Cleaning out

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Cleaning out

Post by Tbeck »

I've been in the process of cleaning out all the accumulated junk from living in the house for the past 28 year's. So far I've cleared out about 25 construction grade garbage bags full of stuff.
Some has been old clothing, book's, and outdated electronics. A good bit of it was old college books from me, my wife, and daughter. I would have boxed them up to donate but the stuff is so far out of date that it's not worth anything.
After cleaning out one room, I painted, installed carpeting and completely replaced all the wood trim. Turned that room into a sitting room with tv, stereo, gaming,and computer. My wife's favorite new room, lol.
I previously redid the room across the hallway with new solid wood flooring, area rug, guitar workbench, and a dozen or so guitar hangers. That room is being used as my guitar room at present.
I'm working now on the spare room upstairs. I've installed a gun safe, and I need to replace some carpet and wood trim before I move all my guitar stuff upstairs. That room will become my guitar and gun room. The room where the guitars are currently at will then be converted to a guest room.
It's truly amazing how much junk gets accumulate with 2 kid's over the course of 30 years. But once I get the aforementioned done I will have to turn my attention to the attic storage area and then the basement. I'm guessing they'll be another 25 bag's of garbage to be packed up in those as well. But I am getting closer to cleaning out the junk.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Cleaning out

Post by hillsy v2 »

When you said "guitar and gun" room I immediately though of the Nuge....

:rock:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

hillsy, interesting, lol.... My youngest brother is a master on guitar, I just tinker, but I mostly enjoy working on them.
It's funny because my younger brother is 10 year's younger. So when I went in the military and came home on my first leave he asked if he could use my guitar and amp I had left at the house. I told him he could have them. By the next time I came home 2 year's later he and a couple buddies were playing in a little garage band. He reads a little music but he's able to just listen to a song and play it perfectly within a couple minute's. He does a little recording where he does all the recording mixing etc himself these days, gave up on the club gigs.
Same thing with my gun's. Really enjoy working on them more than anything else these days.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

I hear you on enjoying working on them mostly. I'm a bit like that with bikes as well - was tinkering on them before I could ride and have always enjoyed working on them just as much (if not more at times) than riding.

My son is turning into a bit of a freak on the guitar now - my wife is a piano teacher so the boy started learning that from before he could read (in fact he could read music before he could read English). He got as far as AMUS standard on piano - then the guitar bug bit him and he took all that piano theory knowledge with him. He knew how to play a guitar even before he picked it up. Having perfect pitch helped as well.

Enjoy your tinkering :cheers:

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

I need to do the same thing, T. I'm considering renting a dumpster and just start tossing...but I keep putting it off.
-DBTO

azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Post by azazelakira »

Been a truck driver having 2 of some things is frustraiting when you come home and now need to get rid of said things. I guess is part of life.
More RPMs please :putput:

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

MadCow wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:58 am
I need to do the same thing, T. I'm considering renting a dumpster and just start tossing...but I keep putting it off.
I did just that last fall. Hard to do, but no regrets now. Don't miss what I no longer have.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Don't get me started :lmao:
When my Sweet Wife and I married we were living in her apartment and it didn't have any storage space to speak of, later on we bought our present home and with all the extra closet and cabinet space we had tons of space left over..
27 years later we've filled up all those empty spaces and added two outside 12 x 12 storage buildings and they are all full to the brim. :cheers: :blink:
I use one of the buildings for my small shop where I keep all my tools and do most of my bird house builds. The other one that's another story in itself..
If you want to find someting you can bet your bottom dollar it's in the back and covered up with something we don't need.
The ole axiom of the only time you need anything is when you've thrown it away two weeks ago is true in our husehold.!
And I have to admit I am a hoarder and My better half is not, :clap:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

For 30 years I kept paring down stuff to keep the weight down for moves. Now that I am not moving again I refuse to give up stuff that I now have.

I can't count the number of times I got rid of something and then had to buy it at the new duty station. Fuck that shit.

My son was visiting and looking at my "junk", he said I need to clean house. I ask why, he said what is going to happen if you get where you can't use it, end up in a rest home or die? I said "then it is your fucking problem."...

I have stuff that I only use once a year, or less, but when I do need it, it is really handy to have around.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

MC I did consider a dumpster but I kept putting it off so I just started bagging. Not too much left now but I may get a small dumpster for the basement clean out.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I just put stuff on the curb and it disappears.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

navigator wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:50 pm
I just put stuff on the curb and it disappears.
Wish I could do that, I live way out in the sticks and near the end on a dead end road. Only traffic here is usually UPS/FEDEX/MaIL lady etc...or an Amish buggy (im surrounded by Amish farms).
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Nav, I do that as well. If it's something that is in good shape that I think someone will want I set it out by the curb. Usually gone within 30 minutes :ShitGrinandThumb: