Top 10 Motorcycles For Senior Riders

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Top 10 Motorcycles For Senior Riders

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

There is some truth behind the saying, “You are never too old to start riding.” And if you’ve ever enjoyed the thrill of riding on two wheels during some part of your life before, but had a very long hiatus, you have every reason to get back and relive that thrill again. The great thing about being a senior rider compared to a younger newbie is that chances are your finances will be slightly better, opening more options for you to get started, and insurance companies are also more willing to insure a more mature rider.

If this will be your first motorcycle purchase ever, brought on by some midlife crisis, just know you are not alone. There are many riders who actually finally consider getting a motorcycle later on in life. Unlike other best motorcycles for beginners lists that usually cater to younger riders, this list is made for older riders who tend to consider certain factors such as comfort, ease of handling, and other specific preferences that are less focused on a bang-for-your-buck criterion.
Motorcycles can be more than just a recreation vehicle, opening the doors to some extraordinary journeys that some never thought they could take. So, it's time to look past the stigma of old age and embrace your adventurous side, because there is no time like the present to enjoy the thrills that motorcycling has to offer.

Honda Rebel 500
MSRP: $6,449
For men going through a midlife crisis, there is a clear trend for those who either opt to get a sportscar or rush out and get a motorcycle. Either way, they are probably going to get yelled at by their partner. For those who get a motorcycle, more often than not they choose to get a cruiser. But instead of getting the typical bar and shield branded cruiser, we recommend the Honda Rebel 500.

Performance Specifications
Engine
471cc
Type
Liquid-cooled Parallel-twin DOHC
Power
46 horsepower
Torque
30 pound-feet
Weight
408 pounds

The Honda Rebel 500 comes recommended for senior riders who have seen it all and just want something more tame, as well as being a good choice for newer senior riders. This lightweight cruiser has all the looks of a badass cruiser while offering reliable performance that is fun to ride. The 471cc parallel-twin engine produces 45.9 horsepower and 29.9 pound-feet of torque. It may not be a bike to take on long journeys, but it is a satisfying motorcycle that will last you a lifetime.

Kawasaki Versys 650
MSRP: $10,099
If you have dreams of taking your bike on long journeys, but don’t want your body to feel like you’ve just ridden a horse, the Kawasaki Versys 650 might be a good option. Although marketed as an adventure bike, the Versys 650 feels more suited for asphalt than gravel. Thanks to its upright and relaxed sitting position, senior riders will praise how comfortable riding this bike is. The seat height may be challenging for shorter riders, but Kawasaki offers a lowering kit for those who need it.

Engine
649cc
Type
Liquid cooled, 8 valves, parallel twin
Power
64 horsepower
Torque
47 pound-feet
Weight
483 pounds

It is fitted with a bunch of electronic features that make the Versys 650 easy to ride, such as traction control, adjustable ABS, and ride-by-wire. The only thing lacking is cruise control, which would make this bike the ultimate middle-weight tourer. Although the 649cc parallel-twin engine is the same as the one in the Ninja 650, it has been tuned differently to deliver smooth and responsive power throughout the rev range. Kawasaki claims that the Versys 650 produces 64 horsepower and 47 pound-feet of torque at 7000 RPM, which is enough power for beginner riders to handle.

Royal Enfield Himalayan
MSRP: $5,449
The Royal Enfield Himalayan may look like a street bike dressed up to work off-road, but this Indian adventure bike was made to conquer the rural roads of India. This lightweight adventure bike is one tough nut and made to contend with the likes of the KTM Adventure 390 and BMW G 310 GS. Although it lacks the modern technology found in its contenders, this bike offers power that is very manageable and is excellent for senior riders who want to dip their feet in adventure riding. Experienced riders will also love how raw this bike is, as there are minimal electronic aids that you can rely on to get yourself out of questionable situations when off-road.

Engine
411cc
Type
Single cylinder, 4 stroke, air-cooled, SOHC, fuel injection
Power
24 horsepower
Torque
23.6 pound-feet
Weight
440 pounds

The 411cc single overhead cam fuel injected single cylinder engine delivers 23 horsepower and 32 Nm torque at 6500 rpm. The low seat height makes it very approachable for different riders, but the suspension has long travel, which is great for rough roads, yet on the highway, it does feel a bit sluggish. Senior Riders will adore the relaxed riding stance formed by the raised handlebar and neutral foot pegs. The saddle of the Himalayan is also the most comfortable for an adventure motorbike in its class.

Harley-Davidson Street Glide
MSRP: $21,999
If a Harley-Davidson is the only thing on your mind, we suggest skipping past the Sportsters and just getting yourself a Harley-Davidson Street Glide. A Road King would be another contender if you are more into the classic Bagger style, but they are pretty much the same bike. The Street Glide is one of Harley-Davidson’s grand American Tourers that has been jam-packed with touring features, so you know you are sure to get a comfortable ride on this massive two-wheeler. Newer senior riders may want to think again before purchasing one because the weight can be a little overwhelming when maneuvering in the parking lot.

Performance Specs
Engine
1,746cc
Type
Liquid-cooled, Milwaukee-Eight 107 V-twin
Power
100 horsepower
Torque
111 pound-feet
Weight
796 pounds

The Street Glide is fitted with the Milwaukee-Eight 114 V-twin, mated to a six-speed transmission that Harley claims to produce around 100 horsepower and 111 pound-feet of torque. Being a full-fledged tourer, Harley has fitted some very cushy seats that make you feel like you are straddling a sofa. The high-performing front and rear suspension provides a very comfortable ride and is sure to prevent chances of back pain in senior riders.

Triumph Bonneville T100
MSRP: $11,495
Older riders may want to reminisce about a time they had on their first bike, hence the resurgence of many retro-styled bikes on the market today. Out of the many classic-designed bikes, the Triumph Bonneville T100 is probably one of the best that comes to mind and is also a good first bike for a newbie senior rider. The fairly low 31-inch seat height makes it very approachable, even for shorter riders, and the power ensures you won’t quickly get bored with it. Add to that a comfortable riding position, and great handling, plus all at a considerably affordable price, and you have yourself a great bike for both young and old.

Performance Specs
Engine
900cc
Type
Liquid-cooled, 8 valve, SOHC, 270° crank angle parallel twin
Power
55 horsepower
Torque
59 pound-feet
Weight
503 pounds

Keeping with the classic styling, the Bonneville T100 is fitted with a 5-speed rather than a 6-speed transmission. The liquid-cooled 270-degree parallel-twin engine produces a tame 55 horsepower and 59 pound-feet of torque which means that it’s an easy ride, even for beginners. Despite its classic styling, the Bonneville T100 is fitted with modern features such as dual-channel ABS, traction control, and a torque-assisted clutch to keep riding safe and fun.

Suzuki SV650
MSRP: $7,399
Many riders began their journey on a Suzuki SV650, and its legacy still lives on today. For over 20 years the SV650 has been the affordable middle-weight naked bike for those graduating from smaller displacements or know that they can handle a mid-sized engine. First seen as the budget Ducati Monster, over the years Suzuki has continued to improve the bike’s overall performance and handling to create a bike that some say is the greatest of all time. As simple as you can get, the SV650 isn’t stuffed with fancy electronic aids or unique gimmicks, but what you get is a bike that offers raw power and a guarantee that you’ll be smiling ear-to-ear after every ride.

Engine
645cc
Type
Liquid-cooled V-Twin DOHC
Power
75 horsepower
Torque
47 pound-feet
Weight
432 pounds

Comfort-wise, it isn’t the best at absorbing bumps, and the seat height may be less approachable for shorter riders. Despite that, its handling is nimble and is ready to lean into the twisties when you want it to. The 645cc, DOHC, V-twin engine hasn’t changed much over the years and produces strong, torque-rich horsepower. On the latest model, Suzuki claims 75 horsepower at 47.2 pound-feet of torque, which is significantly higher than later models. You can easily find a second-hand SV650 for cheap, which might be a better option as you are sure to have loads of fun on this bike, whatever model year you get.

