NASA reestablishes contact with Voyager 2 located more than 12 billion miles from Earth

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

NASA reestablishes contact with Voyager 2 located more than 12 billion miles from Earth

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

NASA announced Friday that the "interstellar shout" worked and Voyager 2 is once again sending back data. The reoriented itself turning the antenna back to Earth.

NASA has reestablished contact with its interstellar spacecraft Voyager 2 after an incorrect command pointed the spacecraft away from Earth, cutting off data for about two weeks.
An incorrect command sent to Voyager 2 on July 21 left the mission science team at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California unable to get data from the spacecraft.

NASA keeps in contact with the twin spacecraft Voyager 1 and 2 through its system of ground antennas known as the Deep Space Network (DSN). NASA said it lost contact with Voyager 2 on July 21 after a series of planned commands sent to the spacecraft caused an unintended shift in its antenna to point 2 degrees away from Earth.
The data blackout would have continued until an automatic correction in October, but teams used the Deep Space Network antenna in Australia to send the correct command hoping to hit the intended target more than 12.3 billion miles from Earth.

"October is a long time to wait," Voyager project scientist Linda Spilker at NASA’s JPL told FOX Weather last week.

It took about 18.5 hours for the command to reach Voyager and 37 hours for controllers to learn if it worked, according to the space agency.

"At 12:29 a.m. EDT on Aug. 4, the spacecraft began returning science and telemetry data, indicating it is operating normally and that it remains on its expected trajectory," NASA wrote.

VOYAGER 1 CONTINUES ZOOMING THROUGH INTERSTELLAR SPACE 45 YEARS AFTER ITS LAUNCH
The Voyager 1 and 2 spacecraft mission began in 1977 after both spacecraft launched separately from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, taking advantage of a 176-year planetary alignment that made the grand tour of all four giant outer planets possible.

This illustration shows the positions of NASA’s Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 probes outside the heliosphere, the region surrounding our star, beyond which interstellar space begins. (Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech)

Prior to the communication sabbatical with NASA, Voyager 1 and 2 would send back multiple hours of data every day. The Voyager 2 spacecraft still has five instruments operating, each using only 4 watts of power per year.

Voyager 2 visited Uranus and Neptune before exiting the heliosphere in 2018-- the protective bubble of solar wind considered to be the boundary of our solar system.

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/ ... data-again
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: NASA reestablishes contact with Voyager 2 located more than 12 billion miles from Earth

Post by Designer »

GREAT NEWS!

When I first heard they lost contact, I thought to myself,..dang! what a terrific opportunity to learn more now lost.

but now,...we have it back! :space: :clap:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: NASA reestablishes contact with Voyager 2 located more than 12 billion miles from Earth

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, it's interesting to ponder how much we don't know about space, but also what ultimate benefits might come from the investment.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Yes indeed... I am awe struck with the distances involved.
Signals to Voyager take 18.5 Hours to arrive on its station 12.3 Billion miles away :blink: :blink:

For me it's hard to wrap my mind around those numbers. and the speed of those waves directed at both!
Mind boggling :rag:
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Now if you really want your mind to fry, we've done more research into what's out in space than we have finding out about what's in the depths of our oceans.

98VS1400
Site Admin
My Bike: None of your business

Post by 98VS1400 »

Tbeck wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:47 pm
Now if you really want your mind to fry, we've done more research into what's out in space than we have finding out about what's in the depths of our oceans.
Speaking of fried minds, we know far more about deep space and the deep oceans than we do about how someone was able to drop a baggie of cocaine in the most secure facility on planet earth.

But hey, science.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

98VS1400 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:10 am
Tbeck wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:47 pm
Speaking of fried minds, we know far more about deep space and the deep oceans than we do about how someone was able to drop a baggie of cocaine in the most secure facility on planet earth.

But hey, science.

And you are right..
This administration led by the mindless is so corrupt along with the liberal media it's pathetic..

I blame the uninformed or ignorant public that voted this pile of horse shit and his slut vp into office.. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: