Age of elected officials

Keep it civil
Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Age of elected officials

Post by Herb »

I think that 70 when sworn into office would be a reasonable age limit. I know that there are a lot of people in their 90s that are still doing well but the chances of a debilitating medical incident goes up exponentially as a person passes 70. Senator feinstein is a classic example of a medical incident that prevents a person doing their job.

What do you all think?

https://theconservativeview.com/musk-ca ... l-episode/
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Age of elected officials

Post by Designer »

I tend to agree.

there CERTAINLY MUST be a MANDATORY testing of cognitive abilities when we see the OBVIOUS signs of failures such as with this Fetterman moron,...Feinstein cadaver,.....Biden walking embalmed idiot....

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

The trouble with cognitive testing is that it is too subjective... And the people are too easily bribed. That has been proved by the statements from the demented ones doctors.

I think an age limit is the best alternative.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I can't remember who it was but I once watched part of a debate on raising the retirement age. A congressman used the fact that so many of his fellow congressmen were still working in their 70s and 80s as an example of why they should raise the age. My argument is that there is a difference in working a desk job and a labor job so his example was bullshit. When you have these elitists old people in office they think that everyone should think like they do. The simple fact is there comes a point in life when people need to relax and be grandparents not try to make laws that affect the greater population.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:56 am
I can't remember who it was but I once watched part of a debate on raising the retirement age. A congressman used the fact that so many of his fellow congressmen were still working in their 70s and 80s as an example of why they should raise the age. My argument is that there is a difference in working a desk job and a labor job so his example was bullshit. When you have these elitists old people in office they think that everyone should think like they do. The simple fact is there comes a point in life when people need to relax and be grandparents not try to make laws that affect the greater population.
+1 :cheers:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:30 am
The trouble with cognitive testing is that it is too subjective... And the people are too easily bribed.

Simple! :space: Put ME in charge of evaluation! :space: :ShitGrin: :lmao: :jester:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Designer wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:30 am
Herb wrote:
The trouble with cognitive testing is that it is too subjective... And the people are too easily bribed.

Simple! :space: Put ME in charge of evaluation! :space: :ShitGrin: :lmao: :jester:
You'd be too old. Refer to first post.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

Herb wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:50 pm
I think that 70 when sworn into office would be a reasonable age limit. I know that there are a lot of people in their 90s that are still doing well but the chances of a debilitating medical incident goes up exponentially as a person passes 70. Senator feinstein is a classic example of a medical incident that prevents a person doing their job.

What do you all think?

https://theconservativeview.com/musk-ca ... l-episode/
I agree with Herb and sgtcall. I'm approaching 76, tough labor most of my life as a logger. I know it sounds weird, but I'm tracking and monitoring my own decline. I always loved crossword puzzles, logic problems, trivia etc. I've proven to myself that I can't do these things near as well as I did in previous years.
The folks that say you won't realize you are declining are mistaken. Actually, it's one of the problems in my life I can do nothing about. So I have the attitude that I know what's happening and pretty much say fuck it. Still here taking care of myself.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I agree. I am 73 and see the decline, so does my wife and she reminds me everytime I forget something. :ShitGrin:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:10 pm
I agree. I am 73 and see the decline, so does my wife and she reminds me everytime I forget something. :ShitGrin:
As far as I know I never forget anything. :cheers:
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:57 pm
Herb wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:10 pm
As far as I know I never forget anything. :cheers:
That is the best thing about losing memory, you don't remember what you forgot...

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Since I am getting older, this is my next car.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Designer wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:30 am
Herb wrote:

Nope.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

They shouldn't be holding office beyond age 67 in my opinion and they need to be limited to two terms.
Never believed in either of the aforementioned in the past but it's clear that the people are too stupid to vote out congressmen. So it should be no different than the president's office, two terms

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Tbeck wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:51 pm
They shouldn't be holding office beyond age 67 in my opinion and they need to be limited to two terms.
Never believed in either of the aforementioned in the past but it's clear that the people are too stupid to vote out congressmen. So it should be no different than the president's office, two terms
I would like to see either 2 or 3 terms and if they want more they need to run for the other part of congress. Meaning a senator could do 2 terms then run for the House, or the other way around, for another 2 terms.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:38 pm
Tbeck wrote:
I would like to see either 2 or 3 terms and if they want more they need to run for the other part of congress. Meaning a senator could do 2 terms then run for the House, or the other way around, for another 2 terms.
Total of 12 years in ALL government political offices... With a max age at the last swearing in of 70.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:12 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Total of 12 years in ALL government political offices... With a max age at the last swearing in of 70.
Either one of these seems to be the more Realistically Reasonable of suggestions to me.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
sgtcall wrote:
Tbeck wrote:
12 years would be a little limiting since a Senate term is 6 years. If a senator wanted to run for President he or she would have to do it after their first term and would only be able to serve one term as President. Also do you mean federal government offices, what about people that hold state office then move to federal office?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:42 am
Herb wrote:
sgtcall wrote:
Tbeck wrote:
12 years would be a little limiting since a Senate term is 6 years. If a senator wanted to run for President he or she would have to do it after their first term and would only be able to serve one term as President. Also do you mean federal government offices, what about people that hold state office then move to federal office?
The state offices would have no impact, only federal offices. The states will have to take care of their own.

The president is restricted to 8 years, I say 12 because that is the same as 2 terms as a senator and 4 terms as a congressman.

I really don't care about a person working for higher office, the point is to limit the impact that longevity in office has.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

All good suggestions BUT there's an underlying reason for 2 term limits.
First of all it limit's pandering to corporate interests. Two terms simply isn't enough for corporate investment.
The second reason is just if not more important; public funded pensions. Limit to two and no pension from the taxpayers.

Herb, 70 sounds reasonable for getting them out, but not in JMO. Couple reasons for my thoughts; health and understanding of the constituents. A 70 year old and our particular interests for government aren't too far apart. However 70 and 25 are miles apart. Again JMO