10 Best Metric Cruisers Ever Made

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

10 Best Metric Cruisers Ever Made

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

It’s not just the Americans who know how to make a great cruiser
The cruiser might be as American as apple pie and Harley-Davidson and Indian might have built successful companies manufacturing them in all shapes and sizes, but that’s not to say that the Japanese and European manufacturers don’t know a thing or two about how to roll down the road in style and comfort.
While some so-called ‘metric’ cruisers might be mere pastiches of the traditional American cruiser, other models have been more innovative, taking the cruiser in a different, more dynamic direction while still maintaining the core values of comfort and style. Here’s our pick of the best metric cruisers over the years.

Yamaha Virago
1981 - 2007
Yamaha Virago studio shotYamaha
Yamaha’s first attempt at a cruiser and a hugely successful attempt it was too. One of the first mass-produced motorcycles to be fitted with monoshock rear suspension, it was later re-engineered to a twin-shock rear end, perhaps for a more traditional look. Available in a huge array of displacements, from 125cc to 1063cc, with either chain or shaft final drive. All models had plenty of chrome and traditional cruiser styling. The 1063cc version (called the XV1100) produced 60 horsepower which, along with an all-in weight of only 540 pounds, allowed it to out-perform contemporary Harley Davidsons. Excellent build quality accounts for the large number of Viragos still running today.
Engine
V-Twin
Power
60 horsepower
Torque
62 foot pounds
Weight
540 pounds

Honda Shadow
1983 - today
Honda Shadow static shotHonda
While the Honda Gold Wing is considered to be a touring motorcycle, Honda has played in the cruiser segment since 1983 with the long-running Shadow model. Like the Yamaha Virago, the Shadow has been available in displacements of between 125cc and 1100cc, all with shaft final drive. If the Shadow, like many of the Japanese cruiser attempts, is unashamedly American in conception and design, they appeal because of their reliable engineering and smooth running. Some Shadow models even had more vibrations engineered into the engine, not to mention sounding like a Harley-Davidson, through the use of a single crank pin engine, while all shamelessly copied the traditional Harley looks. Typical Japanese quality means long life and excellent reliability.
Engine (750cc version)
V-Twin
Power
43 horsepower
Torque
44 foot pounds
Weight
507 pounds

Kawasaki Vulcan 900
1984 - today
Black 2023 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic static profile shotKawasaki
If the 1970s saw the rise of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, then the 1980s was the decade where they really started flexing their muscles and attacking markets in which they had no previous experience but which they proved just as capable of competing in successfully. The Kawasaki Vulcan, as with the Yamaha Virago and Honda Shadow, has been built with engines ranging from 125cc to 2,053cc, with the Vulcan 1700 Vaquero and Vulcan 900 being the models built today. Maintenance and dirt-free shaft drive yet again, great style, comfort and smooth running. If early models looked like bad copies of American cruisers, recent models have defined a design language of their own, or is it just because the Japanese cruiser has become familiar?
Engine
V-Twin
Power
50 horsepower
Torque
57 foot pounds
Weight
610 pounds

Suzuki Boulevard M109R BOSS
2006 - today
A studio front 3/4 shot of a 2023 Suzuki Boulevard M109R B.O.S.S.Suzuki
Suzuki was a little later to the cruiser market than its Japanese rivals and followed the herd in producing copies of Harley-Davidsons, with greater or lesser success, depending on your viewpoint. Then, in 2006, came the Boulevard M109R and Suzuki changed the Japanese cruiser landscape. Suzuki decided to dial in performance to the M109R, giving it a near 1,800cc V-Twin engine, pushing out 120 horsepower and 100 foot pounds of torque. Of course, such power requires control, so Suzuki gave the M109R sports-bike brakes and suspension that raised the dynamic stakes of the class up a notch or two: it was a sports cruiser! Big, bold and beautiful, it is fast as well and not just in a straight line!
Engine
V-Twin
Power
123 horsepower
Torque
118 foot pounds
Weight
764 pounds

Honda Valkyrie
1997 - 2015
Blue Honda ValkyrieHonda
Honda obviously took a good look at the Gold Wing and realized that the engine was tailor-made for a cruiser-type motorcycle. The result was the Valkyrie, using the 1500cc version of the Gold Wing’s flat six-cylinder engine in a typical cruiser chassis and styling. That it was aimed squarely at the American market was evidenced by the decision to build it at Honda’s Ohio plant, and it was certainly American in concept and style.
Eventually, it received the 1800cc Gold Wing engine in 2003 although the styling of the Rune model, as it was called, was polarizing to say the least. After a break, the Valkyrie was re-introduced in 2014 which lasted for a couple of years. One of the few non-V-Twin engined cruisers, it was also one of the best, irrespective of country of origin.
Engine
Flat Six cylinder
Power
118 horsepower
Torque
120 foot pounds
Weight
750 pounds

Ducati XDiavel
2010 - today
Ducati XDiavel Green next to a Lamborghini Ducati Motorcycles
‘Ducati’ and ‘cruiser’ are not two words you would normally think to put together but the arrival of the XDiavel changed all that. It continued the trend of the performance cruiser started by the Yamaha VMax and was powered by a 1,262cc V-Twin engine, pushing out 152 horsepower and 92 foot pounds of torque, giving a top speed of 160mph: this was no ordinary laid back cruiser. If the straight line performance was special, then so too were the chassis dynamics, impressive despite the long wheelbase and weight. Using belt final drive - a first for Ducati - the XDiavel was Ducati’s fastest accelerating model, with a 0-60mph time of 2.9 seconds! Italian style and performance had come to the cruiser market.
Engine
V-Twin
Power
152 horsepower
Torque
92 foot pounds
Weight
549 pounds