Indian Roadmaster
MSRP: $31,499
If you are looking for a big touring bagger but hesitant to go Harley-Davidson, yet want something truly American, then the Indian Roadmaster is what you may be looking for. This premium touring motorcycle is the ultimate two-wheeler that ensures you comfortably get to your destination while still getting there in style. Indian’s classic silhouette is paired together with modern features and a powerful engine to deliver a stunning long-haul tourer. The weight may be too much for newer senior riders, but experienced riders will find it much more manageable than other massive tourers in its class.

Engine
1,890cc
Type
Air-cooled Thunderstroke 116 V-twin
Power
92 horsepower
Torque
126 pound-feet
Weight
909 pounds

At the heart of the Roadmaster is the air-cooled Thunderstroke 116 V-twin engine, which produces 92 horsepower and delivers 126 ft-lbs of torque for exceptional power at low RPMs that is smooth to ride at any speed. Touring bikes thrive off their promise of providing comfort for all riders, and the Roadmaster is stacked with amenities to keep riders focused on the road. Heated grips and a plush 2-up seat with independent heat controls for both the passenger and driver spoil the rider making the journey, guaranteeing comfort no matter the distance.

Suzuki Burgman 650
Used Price: $6,500 Upwards
Beginner senior riders may be more inclined to a more manageable two-wheeler, like the Burgman 650, Suzuki’s premium maxi-scooter that has all the amenities of a tourer bike, in a scooter. This large automatic scooter is easy to ride and offers low enough ground clearance for anyone to ride. You can simply twist the throttle and away you go. The cozy laid back seating position and plush saddle, plus great suspension make the Burgman a great scooter, not only for commuting around town but also for long-haul riding as well.

Engine
638cc
Type
Liquid-cooled Parallel-twin
Power
55 horsepower
Torque
45 pound-feet
Weight
610 pounds

The Burgman 650 boasts the largest scooter engine offered in North America with a 638cc parallel twin engine which is liquid-cooled and has fuel injection. Suzuki claims that the Burgman 650 produces 55 horsepower and 45.7 pound-feet of torque. Sadly the Burgman 650 was discontinued by Suzuki in 2018, leaving the smaller Burgman 400 to take its place.

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
MSRP: $14,999
A senior rider with slightly more experience and hopefully more money to spend would probably opt for a nice sports-tourer compared to a bagger. For one, they offer more speed, plus the comfy ergonomics and ride help prevent any chance of a sore back after long rides. The Yamaha Tracer 900 GT is a bike that has the right combination of power, handling, technology, comfort, and styling thanks to Yamaha’s addition of sophisticated electronic engine management, semi-active suspension, and other improved features.

Engine
889cc
Type
Liquid-cooled Inline-three DOHC
Power
115 horsepower
Torque
69 pound-feet
Weight
485 pounds

The best way to describe the Tracer 900 GT is everything we love about the MT-09 plus a lot of extra amenities to make the bike more comfortable for long-haul riding. Like the new MT-09, the latest Tracer 900 GT engine has been slightly bumped up from 847 cc to 890 cc, producing 115 horsepower and 64.5 pound-feet of torque. Yes, the Tracer 900 GT is more comfortable than the MT-09, but like its naked sporty counterpart, the high seat height makes it less desirable for shorter riders. The updated electronics also add to the weight, making it less approachable for new senior riders.

BMW K 1600
MSRP: $26,230
What do you do when you want a sports-tourer but with all the amenities and creature comforts of a bagger? The BMW K 1600 is the choice for you, more specifically the K1600 B (B is for bagger). BMW has long been seen as a brand for senior riders, as they are the ones that usually have enough spare income to afford one, and the K1600 promises all the performance, all the technology, and everything except the kitchen sink of features, to guarantee an amazing ride. Despite being 785 pounds, it is so easy to ride and surprisingly nimble. The lower seat height also makes it very approachable.

Engine
1,649cc
Type
Oil/Water-cooled Inline-six
Power
160 horsepower
Torque
133 pound-feet
Weight
785 pounds

With an inline six-cylinder 1,642 cc engine, you are pretty much straddling a car engine between your legs. But with all that power, BMW has incorporated some of the best electronic aids to help even the most novice of riders easily handle this bike. BMW claims that the K1600 can produce 160 horsepower and 132.7 pound-feet of torque, which may be overwhelming for a new rider, but once you start rolling on the throttle, you will swear there is no other bike that can compare. Acceleration is smooth, and even if you twist the throttle too harshly, the onboard computer will adjust accordingly to keep you safe.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusi ... a134&ei=21
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Top 10 Motorcycles For Senior Riders

Post by sgtcall »

I would add the Triumph Bobber or 2018+ Speedmaster to that line up. They have the 1200 cc motor and are a little heaver than the T100 but very agile and easy to control. A great alternative for big Harley lovers that want something in the same style as they age. Of course I am a bit biased.

Also I was just down at my local powersports store the other day and they have a Kawasaki Eliminator 450 that the sales guy said is his best selling bike right now. Lots of new riders get them but the older guys are also picking them up. He says they have good power for a 450 and handle great. it even comes with foot controls that can be adjusted to the rider allowing for mids to forward all for the same base price. He said just buy it with the forwards and they will give you all the parts to convert them back to mids, a change that only takes basic tools and 30 minutes. It looks like a fun bike.
https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcyc ... eliminator
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Can't believe they put in the SV650 and not the DL650.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

sgtcall wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am
I would add the Triumph Bobber or 2018+ Speedmaster to that line up. They have the 1200 cc motor and are a little heaver than the T100 but very agile and easy to control. A great alternative for big Harley lovers that want something in the same style as they age. Of course I am a bit biased.

Also I was just down at my local powersports store the other day and they have a Kawasaki Eliminator 450 that the sales guy said is his best selling bike right now. Lots of new riders get them but the older guys are also picking them up. He says they have good power for a 450 and handle great. it even comes with foot controls that can be adjusted to the rider allowing for mids to forward all for the same base price. He said just buy it with the forwards and they will give you all the parts to convert them back to mids, a change that only takes basic tools and 30 minutes. It looks like a fun bike.
As a senior, the Eliminator appeals to me. Some of the bikes on that list don’t. I’d subtract a few of them and add the Kaw Vulcan S and Z650, the Royal Enfield Super Meteor and the new Sportster Nightster. Just from my geezer view. :dunno:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

MattSunn wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:30 am
sgtcall wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am

As a senior, the Eliminator appeals to me. Some of the bikes on that list don’t. I’d subtract a few of them and add the Kaw Vulcan S and Z650, the Royal Enfield Super Meteor and the new Sportster Nightster. Just from my geezer view. :dunno:
I love the Royal Enfield lineup. They are great looking bikes at a price point most people can afford. Someday I would like to have one as a daily rider but keep my Speedmaster for fun.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

THE BEST IS TO GRADUATE TO A CONVERTIBLE, 4 WHEELS, TRUNK, AND A LOT SAFER AND MORE COMFORTABLE.

CELL PHONES AND LACK OF LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS MADE IT MUCH TO UNSAFE OUT THERE ... OH AND MAYBE THEY CAN SEE US BETTER

ON THE ROAD
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Quite a mixed bag in the list and several of them are hardly starter bike's.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:59 pm
Quite a mixed bag in the list and several of them are hardly starter bike's.
Yeah the Beemer 1600 is no lightweight or slouch.

Admittedly it has a fairly low seat height but not a "starter bike" by any stretch of the imagination IMO.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Well I am assuming the dedicated age for Seniors would be the magical number of 50..
At age 50 I was riding a Harley Sport and it weighed in at 683 lbs. and it was manageable for me..

