Mr. Heater Big Buddy indoor propane heaters...

Keep it civil
MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Mr. Heater Big Buddy indoor propane heaters...

Post by MadCow »

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of buying two of them this year...one for backup at the house and another for my RV out on the eastern shore...
-DBTO

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: Mr. Heater Big Buddy indoor propane heaters...

Post by Jolsen »

I don't like the idea of burning anything indoors without proper ventilation. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

I don't have experience with that particular heater, but I see it's a catalytic heater which work very well. If you plan to use it for any length of time, or need to, I'd suggest you get the adapter for a typical 5gal tank and get yourself two tanks.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

I have two, the 18,000 btu one and the 9,000 btu version for my patio. They work great! The 18,000 unit has 3 heat settings, so if I were to only have one that'd be it.

Also I picked up the 40 pound propane tanks and hoses at Menards. The tanks are a little pricey but worth it IMO.

This was from last winter...

_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

JFL Live wrote:I have two, the 18,000 btu one and the 9,000 btu version for my patio. They work great! The 18,000 unit has 3 heat settings, so if I were to only have one that'd be it.

Also I picked up the 40 pound propane tanks and hoses at Menards. The tanks are a little pricey but worth it IMO.

ThaNKS, THAT 18,000 btu is the one I plan on ordering...and am also planning on the bigger tanks....
-DBTO

Larry TN
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 1996 VS1400

Post by Larry TN »

JFL Live wrote:I have two, the 18,000 btu one and the 9,000 btu version for my patio. They work great! The 18,000 unit has 3 heat settings, so if I were to only have one that'd be it.

If you are concerned about ventilation, crack open a window near the heater. The main heat source in my house is a 30k wall mounted ventless gas heater. It has an internal circulating fan that hardly ever gets turned on. It worked well last winter. Before that I burned firewood exclusively.
I worked as a chimney sweep for years, installed gas logs, wood stoves, stainless steel liners, etc. Even cleaned a few fireplaces. A bit of friendly advice.
You might want to touch base with your insurance company about having any tank inside and within a specific number of feet from that type of open flame heater. In some states, you cannot have tanks inside, and if an insurance investigator found them after a fire, or the fire department did, whether they were at fault or not, you might have no insurance.
"Give the people you have offended time to apologize." -Rev Samuel Porter Jones (in 1906)

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

That's actually my patio. Plenty of ventilation. I don't use the heaters in the house.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

As I understand it, these Buddy heaters are safe for indoor use.
-DBTO

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Anything that burns requires oxygen and puts out some sort of by product. Just saying a monoxide detector and a cracked window would ease my mind some.

On a side note leave it to JFL to try to melt all the snow in Iowa so he can ride sooner

Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

cheapcookies wrote:
JFL Live wrote:I have two, the 18,000 btu
May I hijack this thread? Love your signature, clicked on it and enjoyed. Knew I had heard those words but couldn't quite connect them until then.

-cc

That's my favorite Beatles song! :thumbup:
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Jolsen wrote:
On a side note leave it to JFL to try to melt all the snow in Iowa so he can ride sooner

One Duraflame log will clear the snow in a 2 block radius! :big grin:
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

Larry TN
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 1996 VS1400

Post by Larry TN »

JFL Live wrote:That's actually my patio. Plenty of ventilation. I don't use the heaters in the house.
My post was more about insurance, the heaters are ventless. The post was for anyone thinking about putting tanks inside their house. We don't have patios much here in the rural south, at least not with tile and indoor furniture and an outside dehumidifier(?) and Chritsmas lights, we just have porches and an occassional veranda. We heard a rumor about indoor plumbing, but the radio said it's gossip.
"Give the people you have offended time to apologize." -Rev Samuel Porter Jones (in 1906)

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Larry TN wrote:
JFL Live wrote:That's actually my patio. Plenty of ventilation. I don't use the heaters in the house.
My post was more about insurance, the heaters are ventless. The post was for anyone thinking about putting tanks inside their house. We don't have patios much here in the rural south, at least not with tile and indoor furniture and an outside dehumidifier(?) and Chritsmas lights, we just have porches and an occassional veranda. We heard a rumor about indoor plumbing, but the radio said it's gossip.
And from what I have seen on my trips on the bike the radio is correct. :lolfall:

I have one of the heaters where the 20# bottle fits inside the back of the cabinet and it gets rid of the cold. The manufacturer suggest that it be used in a work area and not in a house. But I put it in the house with a window open just a little to let in fresh air. :cheers:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I have a catalytic heater in my home, which is actually a 240 sqft cottage. I don't know how many BTUs it is, but it'll heat the place from stone cold to sweating temps in the middle of winter in about 45 minutes. I do have to leave a window open about 3 inches though, or else it'll shut off sometime during the night and won't come back on again on it's own. Stone cold dead of winter here is around 30*, your results will vary.

Yo-

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Yo you part of the tiny house movement?

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Being that I'm not married and have no current g/f or pets anymore, the size suits me personally, just fine. Aside from the fact that rent in the area is generally in the $1200/mo (considered, cheap) and more typically starting in the $1500/mo arena, I feel that I'm getting off REALLY easy for a mere $625 + electric. I do have to pay for LPG on my own account as an additional expense and my landlord insists on a $1,000,000 rider on my renters insurance that names him as an addition to the policy. Fukin' guy. But, it's okay though as it really only costs about $250/yr for that.

Yo-

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Maybe you should look up tiny house and build your own

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Yo don't need no house. He needs a pick up and a toy hauler lol

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Problem is, I'm basically stuck here. This is the place my knowledge of electronics and such provide me with work. I've been to New Jersey, Washington state (twice) and even Nebraska. In those times, finding work suitable for my knowledge was clearly impossible. I have always found work in this area, at least some place I could fit in and do something.

The second time I was in WA, the only job that would take me was the local cab co. I managed to survive there for 6 year driving cab 5 nights a week (6pm to 6am) and I managed to make it, but it wasn't a life by any means, just existence. During that time for the first year, I had an apartment. That cost too much and I had to leave. I bought a 21 foot class-c motor home and made due with that. It was rough but the park I had my rig located, was really nice. Life really sucked in the winter months though. Trying to keep your furnace lit was a chore in itself. If your LP tanks aren't warm enough, you don't get any gas from them and your furnace or anything else gas powered won't run. Your water and sewer pipes freeze up and will cause serious problems if that happens. You can't imagine all the problems you have to deal with if you live in an RV under those conditions. That was just some of trying to survive in an RV while living there.

Work, oh yeah. Driving cab was another whole story all in itself. 12 hour shifts suck ass. There were periods during the year that work was so intense, it was completely non-stop driving and I had to haul ass everywhere. WA state is pretty strict on speed limits too, so that didn't help. I did get a few breaks from some of the cops that pulled me over for speeding, but there are always some that are asshats that just want that ticket quota and you get one, no matter what, if they pull you over. Driving taxi is a very stressful job when it's real busy too. I truly don't know how I made it through those times, but in looking back, there was a lot of good times there as well. BBQs and LOTS of beer drinking on the weekends was a true pleasure to say the least.

Anyway....'nough of that. Carry on!

Yo-

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

try 20 hour shifts :bang: