a journeyman who taught me well and made it possible to make a good living. Public schools are taught by a bunch of wimpy Commies.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Here's the thing.
First and foremost the law's are totally screwed up. Pandering to the LGBTQ+ group has created a mess.
Second kid's have too much access to thing's well beyond their developmental level. Computer's and cell's that provides unfettered access to exposure.
Third we have a very large number of inexperienced teacher's, administrator's, and supers that are attempting to navigate all these new law's and interactions with parents and students. Every disagreement results in threats of legal action.
And probably not last but last for me, many barely old enough to own a goldfish teacher's entering the profession. They're young, inexperienced, and of this new generation that believe colored hair and excepting is the key. They're wrong but all the experience has left or leaving.
I've said this many times before but it's worth pondering; our founding fathers believed education was a matter for states and local design because federal involvement would impact education in a negative way. Jimmy Carter created the federal dept of education and it's worked out just like the founding fathers knew it would.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

They need to bring back the paddle and ban cell phones from every school K-12. Ban computers too, the exception being in a computer science classroom.

My daughter didn't get a cell phone until she was 16 (22 now) and she had to get a job to earn the money for the phone and the plan. I have never paid a dime for her phone. Parents that allow, or even buy, phones for teenagers and especially pre-teens should be ashamed of their own weakness.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:32 pm
They need to bring back the paddle and ban cell phones from every school K-12. Ban computers too, the exception being in a computer science classroom.

My daughter didn't get a cell phone until she was 16 (22 now) and she had to get a job to earn the money for the phone and the plan. I have never paid a dime for her phone. Parents that allow, or even buy, phones for teenagers and especially pre-teens should be ashamed of their own weakness.

Would love to see that happen!!!

And, 16 years old?!?!?! Just about every 3rd grader has a cell phone. I saw it during my elementary teaching years.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

DevilsFan wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:55 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:32 pm

Would love to see that happen!!!

And, 16 years old?!?!?! Just about every 3rd grader has a cell phone. I saw it during my elementary teaching years.
Yes 16 and we never let her take her phone to school until she started college. She did have a android tablet at 14 but it was only for use in the house and during set hours. She had a google voice phone number on it so she could text and call her friends but only when she was at home. At the time I had a personal flip phone but mainly used my DoD issued blackberry so if she went somewhere that we thought she should have a phone she carried my flip phone. She hated it and had to hide it from her friends.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Sgt, paddling is still on the books but you won't find it being used due to law suites. As for phones? After they graduate! Not a single valid reason for a kid to need a phone.
And before someone asks, nope my kid's weren't allowed to have them until they graduated, and only so they had their own means of contact so my phone wasn't ringing off the wall.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Again, let me preface that the current middle school I'm teaching in is a pretty good school. Our students are mostly farmer's kids and we have a pretty large population of migrant worker's kids.

Almost all of the teachers in my school are quality professionals and overall fun people to work with.

So far we are down 1 Principal, 1 Parent/Teacher/School liaison, 1 Computer Tech teacher, 1 6th grade Science teacher,1 ESE teacher, 1 Home Economics teacher and one 8th grade Science teacher. Besides the science and ESE teacher everyone else has left the profession. They were all well-liked and had good relationships built within the school's community. But they left because they've had enough of the constant behaviors.

2 weeks ago one of the best teachers decided to take an open position at an A+ rated high school. She did a ton for our school and her classes often carried the overall school grade. But this year, she just got tired of dealing with all the bullshit...the nastiness of the kids and the parents who blame the teachers for their kid's nasty behavior. Plus...she was part of the Social Studies team. MY team!!!

Yesterday, one of our young, male teachers called it quits. He was also part of the social studies team. His is/was in his 3rd year of teaching and was also one of the local HS football coaches. He was offered a position at a private company and decided that spending more time tackling behaviors as opposed to teaching just isn't worth it anymore. He was one of the young, "cool guy" teachers that the respectful kids adored...and he got his job done! But he just had enough dealing with the INCREASING bad kids. Just too much of a hassle and sucked the life out of teaching.
I had a long conversation with him, trying to get him to rethink his decision. He was definitely struggling because he really wanted to make teaching his career. But he told me he just feels that the writing is on the wall that kids today are being allowed to run wild.

It's so disheartening, especially when they're young teachers just getting their feet wet and have so much potential, who are leaving the profession. I get the seasoned ones who have their time in and have had enough. But the young ones...they can have such a positive impact, especially for the good kids.

