Tornadoes in our Area this AM

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Tornadoes in our Area this AM

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

We had a few tornadoes pass through our fair city this morning right before sunrise.
several areas were hit with roof top blown away and according to sources no one was seriously injure.
It's that time of year for us...at least with hurricanes we have advanced warnings but with these devils they come out of strong thunder showers and high winds.. My home was unaffected but not more than a few blocks away some serious damage was done to an entire neighborhood.
Dodged another bullet
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Tornadoes in our Area this AM

Post by hillsy v2 »

Stay safe SJ :bow:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Glad it missed you SJ. Those things pop up incredibly quick and we get our fair share unfortunately. The only good is they normally have a path and as long as you aren't in that path, all's good.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

According to the local news outlets we had multiple tornadoes hit our fair city as 18,000+ households were without power for most of yesterday morning, including our neighborhood. Damages were reported wide spread with severe damages in several locations throughout the city..
Roofs were dislodged and debris scattered everywhere including a section of one street closed to traffic.
Best thing is no lives were lost, God is good.
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

3 tornadoes confirmed in SWLA; power outages remain after severe storms

LAKE CHARLES, La. (KPLC) - Three tornadoes have been confirmed after this morning’s severe weather as high water and power outages remain throughout Southwest Louisiana.
The National Weather Service confirmed an EF-2 tornado with winds up to 115 mph touched down near McNeese State University in Lake Charles.
It touched down near Vernon Road and crossed Common, Center, Harvard and Kirkman streets, according to NWS. The tornado damaged the roofing of the Moss Memorial Health Complex and continued across Louisiana Avenue, destroying the roofs of several homes along Elton Court.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, they can pop up just about anyplace in my neck of the woods BUT for the most part, or rather the most frequent hit area is in the Allegheny national forest where my camp is. We seem to get at least one every year now but they were very rare when I was younger . In fact I only ever recall one when I was growing up.
Last year we had one and it destroyed a number of camps around ours, but didn't do any damage to ours. We did have some very large trees snapped in two or uprooted but other than the clean up we got off easy.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:44 pm
Stay safe SJ :bow:
With these she devils there is nowhere to run. My Sweet Wife and I have a place to shelter in our home, small closet in the middle of our home.

In the 60's we lived in a two story complex and a tornado passed right overhead, a really bad one but we were spared the misfortune.
It had a flat roof and the morning afterwards we climbed on top of the apartment to find that all the gravel and all the roof jacks had been torn off and none were in sight. It sounded like two freight trains passing right alongside our place. We knew things were going south when our Welsh Sheepdog jumped in our bed and was trembling looking for some cover...Several seconds later it passed overhead.

Over the years we've had at least a dozen or so hit our city, some doing terrible damages while others not so much but to tell you the truth more damages are done with severe flooding in our area. We're flat land country, 40 miles south as the crow flies from the Gulf of Mexico and when we are hit with those severe thunderboomers accompanied by copious amounts of the wet stuff there is nowhere for the run off.
In May of 1980 we recieved 23 inches in a 24 hour period, Yep I said that right. Every street had water over it and the low spots had 5 to 6 feet of water. In one area I seen a 21 foot watercraft with a 150 outboard motor pass right down the middle of the Boulevard picking up residents who had no chance to evacuate. The heavier rain had started about 1am in the morning and by 7am they were stuck.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

It's now being reported that our area had 6 known tornadoes pass through Wednesday morning..Thank the Good Lord no one was injured.
tons of property losses but no deaths.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

That's always a good thing when nobody gets hurt. Property can be rebuilt or replaced.
6 of them, must have been a pretty good cell. We're getting the rain from it.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Tbeck wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:24 am
That's always a good thing when nobody gets hurt. Property can be rebuilt or replaced.
6 of them, must have been a pretty good cell. We're getting the rain from it.

It's mainly strong cold fronts that cause havoc with the threats of tornadoes...in our case situated near a huge water source ( Gulf of Mexico )
strong southerly winds in excess of 35 to 40 mph winds start several days in advance of the cold front.
these winds are loaded with moisture and when the front approaches those southerly winds ride up and over the cold front and that's when things go south.

Those cold fronts never hit us directly from the north but pass at a 45 degree angle heading northeast.. that way we might have some strong thunder boomers for hours on end.. flooding and high winds always accompany these fronts, some more than others but usually at least an inch or so of rain will fall in abut 2 to 3 hours. The last episode with the tornado activity, my rain gauge read 2 1/4 inches in which the front went on for four hours time.
On average our yearly rainfall total is 57 to 60 inches, Some years like 1980 it was much higher as expected with 65 inches..
Highest rainfall total was in 2002 when 85 inches fell...

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I guess we and parts of Ohio are currently on a tornado warning again.