Age of elected officials

Keep it civil
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Age of elected officials

Post by Designer »

As we are talking about Age and Physically Competency, using number-of-years-in-office relates well with the aging process and thus, would a sensible First Step in avoidance of what we are currently seeing with biden-sick-suck and McConnell. :space: Herbs suggestion that 70 be the age when sworn in would dovetail with that nicely.

Using term limits as means to limit special interests influence hardly fits in with this,.......nor could such be realistically effective.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:55 am
As we are talking about Age and Physically Competency, using number-of-years-in-office relates well with the aging process and thus, would a sensible First Step in avoidance of what we are currently seeing with biden-sick-suck and McConnell. :space: Herbs suggestion that 70 be the age when sworn in would dovetail with that nicely.

Using term limits as means to limit special interests influence hardly fits in with this,.......nor could such be realistically effective.
The longer they are in office the more power they wield. Cut the time in office and you have new blood to deal with things. It also makes it easier to remove a communist from office.

Besides the longer they are in office they get farther away form the population and the more privilaged they feel.

It is the same reasoning that they used to have only 2 terms for the president.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

The general gist of what you say is true, Herb,...And your suggestion(s) of TIME limits works well to that end . As you pointed out here;
Herb wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:50 am
Cut the time in office and you have new blood to deal with things. It also makes it easier to remove a communist from office.
However,....he notion that limiting to two terms limit's pandering to corporate interests is rather naïve. :space: For corporate "influencers" are often right there even as the newly elected official first enters office.

And this?......it is just assumptive opinion;
tbeck wrote ....Two terms simply isn't enough for corporate investment.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Then why did they limit the president???

Just for the fun of it???

Why would you be against limiting the time in government?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:28 am
Then why did they limit the president??? Just for the fun of it???
I didn't say that I am against limiting the time in government.

You can see here that I am in agreement with your suggestion(s);
Designer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:22 am
Herb wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:12 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:38 pm
I would like to see either 2 or 3 terms and if they want more they need to run for the other part of congress. Meaning a senator could do 2 terms then run for the House, or the other way around, for another 2 terms.
Total of 12 years in ALL government political offices... With a max age at the last swearing in of 70.
Either one of these seems to be the more Realistically Reasonable of suggestions to me.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Ok, it seemed like you were against term limits. Sorry that I misunderstood.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

My tendencies are more in line with T's...

Career Politicians are the scourge of Washington DC

joe biden is the recent idiot in office, in my opinion he was installed not elected..
I'd bet my SS check he will be in absentee in his basement for the next Presidential election. :fu: :fu: :bang: :bang:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:18 pm
Ok, it seemed like you were against term limits. Sorry that I misunderstood.
Naw Worries Mate,...it's all good~! ( from Crocodile Dundee) :ShitGrin:
Perhaps I should have been more specific as to whence it was that I had referred to ? :space: :bow:

Certainly what you and SgtCall speak of is a better thought-through, more realistic concept than....."They shouldn't be holding office beyond age 67" ....."two terms it limit's pandering to corporate interests".....because....... "Two terms simply isn't enough for corporate investment".

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:49 am
sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:42 am
Herb wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:12 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:38 pm
Tbeck wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:51 pm
They shouldn't be holding office beyond age 67 in my opinion and they need to be limited to two terms.
Never believed in either of the aforementioned in the past but it's clear that the people are too stupid to vote out congressmen. So it should be no different than the president's office, two terms
I would like to see either 2 or 3 terms and if they want more they need to run for the other part of congress. Meaning a senator could do 2 terms then run for the House, or the other way around, for another 2 terms.
Total of 12 years in ALL government political offices... With a max age at the last swearing in of 70.
12 years would be a little limiting since a Senate term is 6 years. If a senator wanted to run for President he or she would have to do it after their first term and would only be able to serve one term as President. Also do you mean federal government offices, what about people that hold state office then move to federal office?
The state offices would have no impact, only federal offices. The states will have to take care of their own.

The president is restricted to 8 years, I say 12 because that is the same as 2 terms as a senator and 4 terms as a congressman.

I really don't care about a person working for higher office, the point is to limit the impact that longevity in office has.
So you like the idea of a one term senator running for president. You must have loved Obama.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:28 am
Then why did they limit the president???

Just for the fun of it???

Until 1951 (the 22nd Amendment) there was no limit on how many terms a president could serve. Until then it was just generally known that two terms was the limit out of respect for George Washington's statement that a president would only serve 2 terms.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:36 pm

So you like the idea of a one term senator running for president. You must have loved Obama.
And what does that have to do with the subject? You are throwing out a red herring argument. Keep in mind that the obummer would NOT have been able to run for a second term, when he did the most damage.

BTW, the demented pervert would not have been able to be vice president or president. Tell me EXACTLY how that would be a bad thing.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:06 am
sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:36 pm

And what does that have to do with the subject? You are throwing out a red herring argument. Keep in mind that the obummer would NOT have been able to run for a second term, when he did the most damage.

BTW, the demented pervert would not have been able to be vice president or president. Tell me EXACTLY how that would be a bad thing.
Simple, the 12 years total in office would force 1st term senators with sights on the White House to run after their first term. For the most part we know very little about 1st term senators, they hold very little power in the senate so we don't even have much of a record on them except their votes, but the votes are normally along party lines so they don't say much. Limiting the number of terms in each house but not the total number of years in government office would allow someone to establish a record that voters could use to make a choice. That of course is assuming that the election is not rigged in the first place.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Sgt, chasing your tail here. What difference does it make with regards to how long someone served, IF they served? It doesn't mean a hill of bean's with regards to a Presidential bid. The focus should be on limiting the amount of time any person can serve in DC.

Designer, yes corporate lobbyist court new congress persons with an EXPECTATION that they'll influence vote's by investment in the congressman's CAREER. No career and little to no influence. A new congressman limited to two terms has little to no political clout, and the legislative process is long in most instances. So what I was saying is that it's not beneficial for corporations to invest like they currently do. Hope that makes sense to you, but if not feel free to ask away and I will try to explain differently.

I believe that the point of the conversation here is how to address the continued problem of career politicians staying in office LONG after they are capable of doing the people's work. Age of elected officials runs right into the problem of "career" politicians and the influence they acquire as a result. Take the current president, but we could name McConnell, McCarthy, Sander's, pelosi, etc.... They ALL are CAREER politicians. Now look at what a senator, or representative earns annually. Then ask yourself how they all are multimillionaire s and own several multimillion dollar homes?

Two terms max and out IMO