VA

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

VA

Post by Tbeck »

As some of you may know, I am a huge advocate of the VA healthcare system. With that said I am becoming concerned about the ever growing "expansion" of those who VA is offering services to.
Don't get me wrong if a former member of the armed forces has service connected injuries/conditions, the VA system was created for this and they should treat these veterans.
However this new VA director appointed by Biden has been expanding healthcare to anyone who ever served and it's breaking the system. VA has limited resources, personnel and medical professionals. They've historically operated far below what Congress approves budget wise, and the extra load isn't being funded at the level VA has budgeted for. Just a matter of time before they can't make ends meet financially.
Service's are increasingly being farmed out to civilian hospital's, or members have to travel to distant VA hospitals for treatment because their local VA is overloaded.
Bottom line is there will be ANOTHER battle in the future budget's over what is needed and requested, versus what congress will be willing to allocate based on who is in power. Not good for VA.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: VA

Post by sgtcall »

I use the VA for all my healthcare but since I go to a small clinic it is pretty much just for my primary care then I get refereed to local doctors for actual treatment. Either way the VA covers 100% of my costs and I never get a bill from anyone.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I use the VA for all my helath care needs. There is a small clinic in town that I use for many things but there is a major hospital/clinic in Reno, about 65 miles away. The only thing they have ever farmed me out for was an alergy clinic and I never recieved a bill. On top of that every time I have to travel to Reno or to the alergy clinic the VA pays for my travel.

I had a friend in San Diego that was drafted and spent 13 months in Vietnam and a total of 2 years in the service. He had a heart condition. The VA treated him and he was charged a fee that was figured on his income. They did a great job and did a bypass. He never said what it cost him, but, I know damn well that it was less than full cost because he paid the bill in less than 2 years.

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that the demented pervert's admin is authorizing the VA to treat the illegals.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Sgt and Herb, yes the VA uses what they call "care in the community" for most medical conditions that VA isn't able to provide services for. Heck they even cover chiropractic services through CIC. No doubt VA provides excellent medical treatment and that's my point. However they aren't equipped to deal with the growing expansion of eligible people.
Sgt, yep they cover 100% for me as well. I'm what they categorize as a priority 1 veteran. If I call in for an appointment I am in within a day if not the same day. I have some friends who aren't priority one but they still get seen usually within a week or two, UNLESS it's an urgent situation in which they get right in.
I know that folks with low medical rating's do pay a co-pay so to speak on prescriptions and such, there's a chart that show's all that information based on rating level.
I didn't use VA for about a decade after retiring. I had other healthcare insurance and I figured there were folk's who NEEDED to go to VA and didn't have an alternative avenue for healthcare. Me not using the service's freed up personnel and appointment slots for those folks. The past few years VA is my healthcare.

Herb, I don't believe that illegals can receive healthcare or treatment at any VA facility. While they have expanded coverage for veterans who weren't previously eligible, it's still strictly veterans. If you are seeing something different you should definitely report that to your congressman, both state and federal because that's a no no.

My big concern is that the expansion of eligibility without the appropriate funding and manning is going to overwhelm the system and that would definitely be a shame.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resou ... bility.asp

Basic Eligibility for VA Health Care
If you served in the active military, naval or air service and were separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health care benefits. Current and former members of the Reserves or National Guard who were called to active duty (other than for training only) by a Federal Order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty, may also be eligible for VA health care.

Minimum Duty Requirements
Most Veterans who enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981, must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which they were called to active duty to be eligible. This minimum duty requirement may not apply to Veterans who were discharged for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, were discharged for a hardship, or received an “early out.” Since there are many other exceptions to the minimum duty requirements, VA encourages all Veterans to apply to determine their enrollment eligibility.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

T, the Biden cartel has been talking about deploying VA doctors and nurses to the boarder and to cities with large groups of illegal aliens for a few months now. So the VA may not be directly treating illegals yet but I am sure it is coming. ICE does use the VA settlement office to pay for healthcare for anyone detained by ICE but apparently this has been going on since 2002. This is basically the same people that pay the doctors when we get referred to a provider outside the VA.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Sgt, wasn't aware Biden was trying to do that. I'm sure that the republican in Congress will object to it. Just another example where the Biden administration is attempting to utilize the system in ways it wasn't intended. That's the crux if this post even though I wasn't aware they were trying this as well.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I did some looking into the VA docs at the border. Seems it was talked about back in 2022 but nothing came out of the talks to reallocate VA resources to the border.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Herb wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 pm
Not sure this will help the vets.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... house.html
Gotta open up some funds to pay all those new IRS workers.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

VA did a great for me hooking me up with hearing aids.
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Again this is what I was referring to. They open up availability and then make cuts and underfund. Much of what does get approved by Congress goes to non-military/veteran stuff, for example;
I'm sorry but Joe fruit-loop doesn't need the VA providing his gender reassignment drugs and treatment. That's an elective treatment and not militarily related.