New mower...

Keep it civil
hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

New mower...

Post by hillsy v2 »

Exciting stuff, I know.

My current mower is self-propelled pull / electric start. I got it from Aldi about 6 years ago. The pull start disintegrated about 2 years ago so it was only electric / battery start. I figured I’d keep it until the day the battery crapped out then ditch the whole thing. That day felt like it was creeping up on me…

Anyway, our local Aldi had a newer version on sale for $250 this week (funnily enough – that was the exact same price I paid about 6 years ago for my old mower). This one doesn’t have electric start (that’s OK – I can live with that) but is still self-propelled. And a 3 year warranty which is pretty neat.

Here’s the box – from memory feels a lot lighter than the old one…

Hmmm….some assembly required…

Not in a rush so RTFM (read the f’ing manual)…

Hey wow – an exploded parts diagram in case I pull it apart…

Meh – that didn’t take long…

They ship these things without any fluids….so I found some oil in the shed…

Thought I’d take a look at the air filter – interesting set up for a cheap mower with a 2 stage filter…

The filters were completely dry - I figured oiling up the 1st stage filter was probably not a bad idea…

I guess if it starts to run rich the oil would have done it’s job – and I know where to look…

Jeez – this rip cord looks thin – might be exercising that 3 year warranty at some point…

So here’s the 2 mowers side by side

The new mower is HEAPS lighter than the old. I guess part of that is no electric start but I think everything is a bit lighter duty all round (refer to the rip cord).

New mower also has a soft / fabric / textile catcher versus the solid catcher of the old one. I can possibly see this perishing over time with the impacts from stones, etc but a lot of the big name mowers have textile catchers so maybe not?

So what does it mow like???

Well....pretty good actually! Catches pretty well - doesn't throw loose grass out between the mower and catcher (the old one did that a bit) and the mesh catcher seems to "filter" the clippings better than the solid one. Put in the mulching plug and it mulches REALLY well. The old mower mulched pretty well - but would often leave the odd clump of grass here and there. This one seems to mulch a lot better.

How would I rate it? I'm not an expert on mowers, but as far as what it does I'd give it 4 out of 5. As far as self propelled mowers go - it is really light - quite easy to not use the drive and just push like a normal mower. The old one was pretty much reliant on the drive due to the weight.

Value for money? I'd say that's 5 stars - you won't see another self-propelled mower anywhere for this money. The cheapest other ones are $500+

Anyway, if it outlasts the warranty I'll be happy - and if not, then I get my money back. I figure this will be my last petrol mower - I think my next mower will probably be a battery one the way that tech is evolving.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: New mower...

Post by sgtcall »

Aldi does get some good stuff in sometimes.

Here's mine the day I got it put together 2 years ago. It's a self propelled 50 inch, 725cc Vtwin with electric start.

If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:21 pm
Aldi does get some good stuff in sometimes.

Here's mine the day I got it put together 2 years ago. It's a self propelled 50 inch, 725cc Vtwin with electric start.

Nice :ShitGrinandThumb:

We don't have a big enough property to warrant a ride-on. In some ways I wish I did but I know a lot of people with acreage and all they do is moan about how they spend forever on their ride-ons :lmao:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

I only have 1 acre and it takes about an hour and a half to mow.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

I have a JD rider and a self propelled Honda bagger which I rarely use. My home is on a hill so while I don't have a big property, my back won't allow me to walk behind a mower.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

My landscaper uses a zero turn. :ShitGrin:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

MattSunn wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:34 am
My landscaper uses a zero turn. :ShitGrin:
That's what I've got.
Toro Time cutter.
And I can do the lawn alot faster than the tractor type.

and I would never run motorcycle oil in it. :evil: :lmao:

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

A few years back a guy was selling a Snapper rider for $350 on Craigslist. I called him and said I'd take it and I'll be over in an hour.

I get there...and he can't start it. He tries everything. I'm watching him. He's stumped but looks at me and says, "How about $180 the way it is?".

Before I agree I'm thinking there has to be some kind of safety before the engine catches. I put it in park, press down on the brake, hit the electric start button...and it fires right up! :ShitGrin:

He says, "Well, I told you $180 so...". I said how about $260? He was adament that I pay no more than what he stated. I gave him the $260 and told him I'm buying the mower for $180 but giving you an $80 tip because it's got a full tank! :ShitGrinandThumb:

LOVED that Snapper, it was a beast! And the Snappers allow you to pull the gas tank off so you can store the mower upright.

Since then it's been all Toro self-propelled. I need the exercise!
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

So the Aldi mower has been going great - starts first pull and is super easy to use.

Here's a few pics of me mulching up some hedge clippings...

Hedges out the back getting a little ragged...

Quick light trim - not a huge amount of clippings but enough to probably not mow over?

Anyway - no problem..

Annnnnddd.....GONE...

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

The yard look pretty good. Almost like a beach property. Are you near the beach?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:55 am
The yard look pretty good. Almost like a beach property. Are you near the beach?
I'm about an hour from the surf beaches either way north or south. We're in a sub tropical climate so it's either everything on fire or flooding :ShitGrin:

Right now it's the start of summer and we've had a fair amount of rain so everything is growing exponentially.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:42 am
sgtcall wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:55 am
I'm about an hour from the surf beaches either way north or south. We're in a sub tropical climate so it's either everything on fire or flooding :ShitGrin:

Right now it's the start of summer and we've had a fair amount of rain so everything is growing exponentially.
:ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Cheers sarge :cheers:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Nice thread Hillsy
I really liked the
"What does it Mow Like"

Awesome comparison thread
You should get many problem free hours with it
Great thread Keep um coming

How is your recovery coming along

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:29 pm
Nice thread Hillsy
I really liked the
"What does it Mow Like"

Awesome comparison thread
You should get many problem free hours with it
Great thread Keep um coming

How is your recovery coming along
Cheers FA - it's a bit off topic for a bike forum but at least it has an engine and a clutch. I'm just amazed at how well it mulches for a cheap mower :clap:

Recovery is a bit slow - going to see an Orthopaedic Surgeon later this week as there is quite a bit of tendon damage in the shoulder which may require surgery. Anyway, still just punting the scooter around every now and again to keep a two wheel focus of some sort.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I like the handlebars...and the pipes are really compact. :rag:

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE THE ELECTRIC STARTER WILL FIT THE NEW ONE ....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

HARRIS wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:29 am
THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE THE ELECTRIC STARTER WILL FIT THE NEW ONE ....
You mean from the old mower? Totally different engines.

Besides - the old mower is long gone now.