College Degree?

Keep it civil
Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

College Degree?

Post by Herb »

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/1 ... 2023-11-25

...“The higher ed system has worked itself out of a job,” according to CEO Andrew Crapuchettes of RedBalloon. “By losing focus on the mission of preparing their students for their career, they’ve become a non-factor, or even a negative factor, in helping job seekers find a job.”

A report in the Washington Times reveals that only 10% of small business owners in a RedBalloon survey said they want job candidates with college degrees....

...Nearly half of those workers, those graduates looking for employment, said in the survey that college “failed to prepare them for the 9-to-5 workplace,” the report said.

They’ve turned to social media and on-the-job lessons to fill in the gaps.

The polling from RedBalloon, which was joined by PublicSquare in the work, said two-thirds of the owners of 905 small businesses say graduates simply don’t have the “relevant skills” for their companies....
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Re: College Degree?

Post by HARRIS »

COLLAGE HAS FAILED TO EDUCATE IN INFO THAT MATTERS, AT INCREDIBLE PRICES. MONEY SPENT LEARNING A TRADE

PAYS OFF CONSIDERABLY IN MOST CASES ....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

But here's the thing. College wasn't designed to prepare anyone for employment. College was designed for people who wish to expand their knowledge.
Unfortunately Vietnam changed all that and it became a revolving door for employment seeker's BECAUSE businesses decided that potential employees should come ready made so the business didn't have to invest in their employees.
Now the marketplace is FLOODED with job seekers with a college degree. The problem is that the country doesn't need all the college papered job seekers.

I laughed at the students saying that college failed to prepare them for the workplace 9-5. That's right nobody at college told them to get their lazy azz out of bed :lmao: .

For the record it's a USELESS article. I could have told you that college has become a complete waste of money. High school kids going on to college has been DECREASING for the past 4 year's. So the kid's are WAY ahead of this story.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Tbeck wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:11 pm
For the record it's a USELESS article. I could have told you that college has become a complete waste of money. .....
But,...YOU DIDN'T . :space: :dunno:

So Herb posting as he did is hardly a,...."useless" ...Article in light of your lack of saying anything about the subject, eh? :Umm:

Thanks again Herb for your diligence in posting Timely and Newsworthy Articles. :space: I read them all. :ShitGrinandThumb: .

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

As I said in my post Designer, it's about 3-4 year's behind the national trend. USELESS!!!! NOT timely at all.
Just another case of someone selling out of date information for their own gain.

I'm not knocking Herb for posting it, just pointing out that it's outdated.
Of course so are you so for YOU it probably seems timely.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Oh Gawd! :space: Here we go AGAIN. :donno:

Does timmy ever think that the information within the Article Herb posted might be News to others? :space: Or that it's content is an update on this issue? :Umm:

Nope :space: :dunno:

Tim-Almighty bellows from his Lectern and passes decree that it is...."useless".....merely because he already knew about the issue and that it has been..." a national trend for some years now".....with yet another lambasting of what Herb posts. :space: :roll:
Tbeck wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:11 pm
For the record it's a USELESS article. I could have told you that college has become a complete waste of money.

Textbook example of his Arrogant, I-know-it-all mindset. :space: :uhh:

How sad that when he does rarely come around to post, we see him "grace" our forum with the same bad behavior he has a well know history of.
:sad:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

He could have, but didn't.

Information from an unknown individual is useless, especially if the individual has a history of being wrong, information from a study done by a respected source means something.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb, but I am rarely wrong, and frankly I wasn't aware anyone on the forum CARED about some kid paying too much for a useless degree. Had I know I would have told you.

Designer, yes HERE we go with MORE of your PERPETUAL ARGUING. YES it's YOU! Look for yourself, I'm RARELY here anymore BUT YOU are STARTING an ARGUMENT with someone in EVERY post. :dunno:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

In the future I see better opportunities and more job security in the trades. Even for the IT guys, many companies look for certifications over degrees.

A friend of mine, that retired from the Army about the same time as I did, went both ways and it has worked out for him. He finished a college degree in business while in the Army then ran into a guy from Keller construction at a job fair. He always like construction but the guy told him he would need experience to get a management job. He then recommended a heavy equipment school in GA. So my buddy retired and went to the school learning all kinds of equipment and then took an additional course on cranes. After graduation he started working for Keller as a crane operator on a travel team earning $75k a year and living in hotels 90% of the time for free. After 3 years and getting married he applied for a position at the Keller maintenance facility as a supervisor and is now the site lead earning almost $200k.

Sometimes a little of both worlds doesn't hurt.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Sgt, spot on :ShitGrinandThumb: . Is a degree useful in getting hired? It can be if it's coupled with experience. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.
High school students are a pretty good measuring stick when it comes to vocational school, college, military, or just entering the workplace. What ever they're doing after graduation is a really good gage.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Tbeck wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:40 pm
Designer, yes HERE we go with MORE of your PERPETUAL ARGUING. YES it's YOU!
What a JOKE. :space: You post here .."rarely"....yet ..Right-off-the-bat YOU start an argument over Herb's Article. :space: hmmmm :Umm:

Tbeck wrote:
Look for yourself, I'm RARELY here anymore BUT YOU are STARTING an ARGUMENT with someone in EVERY post.
Back your lying again.
Let's see you prove that I start and argument is EVERY THREAD.

You can't :wink:

However, we do see this about YOU:
Designer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:30 am
MattSunn wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:37 pm
Tbeck wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:46 pm
I just found it interesting that you have to argue with everyone in every post.
Interesting. There is another player in that game.
Yes, and the other player made his..."appearance"....in this Thread right away;
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=28
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=33
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=101
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=103
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=113
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=122
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=123
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=132
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=139
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=143
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=144
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=199
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=201
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=203

That's just about everyone in that Thread he's argued with...... while it is that I have not.:space: :dunno:

With this list of his "actions",.....we see indeed,...that it is timmy that has done that which accuses me of doing;
Tbeck wrote:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Blah blah blah..... Just more of YOUR BLATHERING on Designer.

NO one is interested, particularly me :Cool:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Retired from the trades in 2005 and its paid off for me, for without my trades pension I would not have been able to retire at an early age.
Both my two brothers attended a local university, one went on to work for a major company in America and the other ended up in the trades like me.
I have no regrets, made some lifelong friends over those 40+years of manual labor.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

So,...we see timmy has FAILED to prove his accusation made here;
Designer wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:43 am
Tbeck wrote:
Look for yourself, I'm RARELY here anymore BUT YOU are STARTING an ARGUMENT with someone in EVERY post.
Back your lying again.
Let's see you prove that I start and argument is EVERY THREAD.

You can't :wink:
:Cool:

Tbeck wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:33 pm
Blah blah blah..... Just more of YOUR BLATHERING on Designer.
NO one is interested, particularly me
We will take this Factual Ignorance of yours as acknowledgment of THE TRUTH in what I posted about your Bogus and FALSE accusations made against me.....AND THE TRUTH about you and YOUR postings I made here;
Designer wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:30 am
MattSunn wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:37 pm
Tbeck wrote:
Interesting. There is another player in that game.
Yes, and the other player made his..."appearance"....in this Thread right away;
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=28
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=33
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=101
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=103
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=113
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=122
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=123
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=132
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=139
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=143
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=144
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=199
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=201
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14049&start=203

That's just about everyone in that Thread he's argued with...... while it is that I have not. :space: :dunno:

With this list of his "actions",.....we see indeed,...that it is timmy that has done that which accuses me of doing;
Tbeck wrote:

:Cool:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:17 am
Retired from the trades in 2005 and its paid off for me, for without my trades pension I would not have been able to retire at an early age.
Both my two brothers attended a local university, one went on to work for a major company in America and the other ended up in the trades like me.
I have no regrets, made some lifelong friends over those 40+years of manual labor.
Straight out of HS I started college in 1967 and figured out right away that it wasn't going to work for me. Everything was the "instructor is always right, even when proved wrong". They were just like one of the teachers on here.

Side note, the college was a teachers college in Oregon.

Gave up on college and started a mechanics course in a community college. Life got in the way of that and I went to work as a logger. Made a lot of friends and enjoyed the work. However I could see that it was a dying industry so I joined the Marines to get training in a trade.

Ended up spending 30 years in the Corps as and Avionics tech. Good life, met great people, felt good to fix broken things, and felt like I was doing something good for the country, life turned out good.

