Keep it civil
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

The last remaining sailor from the USS Arizona just passed

Post by Designer »

USS Arizona Sailor Louis Conter Dies At 102
Remembrance Ceremony Held To Mark 73rd Anniversary Of Attack On Pearl Harbor

The last remaining sailor from the USS Arizona, a battleship that was sunk during the Pearl Harbor attack in 1941, died at the age of 102.

Louis Conter “peacefully” died in his Californian home Monday “surrounded by family”, said Louann Daley, the aged veteran’s daughter, according to a Facebook post by Pacific Historic Parks – USS Arizona Memorial. (RELATED: One Of Pearl Harbor’s Last Remaining Survivors Dies At The Age Of 102)

Conter was among the 1177 sailors of the USS Arizona on that day of infamy in 1941, serving as quartermaster. Only 335 survived the surprise Japanese attack.

Conter gave an oral history interview of his time in the service, including his personal account of the Pearl Harbor attack, to the Library of Congress back in 2008. He recalled that one explosion by a Japanese bomb lifted the doomed battleship 30- to 40-feet out of the water and that much of the ship was on fire.

“Guys were running out of the fire and trying to jump over the sides,” Conter recalled. “Oil all over the sea was burning.”

Conter’s military service did not end with Pearl Harbor. The navy-man became a VP-11 Black Cat pilot and survived a couple of shoot downs in World War II, the USS Arizona Memorial Facebook post reads. Conter later served in the Korean War as an intelligence officer, was the founder of the first SERE program (survival, evasion, resistance and escape) in the NAVY and a military adviser to President Dwight Eisenhower, John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson.

“They call a lot of us heroes, and I’ve always said we are not the heroes,” Conter told KCRA 3 in an interview back in 2023. “Heroes are the ones right there that day that lost their lives. They gave everything up. We got back to the States. We got married. We had kids and grandkids. We are still here. They were lost forever right then and there.”

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: The last remaining sailor from the USS Arizona just passed

Post by Tbeck »

It's really a rather sad story, wars. Many lose their lives and many survivors live the rest of their lives with the knowledge that they didn't. It's a strange thing to feel regret for having survived.
There's no rhyme or reason for who lives and who doesn't, but many of those who do live on seem to live exceptional lives as if to somehow pay for the sacrifice of the other's.
I can't even imagine what the soldiers and sailors at Pearl experienced that day. War is indeed a sad story.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Hundreds of actual accounts given by the survivors of that fateful day.

And thus, the history of a two-ocean war began.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Back in 94 there was a Pearl Harbor survivor that died and he had expressed a desire to be buried in his blues. He had the jacket and pants but none of his ribbons or badges. Since I knew him from the VFW I volonteered to set up the uniform. There is a huge difference in the WWII uniform and the current one. I had to call HQMC to get the information and replacement ribbons and badges. They were really great about getting the information and equipment to me so that I had it done the day before the funeral.

While it was a PITA, I was glad to do it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.