Leyburn sprints

Keep it civil
hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Leyburn sprints

Post by hillsy v2 »

For something a little different I went with my 2 bro in laws to the Leyburn Historic Sprints...

It's about 2.5 hours from Brisbane and it's been going each year for the last 27 years. Well organised and you can go into the pit area and chat with the owners - who all seemed pretty chilled. It's a sprint race time trial over a short street circuit. The fastest this year was around 40 seconds. Cars get about 8 runs each over the weekend. There were about 150 cars this year.

Didn't know you could squeeze a V8 into a Morris Minor...

Quite a few MC engined open wheelers...

Hayabusa in this one

Ford XY GT Falcon from 1971 - I assume it's a replica as originals are over 300k now and either locked up in garages or museums...

And some others...

Of note was this Morris with a blower out front

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: Leyburn sprints

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Cool Beans :ShitGrinandThumb:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Looks like a cool event.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Great fun hey?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Thank you for sharing ounce again
I used to spend a lot of time at car shows I have even worked on a couple winners in different categories.
I would have enjoyed going to this event

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:43 pm
Thank you for sharing ounce again
I used to spend a lot of time at car shows I have even worked on a couple winners in different categories.
I would have enjoyed going to this event
Yeah it was a lot of fun. Something really interesting was a lot of the drivers were quite old - from memory the oldest guy was in his 80's. My bro in law also recognised a guy he'd seen some years back when he was camping at the Bathurst Supercar races - he was in his late 70's and still racing a sprint car. Gives us all a bit of hope that getting old doesn't have to mean getting slow :ShitGrinandThumb:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:48 pm

Yeah it was a lot of fun. Something really interesting was a lot of the drivers were quite old - from memory the oldest guy was in his 80's. My bro in law also recognised a guy he'd seen some years back when he was camping at the Bathurst Supercar races - he was in his late 70's and still racing a sprint car. Gives us all a bit of hope that getting old doesn't have to mean getting slow :ShitGrinandThumb:
Nice to hear a few Old Dogs are still showing up at events like this Most of them will let you look over their entry's and answer question
If and when you have any
Because they actually built their rides

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

FallenAngel wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:04 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:48 pm

Nice to hear a few Old Dogs are still showing up at events like this Most of them will let you look over their entry's and answer question
If and when you have any
Because they actually built their rides
True dat. A couple of young guys were eye-ing over the Hayabusa car I got a few pics of then they started talking to the owner / driver builder. He pulled off the steering wheel and told you of the young fellas to get in. Which he did. Really cool to see that level of genuine love of the sport.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Mad Max turned most of us gear heads in the US to the 70s Falcon
I have seen 2 here in the states One was an incomplete non runner and the other was a 90% complete runner driven daily owned by the same person

Oh and this is super cool
And it all fits under the hood

I would love to crawl around this car for an hour or 2

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

He's had to cut a big recess in the firewall to squeeze that V8 in there. I didn't get any other pics but it was pretty tight between the frame rails.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:13 pm
He's had to cut a big recess in the firewall to squeeze that V8 in there. I didn't get any other pics but it was pretty tight between the frame rails.
One of the things I noticed was the power brake booster
I had a 68 dodge dart with a big block with standard brakes There wasnt enough room for a standerd booster
I did have power steering
Everything in that car was tight
I had to get 3 of the plugs from underneath 3 more with a combination of an offset and standard open end wrench and spark pug socket
II had a 727 tuorqflight with a shift kit and a 2400 stall converter so as soon as I lifted off the throttle it coasted
Also I braked a bit early

The thing was a beast
I hated tuning it when it needed
but the outcome was freaking AWSOME
I had to use a low intake to get it all under the hood