How many miles/kilometers?

Keep it civil
-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: RT SM6 + XL1200C

Re: How many miles/kilometers?

Post by -DC- »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
-DC- wrote:Glad ya posted this here and FB Keith, reminded me to reset both my "B" tripmeters so I can keep track easier...I will just make myself a note on oil changes and go from there....It'll be a lot easier to keep track that way..I already have 52 miles to just add on the back already for Bumble Bee....

I am anticipating about 13,000 miles on Bumble Bee and about 5000 miles on Optimus.....just holding faith I can make my big trip in June/July..... [emoji106]

Where ya headed on your big trip Duane??

One of my 4 corners bucket list trips, one I have been planning/hoping for since the 2012 trip out west..

Thru the ozarks, friends in Kansas, a ride thru nebraska, thru the rockies, Wyoming, Yosimite, Crater Lake, Lake Tahoe, hit the west coast around San Fran then go north on 1/101/other coastal roads thru avenue of the Giants all the way to Washington State's fishing villages, then zigzag thru the Cascades before meandering east and seeing Montana, Mt Rushmore and Sturgis, headwaters of the MS river, Michigan's upper peninsula, turning south and visiting some places in Indiana, Kentucky breweries, then down thru Tenn and home...last stop will be the Jack Daniels brewery ...a lot of stuff in between...Hopefully! Keepin my fingers crossed! [emoji106]
Being a grandpa is the bees knees.... :putput:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I'd like to go to Ontario for a couple days this year...that ought to be good for 1500 miles or so. But I reckon it's those never ending local trips I take all year that really add up.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

98VS1400 wrote:
RoadKing wrote:Is this a setup? In the 70's I spent a good amount of time showing log books to cops while running interstate. I vowed never again so ya might as well fergetit! :eek:
No setup, just good ol' fashioned fun. Emu started a thread back a while ago on IA about how many miles people ran in 2015. That's kinda what started this thought in my head because you know how those guys like to bust chops over mileage. I figured if we posted pictures of our odometers on the first and last day of the year, then most of the inflated claims could be eliminated.
Yeah, they got a thing, too, about showing pics of their tires for proof of chicken strips or some such tripe as proof of you're riding your motorcycle properly… what a crock o doodoo.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

98VS1400 wrote:
RoadKing wrote:
98VS1400 wrote:
RoadKing wrote:Is this a setup? In the 70's I spent a good amount of time showing log books to cops while running interstate. I vowed never again so ya might as well fergetit! :eek:
No setup, just good ol' fashioned fun. Emu started a thread back a while ago on IA about how many miles people ran in 2015. That's kinda what started this thought in my head because you know how those guys like to bust chops over mileage. I figured if we posted pictures of our odometers on the first and last day of the year, then most of the inflated claims could be eliminated.
Yeah, they got a thing, too, about showing pics of their tires for proof of chicken strips or some such tripe as proof of you're riding your motorcycle properly… what a crock o doodoo.
That's a whole different kettle of fish! Or, chicken, as it were. Leaning over until your rim scrapes pavement never really seemed that important to me. I have just as much fun if the middle of my tire is flat!

You don't have twisted roads in FL..kinda hard to wear down your sidewalls there!
-DBTO

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Myth but not very many cruves [emoji2] .Ky.,Tenn.,NC,WV,and Virgina really hard beat for nice can not see around and nice to look at as you slow down looks.B.R.Parkway and Skyline drive one of the best rides anywhere IMO. Alaska and Colorado were great on motorcycles but will take our lower and not ugly dead line on top high places anytime.Allso not as cold up high so camping is better :cheers: .

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The long sweepers were more fun on my sport bikes.The tight stuff was were the big singles were a blast.Sure if we could ride as good as 2Tall any thing would be fun anywhere.Just from some of the pics and tales from others that guy must be something and big enough to carry most his bikes! [emoji2]

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

98VS1400 wrote: Of course, being able to ride 12 months a year with an average temp of 79.5 F trumps mountain twisties! [emoji2]
Man, you got that right, fersure! First swung my leg over a saddle in Florida and loved that climate and the long straight roads out across The Glades. I got no problem at all riding in that warm rain, either. As youngsters we had tendencies to defy danger and I craved riding with lightning bolts all around.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Skyline Drive / Blue Ridge Parkway are nice roads...but I've ridden from one end to the other....by the time I get there I'm so done with it. Especially when your on roads that make you want to run 65-75mph for the fun factor...but can't.
-DBTO

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

We usually all speed on parts of it.Never got any of my many tickets on it yet.Saw law more the last few years on the B.R.P. BUT ON THE SLOWER 35mph SkyLine never saw any yet but most of it is so much tighter than Blue Ridge you don't want to.I never tire of it and on it most ever year since way back.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

98VS1400 wrote: You get plenty of warm rain in Florida, no doubt. Best part is that most days, it starts and ends pretty quick. Cools you off a little in the hot months. I need to make a run down to the Keys...
You… need… need… I'll be a sunny beach, me too. What's keeping ya? Damn, I envy you. Dayum.
Signifying nothing”

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

How about an update… How many miles/kilometers so far? Man, I envy you that Florida climate. The last of the ice and snow is slowly melting off here, but I don't know if I want to spend another winter without riding. In a few days will be closing on a really cool colonial house here and have been very busy all winter moving into it. Also, the people around here are very nice and after less than four years I'm finding myself well established with that old small town flavor of people all over calling you by your first name and with a heart warming smile. Makes me want to stay even though I know better. I'm thinking the roads could be fit for riding here in a few weeks but it's going to be a very busy time completing the move into the new house and building fences for the pups. And, at the same time, will be busy preparing for the road, leaving perhaps as soon as May 1st. If the weather is really boss maybe sooner and hope to make it to OMG late May. It's going to be a very busy summer but as soon as the leaves turn colors in October there's a strong possibility I will winter In Panama City and look for property there. Who knows, not me fersure. But I have very clear and happy memories of Florida and I feel it calling. The forested panhandle area has always appealed big time. Wish I could just find a place to settle and stay, but in my whole life I have never stayed in one place more than five years which means my time in Upstate is almost done. At this stage of life it's uncertain that another five years even exist. Maybe I'll just give the houses to my kids and live the balance of my time on the road… got a hunch that's gonna happen.

So, since I last posted on this thread I have often wondered how many miles you are getting, if you have been able to make what is a dream to me, a ride to Key West in the winter. Man, I envy you. I'm homesick for Florida nearly as much as California these days. When I leave here with my pups in May I'm just gonna let the miles take me where they may, the life of a Gypsy. Maybe see ya out there.
Signifying nothing”

-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by -DC- »

I'm not Keith....but.....Since you are asking!!!

Right at 15,000 on the Spyder in just over a year and over 14,000 on the sporty now.....approx 3500 miles since I bought it from Suzuki Johnny's wife....Rode 200+ Today..
.....riding 200+ tomorrow.......

Rode the highway stretch of Gulf coast from Ocean Springs to Bay St Louis as part of the route today.... Lots of 2 piece bikinis out, spring break is right round the corner....water was almost smooth as glass at times today..... Clear and warm...lots of folks dressed up for some sort of renesance weekend or something, might have even spotted Shakespeare among the masses.....Long Beach had a fair going strong and lots of larger yard sale groups setting up near the beach.....traffic was thick but made the best of it......Great day to be alive......

:cheers: :cheers:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

-DC- wrote:I'm not Keith....but.....Since you are asking!!!

Right at 15,000 on the Spyder in just over a year and over 14,000 on the sporty now.....approx 3500 miles since I bought it from Suzuki Johnny's wife....Rode 200+ Today..

Rode the highway stretch of Gulf coast from Ocean Springs to Bay St Louis as part of the route today.... Lots of 2 piece bikinis out, spring break is right round the corner....water was almost smooth as glass at times today..... Clear and warm...lots of folks dressed up for some sort of renesance weekend or something, might have even spotted Shakespeare among the masses.....Long Beach had a fair going strong and lots of larger yard sale groups setting up near the beach.....traffic was thick but made the best of it......Great day to be alive......

Yes, every day alive is great. Also I'm happy for you and all your warm miles and bikinis. But, while happy for you in a sincere manner to be sure, also in a subdued way. Really homesick. My people on the West Coast are riding, too. Just received an email pic of my daughter wearing her new helmet and talking cheerily about the miles she loves. I envy her but what is more I miss her, it's been four years. It's going to be wonderful going home. Going home. Good Lord is willing, there will be thousands of miles this summer so I am just remaining patient. There will be a pack waiting for me in California and it will be cool riding with my daughter and her husband in Oregon. I assume you read the previous post and know that this is going to be a very busy summer and so not likely I'll spend much time here. Maybe I'll see you at OMG? Ride safe.
Signifying nothing”

-DC-
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by -DC- »

RoadKing wrote:
-DC- wrote:I'm not Keith....but.....Since you are asking!!!

Yes, every day alive is great. Also I'm happy for you and all your warm miles and bikinis. But, while happy for you in a sincere manner to be sure, also in a subdued way. Really homesick. My people on the West Coast are riding, too. Just received an email pic of my daughter wearing her new helmet and talking cheerily about the miles she loves. I envy her but what is more I miss her, it's been four years. It's going to be wonderful going home. Going home. Good Lord is willing, there will be thousands of miles this summer so I am just remaining patient. There will be a pack waiting for me in California and it will be cool riding with my daughter and her husband in Oregon. I assume you read the previous post and know that this is going to be a very busy summer and so not likely I'll spend much time here. Maybe I'll see you at OMG? Ride safe.
Yep, read the previous post and been knowing how homesick you are...And wishing you the best for a lot of miles and smiles this summer...along with reuniting with friends and family on the west coast and elsewhere...I have faith, gonna be a top shelf year for ya this year...... [emoji106] :cheers:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Almost 4000 Km this year, lots more to come.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Slowed way down but still my main mean of travel by far.My little 650 Vstrom I use lots more than other two I have lic and ins on.After the little 544 mile week end trip it likes about 150miles having 50,000 and will be four years old next month.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Zero miles since 26Dec15. Rode late into the old year and hope to start early in the new year.
Signifying nothing”

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

I've put 7000 on my Intruder since I got it.....this will be the 3rd summer of riding. My miles are quite down from what I used to get, but the quality of my rides is much improved!

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

RoadKing wrote:Zero miles since 26Dec15. Rode late into the old year and hope to start early in the new year.
I rode until boxing day too. Started up 3 weeks ago but short miles since it gets cold quickly. This weekend should be awesome and I am planning about 200 miles on Saturday so the season is starting early.

On Monday I saw another bike on the road coming towards me. As it got closer and I prepared to low 5 him.... I realized it was my son ;)
Scott

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Hey, to mister and missus Cheap. Enjoy the sunshine.
Signifying nothing”