And it was just a few years ago at age 77, I was riding a 911 lb Harley Limited.. albeit with some knee problems. :ShitGrinandThumb:
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:33 am
Well I am assuming the dedicated age for Seniors would be the magical number of 50..
At age 50 I was riding a Harley Sport and it weighed in at 683 lbs. and it was manageable for me..

And it was just a few years ago at age 77, I was riding a 911 lb Harley Limited.. albeit with some knee problems. :ShitGrinandThumb:
At 74 I am still riding the 1400 but it is really getting long in the tooth. I need to replace it and would like to go a little lighter but everything I look at, that I like the looks and performance of, isn't much lighter.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:58 am
Suzuki Johnny wrote:

At 74 I am still riding the 1400 but it is really getting long in the tooth. I need to replace it and would like to go a little lighter but everything I look at, that I like the looks and performance of, isn't much lighter.
I still say you should take a good look and test ride of the Triumph Bobber or 2018+ Speedmaster, if you need the passenger seat. Weight difference is not huge but the bike carries the weight well and is a completely different feel from the VS1400. Plus they handle much better and have more power in a small motor.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, I would think that when they reference senior's, they're talking 60 and up?
Hillsy, the K16 is actually pretty mild and not too crazy but the weight is the factor. Basically they have a number of 800lb bike's on the list as starter bike's. They might be good for touring but they're also a recipe for getting a new rider in trouble. Dropping, overloading, pushing the limits in safe distance, etc.... The more experienced riders here have been touring for year's and REFINING the skills and knowledge necessary to tour safely. Even with all that some of these experienced riders have had mishaps.

Long and short for me a starter bike for ANYONE should be 650lbs or less. Engine size is a non-issue in my book.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

sgtcall wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:09 am
Herb wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:58 am
Suzuki Johnny wrote:

I still say you should take a good look and test ride of the Triumph Bobber or 2018+ Speedmaster, if you need the passenger seat. Weight difference is not huge but the bike carries the weight well and is a completely different feel from the VS1400. Plus they handle much better and have more power in a small motor.
I love the 1400 and if Suzuki still made the 1400 I would buy another one. It feels much lighter and is easy to handle at all speeds even parking lot speeds. The seat height is perfect and it is easy to back up and to top it all off I like the looks of them. I can't seem to find a new bike that fits me as well as the 1400.

Guess I am just spoiled after riding 2 1400s over 34 years and for
about 400,000 miles.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Tbeck wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:30 am
SJ, I would think that when they reference senior's, they're talking 60 and up?
Hillsy, the K16 is actually pretty mild and not too crazy but the weight is the factor. Basically they have a number of 800lb bike's on the list as starter bike's. They might be good for touring but they're also a recipe for getting a new rider in trouble. Dropping, overloading, pushing the limits in safe distance, etc.... The more experienced riders here have been touring for year's and REFINING the skills and knowledge necessary to tour safely. Even with all that some of these experienced riders have had mishaps.

Long and short for me a starter bike for ANYONE should be 650lbs or less. Engine size is a non-issue in my book.

I should have checked my age group before posting a 50-year-old as a senior.
Webster has a senior at age 65, I'm assuming they used the retirement age as a guide. Which is not surprising.
That right there changes a lot of input or output depending on how well preserved a bike rider would be at that age.

Weight of the bike didn't affect me until the age of 77 and at that time my Sweet wife suggested I start looking for a 3 wheeler if I wanted to continue riding motorcycles. And with that I decided on a Harley Trike, My decision was a good one as I have no regrets with the move, I'm still riding and enjoying every ride. At present my yearly mileage has decreased about 4K miles down to about 8k a year. Basically, I've stopped doing long distance trips around the USA, mainly because my lifelong riding partner gave up riding altogether after his wife passed away.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Take this however you want, as it goes along with the theme here.