Our principal has tried to get interviews together but her and I have discussed this in length. And the conclusion is...there's NO TEACHERS looking for jobs out there! And very few young adults are wanting to pursue the education profession.

Yes, the school districts are responsible for a lot. But this is NOT a school system problem. This is a PARENT PROBLEM!

***Since the Civics class is a state-tested class and their scores count towards our school grade I have been asked to leave my classes and take over the Civics classes for the one teacher that left. I'm fine with this because I enjoy the Civics curriculum but am disheartened because my World History kids and I, as well as my 6th grade team members, have an excellent report. I'm sure many of my parents are going to be upset about this but, what else can we do??? So, my 6th graders will never have a consistent teacher in their class and for 11-12 year olds...the behaviors are going to get even worse.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Let me also fill ya's in on our week:

Eight 6th graders suspended. 11 and 12 year olds!!!

2 girls for skipping multiple classes
3 for vaping
2 for disruptive behavior - one that went ballistic in the AP's office, slamming his bookbag then lifting up and over a table. (And this kid just recently came back from suspension! Mom has been called in numerous times, even a home vist, but she refuses to show up.)

And one 6th grader that (are ya sitting down for this?) decided it would be "funny" to take a picture of his "junk", share it with his buddies and post it on InstaGram!!! And the kicker...this kid (one of my history students) is probably one of the smartest kids in all of 6th grade! The kid hardly ever comes to school but still gets almost all A's on his test scores!!!

I have requested 5 parent meetings, one where we had to get the behavior coach to go to the kid's house. He spoke with the mom, she agreed to meet at 9 am the next day with the teachers. We all waited and she, or her kid, never showed.

And that's just the 6th graders for last week alone. The 7th and 8th graders are a whole other issue. It's insane what these kids do and their parents couldn't care at all.

***But again, I know...I know....those damn, lazy teachers! :bonk:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

I don’t recall anyone calling teachers lazy. But they damned sure are a part of the decades old lefty infiltration of our education institutions.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

RoadKing wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:01 am
I don’t recall anyone calling teachers lazy. But they damned sure are a part of the decades old lefty infiltration of our education institutions.
In some ways, yes. But like everything, if you'd look deeper, many of the lefties are few and far between. Maybe in the college setting. But almost ALL of the teachers I've worked with are either non-political or conservative.

Most of the obvious liberal/Democrat teachers "generally" tend to be the black teachers. This is just from my observations. At the same time, it often requires a black teacher to come into a room and get "ghetto" on these kids. Many respond to that.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

DF, educators can point finger's at the parents and some truly do deserve it, but that is not the real problem. Here's my observation from my time in teaching.
New teacher comes into district and not much happening in the way of training for classroom management or anything else, just tossed in. Eventually they complete the principal cert and college, moving up into admin. Next they complete the super cert and college, again moving up the ladder. Now they are in charge so what do they do? They go along! They go along with the parents, the board, the state, and the feds...never saying NO!
So in reality the parents are only doing what they do because they are allowed. The state and feds implement all kinds of new rules that EVERYONE in education knows goes contrary to good education and classroom management, and yet the supers go along. It's not even that they don't care, but rather their not trained to not go along.
The bottom line is that it's going to get worse. And before someone says school choice? Bullshit! Same problems only the parents have better lawyer's.
At the end of the day until the folk's in charge grow a pair and are willing to say no, nothing will change. Little chance of that because of $$$$

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

DevilsFan wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:28 am
Let me also fill ya's in on our week:

Eight 6th graders suspended. 11 and 12 year olds!!!

And that's just the 6th graders for last week alone. The 7th and 8th graders are a whole other issue. It's insane what these kids do and their parents couldn't care at all.

***But again, I know...I know....those damn, lazy teachers! :bonk:
Here is one you can try. I was what you may call a troubled teenager, never really disrespectful of teachers or adults but I was suspended or given in house suspension many times in my 2 years of public high school. At the end of my 10th grade year I was politely asked to never return to Fulton County public schools but was allowed to finish off the school year. To my point, all of the suspensions and detentions did very little and I really didn't care about them. The one thing that really got my attention was something that my principal came up with and me and a 3 friends got it at the same time. We would be suspended indefinitely or our parents had to spend 3 days in school with us sitting in all of our classes. All of us had our mothers in school with us and it was terrible. Out of all the punishments handed out this was the only one I still remember to this day.