Yamaha VMax
1985 - 2020
Black VMAXYamaha
Straight line speed for straight line speed’s sake, the Yamaha VMax pre-dated the Ducati XDiavel by 25 years and was no less celebrated, even if it was for all the wrong reasons! Blisteringly quick in a straight line, being powered by a 1,197cc V4 engine pushing out 120 horsepower at the rear wheel (shaft driven), it also recalled certain 1970s sports bikes by having a woefully inadequate chassis that meant it was a real handful to get round corners at speed. Distinctive looks hid a small gas tank which meant it wasn’t practical for long distance riding but with acceleration like that, who cared? A completely new VMax arrived in 2009 with a 1,679cc V4 engine and a chassis that could actually contain the power without tying itself - and the rider - in knots. One of the great motorcycles.
Engine
V-Four
Power
120 horsepower
Torque
122 foot pounds
Weight
683 pounds

Triumph Rocket lll
2004 - today
2022 triumph rocket 3 (1)-1via: Triumph Motorcycles
Excess for the sake of it, Triumph’s Rocket lll arrived in 2004 and amazed everyone. Not content with equaling the engine displacements of rival models from Harley and Honda, Triumph went all-in with a longitudinally-mounted three-cylinder engine of 2,294cc, producing 148 horsepower and a massive 163-foot pounds of torque: even the starter motor made as much power as the very first Triumph engine from 1902! Big, bulky and imposing, Triumph called it a ‘musclebike’ as opposed to a cruiser, but it filled that role just as well. In 2019, the updated Rocket 3 arrived, with a 2,458cc engine, pushing out 165 horsepower and 163 foot pounds of torque, complete with vastly improved styling, putting it directly head-to-head with Ducati’s XDiavel and Yamaha’s VMax. There’s as much ‘sport’ as ‘cruiser’ in the Rocket 3, with top-spec Showa suspension and Brembo brakes as well as advanced electronics.
Engine
Inline three cylinder
Power
165 horsepower
Torque
163 foot pounds
Weight
641 pounds

Triumph Bonneville Bobber
2017 - today
Red 2021 Triumph Bonneville Bobber on the kickstandTriumph Motorcycles
Is a bobber a cruiser in the strictest sense of the word? Perhaps, as in the case of the Triumph Bonneville Bobber, it doesn’t really matter, especially when it looks as good as this and goes this well. Triumph took the standard Bonneville and bolted on a seemingly rigid rear end, which was actually more like Harley’s Softail design, featuring a horizontally-mounted monoshock under the single, cantilevered seat. Simple and tasteful, the Bonneville Bobber is a mixture of traditional nostalgia and modern efficiency, the Triumph 1200cc parallel twin engine being the perfect power unit, with bags of torque and smooth horsepower. Not great for long distance rides, due to comfort issues but if looking cool matters, few bikes do it as well as the Bonneville Bobber.
Engine
Parallel Twin
Power
76 horsepower
Torque
78 foot pounds
Weight
553 pounds

BMW R 18
2020 - today
BMW has shown in recent years that it is not afraid to apply its knowledge to completely new categories of motorcycle, models that tip their hat to the heritage of the company in terms of style, while being as up to date as their boxer engine will allow. If anything, the 1,802cc boxer engine is a much more natural fit in the long and low R 18 as it is in any of its other products, providing a strong visual element, while the styling of the rest of the bike harks back to BMW’s very first models in the 1920s. The engine produces a lazy 90 horsepower and 117 foot pounds of torque which propel the 761 pound weight along nicely. BMW intends the R18 to be a blank canvas for customizing, whether using the BMW parts catalog or encouraging custom builders to re-imagine it, almost always with brilliant results. Variants have appeared - Bagger and Transcontinental - but the original is the purest and the best.
Engine
Boxer twin
Power
90 horsepower
Torque
117 foot pounds
Weight
761 pounds

https://www.topspeed.com/best-metric-cr ... n#bmw-r-18
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: 10 Best Metric Cruisers Ever Made

Post by hillsy v2 »

How is Triumph "metric" ?

Again - not shooting the messenger.

And the R18 has been quite widely acclaimed as a flop so I don't know how that came in at number one?

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:44 pm
I’m guessing it’s because Triumph uses metric nuts and bolts. :dunno: Unless they’re still using Whitworth, I guess they’d be considered “metric”. I don’t know.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

MattSunn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:07 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
I’m guessing it’s because Triumph uses metric nuts and bolts. :dunno: Unless they’re still using Whitworth, I guess they’d be considered “metric”. I don’t know.
Yeah I guess so - Triumph (I believe) went to metric fasteners, etc in the early 70's. Just seems like an odd category to put them in - when I think of metric bikes I just think of Jap bikes.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

MattSunn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:07 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
If the Triumph isn't "metric" then neither are the BMW, Ducati or the Honda that is made in the USA. From what I have seen and heard Triumph has been using metric for a number of years.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.