Time is winding down

Keep it civil
98VS1400
Site Admin
My Bike: None of your business

Time is winding down

Post by 98VS1400 »

I turned 50 a couple months ago. Hit the 24 year mark too as a deputy sheriff. Tested for lieutenant, came in 4th overall, now just need someone in rank above me to retire (or get fired) to open up a spot. If I don't get promoted from sergeant to lieutenant, then I'll retire in 14 months as I've planned all along. Always said, 25 years and out. It won't be a huge pension but enough to live on comfortably. The Florida Retirement system pays you 70% of your highest 5 years averaged so I'd be looking at probably in the neighborhood of $70k a year. I can make that work. Getting promoted actually won't help much, could even hurt. As a sergeant, I can collect overtime pay and I receive 12 holidays a year. Lieutenants can get neither of those since they're salaried. Recent changes in law - thank you to Governor Ron Desantis - means I can now work up to 33 years and then do another 8 years in a deferred compensation program. Not too sure I'd ever do that! The additional 8 year option is available to anyone with 25 years in the system, or anyone in my profession who has reached 52 years of age. Still, I don't think I can do more than 25 years although at times, I tell myself 12 additional months won't be too hard.

Why am I telling you all this? I dunno. I've stayed away from this forum due to the antics of one particular asshole who threatened my career a few years back. But since that career is nearly complete, I'm thinking of coming back here more often. Part of me has missed the forum. Another part of me nearly forgot all about it. Yet, I'm still here and I still own a VS1400. In fact, just the other day I fired it up. Hadn't run in probably the better part of a year but not a hiccup. Great bike.

So that's that. I'm gonna check out now. I'll be around but only sparingly due to the fact the aforementioned asshole still frequents this site. Hard to believe I actually once thought quite highly of him and seriously debated making a trip halfway around the world to meet him. Guess that goes to show everyone has moments of stupidity in their lives.

:dunno:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Time is winding down

Post by Tbeck »

Glad to see you post. Asshats drive away too many good people.

As to the retirement? Can't help you there bud. I retired last June but I wasn't exactly ready. Between health issues and the stupid crap making it's way into the school environment, I had to get out. You read about and see all the crazy policies about gender, bullying, etc....but until you have to work in an environment that is impacted greatly by that BS you really don't get it.
Anyhow my thoughts are if you are healthy, still enjoy doing the job, and don't really have a reason to retire, stick with it. The nice thing about where you currently are is that you'll be in a position of calling it quits whenever you decide. That's where I was at. I didn't NEED to go to work anymore and could call it quits when I decided it was time. 50's is still plenty young so there are pros and cons of retirement in your 50's but you gotta make the call. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will be happy with the decision.
Again good to see you post :ShitGrinandThumb:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Sounds like early retirement is writing it's own story for you :cheers:

All the best - hope it all works out.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

98VS1400 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:30 pm

:dunno:
Congratulations on the pending promotion or retirement. I can only tell you that when I retired from the Army, at 48 years old, I didn't know if it was a good decision. I can tell you now, at 54 years old, it was the best decision. Take your $70k a year and find a new passion. Between retirement pay, disability and my job I earn 3 times what I did in the Army (including the benefit offset) working less hours, and with way less stress. Do you have any skills outside law enforcement? I just picked up a Safety Inspector job for the Army but it could also be an OSHA job. You only need some certifications that you can get online and the job is pretty chill. I'm sure that with your current skill set an armed security position may pay well. Or get a job selling bait at the docks, what ever makes you happy.

Overall I would get out while you can.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

98VS1400
Site Admin

Post by 98VS1400 »

Hey guys, thanks for the comments! I didn’t know the email notifications for threads was still active! Tim, I do know about the teaching problems. My wife left her analyst job with my agency to chase her dream of teaching algebra. That dream realization lasted exactly 8 months. She hated every minute of it and went back to law enforcement support work. Her pay is less than it ever was but she’s happy and this new gig lets her work from home. As for my dealings with school BS, I see plenty. Weirdly, we cops get roped into quite a bit of school drama. Another reason I’m ready to hang it up.

As for life in retirement, I’ve got plenty planned. I have a full garage equipped with anything needed to do just about anything, and about enough skills to do half of it! But more so, I want to just relax and live life. Over the past couple years, I lost both of my parents. My mom was 64 and my dad was a couple months shy of 66. While my health isn’t as bad as theirs was, my profession has likely taken an unseen toll on me. If I only get 15 more years, I certainly don’t wanna spend another 8+ years doing police work.

No, I’m thinking of firstly taking the ride from Florida to Alaska. Also really would like to do the PCH. I’ll have some time to do those trips as my wife will still have at least 5 years to go after I retire since civilians in the Florida retirement system have to do 30 years.

I’ll be busy for sure. We still have this 120 year old house we live in and it’s showing at least 150 years of age. I have hobbies to finally enjoy like photography and shooting. I also bought a new Chevy Silverado 2500 last year and the Duramax diesel is aching to tow a camper to parts unknown! I’m thinking toy hauler?

Recently bought a couple .22LR rifles, a Henry lever action and a Ruger 10/22. Man, they’re more fun than watching a drunk person try to do the one leg stand. But the best part? I finally picked up a Beretta 92FS after wanting one since I was 13 and seeing Martin Riggs shoot at a helicopter in Lethal Weapon!!! It’s a dated and heavy gun but it’s more fun to shoot it than any Glock or Sig I’ve been issued the past two decades. And I love my Glocks, so it’s saying something that I like the Beretta more.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Keith, retirement is not all it's cracked up to be.

It"s SOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. :Cool:
Best of luck any way you go.

98VS1400
Site Admin

Post by 98VS1400 »

navigator wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:07 pm

I’m coming back to lower NY to get another flat tire, free towing, room and board! :rock:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Good to see you posting more here!

As Navigator said,...retirement is GREAT. And that you are at the age you are, will make it even better! So much time to do as you wish.

One of my Riding Buddy's took a summer to ride from the most east and most west parts of America. That matches your Ride of Florida and Alaska. He camped all the way and loved it. When you do, post your Adventure for us all to join in the fun.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Lechy, give it a rest and move on.

Keith sounds like you got a plan :ShitGrinandThumb:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

98VS1400 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:57 pm
navigator wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:07 pm

I’m coming back to lower NY to get another flat tire, free towing, room and board! :rock:
Any time my friend. :cheers:

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

Good to see you back.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together..

Best Wishes on whatever path you decide on! :ShitGrinandThumb:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"