Too bad the Corps Has gone the way of the schools.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

Herb wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:50 am
Life got in the way of that and I went to work as a logger.
Were you logging in Oregon? We may met up a few times. Or not. We were contracted to do hillside work. It was slow in Michigan, didn't want to lay off my crew. Most had CDL licenses which really helped. Made some money. Only 8 week contracts, I only brought a skidder and a harvester and a forwarder. So three semi's and trailers.I rented a couple of machines too. Some forwarding equipment. This was 1996 - 1999. Expensive to get there from the U.P. , but was a change of scenery for us. I hear Oregon is a lot different politically now than back then.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Yooper wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:34 am
Herb wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:50 am
Life got in the way of that and I went to work as a logger.
Were you logging in Oregon? We may met up a few times. Or not. We were contracted to do hillside work. It was slow in Michigan, didn't want to lay off my crew. Most had CDL licenses which really helped. Made some money. Only 8 week contracts, I only brought a skidder and a harvester and a forwarder. So three semi's and trailers.I rented a couple of machines too. Some forwarding equipment. This was 1996 - 1999. Expensive to get there from the U.P. , but was a change of scenery for us. I hear Oregon is a lot different politically now than back then.
My years as a logger were 1967 to 1975. 96 to 99 I was stationed at China Lake, CA. and Tustin, CA.

What part of Oregon were you working in? All of my time in the woods was in southern Or and Northern Ca.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I always find people's personal work histories interesting. There's a very broad swath of occupations and history amongst the members. Might be an interesting topic to get everyone posting about?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

College Professor Higher Education Has Become a Threat to America
By Mike LaChance Dec. 5, 2023

John Ellis is a professor emeritus of German Lit at UC-Santa Cruz. In a column for the Wall Street Journal, Ellis declares that higher education has become a threat to America and he is right.

Ellis contends that our college campuses have been taken over by radical left-wing ideologues obsessed with social justice and other progressive political concepts and that actual education has suffered as a result.

He suggests that this problem will get worse unless more Americans wake up and see this threat for what it is and demand that Congress cut funding and that schools send the radicals packing.

From the Wall Street Journal:
Higher Ed Has Become a Threat to America
America faces a formidable range of calamities: crime out of control, borders in chaos by design, children poorly educated while sexualized and politicized against parental opposition, unconstitutional censorship, a press that does government PR rather than oversight, our institutions and corporations debased in the name of “diversity, equity and inclusion”—and more. To these has been added an outbreak of virulent antisemitism.
Every one of these degradations can be traced wholly or in large part to a single source: the corruption of higher education by radical political activists.

Children’s test scores have plummeted because college education departments train teachers to prioritize “social justice” over education. Censorship started with one-party campuses shutting down conservative voices. The coddling of criminals originated with academia’s devotion to Michel Foucault’s idea that criminals are victims, not victimizers…

Never have college campuses exerted so great or so destructive an influence. Once an indispensable support of our advanced society, academia has become a cancer metastasizing through its vital organs. The radical left is the cause, most obviously through the one-party campuses having graduated an entire generation of young Americans indoctrinated with their ideas.

This is how he says the problem can be solved:
But how can we stop them? State lawmakers can condition continued funding on the legitimate use of that money and install new campus leadership mandated to replace professors who are violating the terms of their employment. Though only possible in red states, this would bring about competition between corrupt institutions and sound ones. Employers would soon notice the difference between educated and indoctrinated young people. ..

But the only real solution is for more Americans to grasp the depth of the problem and change their behavior accordingly.
Cutting off the money is a great place to start. Colleges are extremely motivated by funding. Cut off the cash and make it clear that real change is demanded before any funding is put back in place.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Designer, I just wanted to point out that it wasn't ME who started the argument in this post. AGAIN it was YOU! Just as it is ALWAYS YOU.
So for the RECORD and BECAUSE YOU brought it up. I stayed an opinion that it's a useless article because it's way behind in reporting. I also said a number of other things in my response.
WHO came along and ATTACKED my response? YOU!!!!!
WHO KEEPS making personal ATTACKS??? YOU AGAIN!!!

So not only have a stated an ACCURATE observation of your PERPETUAL ARGUING, but YOU PROVIDED the PROOF.

ONCE again I will REMIND the MODERATOR that personal attack are a violation of the board policies. I WON'T hold my breath waiting for it to be addressed, BUT I will keep reiterating this point until you act. This behavior has been TOLERATED for too long.
How many MORE members must leave?