The State of Site

Keep it civil
MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Re: The State of Site

Post by MadCow »

As I understand it, this site is a place for IA refugees if/when the IA site crashes...it wasn't meant to replace IA. It's also a place to safely tuck away the technical knowledge floating on IA in case the unthinkable happens and the site crashes for good. They would rebuild the site, but the data that is lost...ICKY

We should form teams and concentrate on copying textual information and links from IA over to here. Copying it here sort of backs it up.

I host Dr. Bobs Wrenching Tips so at least we know that information is protected. We might even want to add to it. EDIT: His domain "wrenchingtips.com" expired...but I am still hosting the site.
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Important questions for sure. I'd also like to hear what the members have to say thus far.

Can the site become more? Sure!
Should the site become more? Absolutely!

What's the catalyst? Members and participation.
We seem to be lacking more in participation than we are in members. Several have signed up but have either only contributed very little, or for some, nothing at all, yet. This is easy to see if you look at the members list.

Got to get back to work now.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Post by dm1400 »

I'm not looking for this to be IA all over, with just fewer members. I want to see what this can become separate from IA. What will that look like? No idea!

What I do like about forums is the conversation generated on topics. I hope this site will generate a great deal of conversation on our love of motorcycles. Secondary conversations on other topics is fine, & thank you for creating homes for those other topics.

My lack of activity is not due to my lack of interest in this new forum. It is due to some new job responsibilities & it's taking a lot of my time during the week. I am, in fact hopeful this site will grow & become a first rate knowledge base. I look forward to participating as much as I can.

I think for this site to grow & become successful (whatever successful looks like), we need to develop a sense of friendship, or a brotherhood, where we are not out for each other. Rather, we have each others back.

I look forward to riding to different parts of the country & meeting as many members as possible in the years ahead. I would much rather share a meal & a laugh with a brother face-to-face. I am grateful to IA & now to this community, & hopefully I can give back as the opportunity presents itself.

We have a love of riding. We are as different as can be. But in the end, we love to ride. Isn't that enough to cause us to respect each other & treat each other as a brother?

Dude
Site Admin
My Bike: Susuki VS1400

Post by Dude »

Well said David. And that's the kind of attitude I'd like to see here. That of family and brotherhood. Even though we may never meet IRL, doesn't mean bonds between people can't be made and made to last. Sadly though, internet friends often fade away in time. I know this is true because I've lost contact with many nice people over the years. While we're here though, we can certainly make for some of the best of times.

-Dude

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

The general area is a great source of fun, some laughs, life experiences, and a great way of getting to know each other. No, its not a replacement for IA nor was it was ever intended to be. But so far, it's proving to be a fun alternative within a smaller group. I fully expect the number of subscribers to grow immensely in the future. With this, the knowledgebase will continue to grow.

Yes, job responsibilities are now ramping up and will consume much of my free time during the weekdays, as I'm sure with many others on this board. However, I will continue to add input to tech postings where appropriate but for now I tend to limit tech input to areas where I have had actual hands-on experience. Either what I have learned what to do or what not to do. Much of this information can be found on IA, but I understand the need for a backup source of this valuable information. Much of this has been copied over at present, but is still a work in progress.

Despite some minor growing pains, I think we're definitely headed in the right direction and expect good things out of this.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

1. How do you all view the board? Has it been what you expected? More or less?
2. What do you think would make it better?
3. Is this site a replacement for IA, or do you just over here for a change of pace?
Well, I view it as a good board and getting better everyday. So far it has been what I had hoped for. :clap:
Not sure how to make it better, but I have noticed we don't have a ride trip board and PCC has posted her rides with pics all over the place. Of course the board is changing daily and I could have missed a board or two. :bang:
I doubt if it will replace the original IA, but I do hope it gets big enough to where it can stand on it's own two feet and for that to happen sooner rather than later. :clap:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

I think no-one needs to expect anything out of this forum. It's going to be what we make it. Though I wish more folks would come check it out, I'm not hurt they haven't. I think everyone who's butted heads initially, has calmed down. Mutual respect is key. This isn't high school. As long as we all play nice, this will be a great place to hang out.

Sorry about pilfering a Field of Dreams line but, "If you build it, they will come ."

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Just a thought of things....If we were to compare us with the universe, it might look something like this....

The universe is the entire internet.
IA could be considered to be but a single galaxy of the universe of millions and billions.
We are but a newly born star and without planets.
For this site to become a solar system in a galaxy, we too, could call home, would make my dream come true.

Just a fleeting thought,

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Skree
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Skree »

I like it - less bullshit.
pegs down for all who have fallen and passed on

- Kenn

Remember your towel.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Skree wrote:I like it - less bullshit.
That is because it is young and doesn't know what :bs: is yet. :lol: There will be people that join just to see how far they can bend the rules before someone calls them out. It is human nature to see how far you can bend a tree before it breaks. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: