Scooter dudes

Keep it civil
Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Scooter dudes

Post by Xafius »

I was riding along the river today and passed a dude on a little scooter. He threw me a sign but I didn't wave back and he got all pissed and actually turned around and followed me to a gas station. He then proceeded to tell me scooter dudes are bikers to and deserve to be waved at.
I told him I didn't really care and got my gas and left with him still hollering.

Do you guys salute scooter dudes?

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Re: Scooter dudes

Post by RoadKing »

Lots of really cool Amish people in Upstate. Riding around in their horse drawn buggies. They wave at me a lot and I always wave back. Screw the scooter dudes as well as the bikers… just a bunch of insecure people who need recognition. Besides, I don't even know them so how come they gotta be waving at me? However, I am honorary Amish so they all know me. I don't wave at car drivers, either, but that doesn't make me a bad person. I really love my dogs but never wave at them either. But, I tell ya, when pretty girls wave, and it happens often, I wave back real cool like and never take my eye off the road. It's just a normal day.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Xafius »

Well said brother, well said.
Gotta wave at the girls for sure. :naughty:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Xafius wrote:Well said brother, well said.
Gotta wave at the girls for sure. :naughty:
Yep. When I was a young boy, an older guy encouraged me to get a bike and said the best reason for getting one is that the poonie really like bikes! He was right! :big grin:
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Xafius »

You have a good point there brother.
I guess I kinda got a big head about it. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.

Dylby1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Dylby1 »

Over here in Australia the wave is still common practice, but it does tend to stick to type a bit.

Cruiser riders wave to cruiser riders
Sports wave to sports
And so on.

I always wave to everyone riding, if they don't wave back who cares? Move on and enjoy your ride.
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

I usually give the low wave when passing by another bike - either I initiate it or I'll certainly acknowledge him or her if they initiate it. It's a brotherhood, we all should (when safe like 98 mentioned). I don't care if it's a cruiser, sportbike, trike, whatever. Honestly, I don't think most scooter riders really expect it but I have no problem with acknowledging them either.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Let's put it this way... if it has wheels, how many doesn't matter, waves at me it gets a wave back. I may be late with my wave but they get one. :cheers:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

To me, it's a "Brotherhood" of riders, as already stated. I wave, sometimes they don't wave back. It doesn't upset me if they don't. I do like the acknowledgements when they come back to me. It makes me smile to get that back. If I'm in a curve at the time, forget it, oh well, I ain't taking my hands off the bars to wave back, sorry about that. I think most people understand that, though they me be more brave than I, when going through a curve that's not a long sweeper.

I don't think the, 'scooter' guys, 'get it' when a cruiser guy waves at them, but I think maybe it does tickle them a bit to think they are noticed by others while riding along the road. To me, if you ain't in a cage and not on a bicycle, you're probably, 'riding', something.

The very first thing I ever had control over on two wheels (aside from a bicycle) was a Honda scooter, not the mini bikes, but a scooter. I was about 10 years old at the time and it was glorious!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

This guy has a unique approach to the wave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tBHoq49RU

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Xafius »

Lots of truth brothers.
I appreciate all the wisdom. I'll not give em a hard time next time.
I'm glad you guys are honest. That's exactly what I wanted.
I see that dude all the time on the way to work. I'll throw him a wave. Maybe it'll make his day better.

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Xafius »

tc1400 wrote:This guy has a unique approach to the wave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tBHoq49RU

Damn man that's some funny shit!

:lmao:

I gotta get me one.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

I'd prefer the girlies flash rather than wave. :naughty: For those who missed the multi page debate on IA...

It was started by someone who stated, as a metric rider, he was offended when Harley guys wouldn't wave back. This went on and on and the Harley guys gave him crap about it. For what? We all like to ride for one reason or another. You wave, I wave back. I don't initiate waves, but I'm an antisocial personality type. Screw whether/what you ride, we're all people. Common courtesy above everything else.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Do they still do the wave at sports events?
Signifying nothing”

Dylby1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Dylby1 »

98VS1400 wrote:
Xafius wrote:
It does though, really burn me up when riders pass stranded bikes without so much as slowing down. Safety first of course, but sometimes all that's needed is a phone
I like to stop, but I'm very picky about where I do it these days.

There was a bloke about a year or two ago about 20 minutes from my place, pulled up to help someone who was broken down.
Couple of guys came out of the bushes, pushed him down an embankment and threw acid on him, along with the phrase "we don't like bikers around here"

So I only stop when the view is very clear nowadays.
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

I wave when I can...if I'm busy at the controls, I don't. But if they wave, and I can, I make sure to return the wave...scooters and anything with less than 4 wheels...but I did wave back at some kids who were furiously waving at me from an ATV as I was going by...waved back and I'm sure they got a kick out of it...so did I as they were grinning from ear to ear.
-DBTO

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Post by DMIntruder »

Xafius wrote:I was riding along the river today and passed a dude on a little scooter. He threw me a sign but I didn't wave back and he got all pissed and actually turned around and followed me to a gas station. He then proceeded to tell me scooter dudes are bikers to and deserve to be waved at.
I told him I didn't really care and got my gas and left with him still hollering.

Do you guys salute scooter dudes?
I am quite shocked the guy on the scooter had the balls to follow you to a gas station and then confront you about a damn wave. I think I would have been hard pressed not to put him down for that.

I never intiate a wave to anyone. I am busy riding and waving is not something I think about. If someone waves and I can safely wave back, I will. I refuse to wave at trikes, might was well be in a car as far as I'm concerned.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

ddog6900 wrote:I'd prefer the girlies flash rather than wave. :naughty: For those who missed the multi page debate on IA...

It was started by someone who stated, as a metric rider, he was offended when Harley guys wouldn't wave back. This went on and on and the Harley guys gave him crap about it.
I'd like to find this thread. This attitude seems to be pretty common in these parts. Hard core bikers seldom if ever do (guess I expect that now) and Harley riders in general are iffy. It doesn't bother me, but there certainly seems to be an 'attitude', if you will. I'm getting to the point where, when I pass a Harley, I assume no acknowledgment so I don't bother with them anymore. This is wrong on my part because they're not all that way. Don't mean to contradict myself, but seriously, should brand really matter that much?

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

tc1400 wrote:
ddog6900 wrote:I'd prefer the girlies flash rather than wave. :naughty: For those who missed the multi page debate on IA...

It was started by someone who stated, as a metric rider, he was offended when Harley guys wouldn't wave back. This went on and on and the Harley guys gave him crap about it.
I'd like to find this thread. This attitude seems to be pretty common in these parts. Hard core bikers seldom if ever do (guess I expect that now) and Harley riders in general are iffy. It doesn't bother me, but there certainly seems to be an 'attitude', if you will. I'm getting to the point where, when I pass a Harley, I assume no acknowledgment so I don't bother with them anymore. This is wrong on my part because they're not all that way. Don't mean to contradict myself, but seriously, should brand really matter that much?
I find "uppity" riders in all categories of bikes...scooters, cruisers, sport bikes...it ain't a Harley thing...
-DBTO

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

DMIntruder wrote: I never intiate a wave to anyone. I am busy riding and waving is not something I think about. If someone waves and I can safely wave back, I will. I refuse to wave at trikes, might was well be in a car as far as I'm concerned.
You might change your mind about those trikes when you get as old as I am and your knees don't work like they are suppose to. there are days it takes everything I have just to hold up the 800. Not sure what I will do if I get a bigger bike? :ahha:

I know I'll get a trike. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: