Average VS Intruder Stature

Keep it civil
ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Average VS Intruder Stature

Post by ddog6900 »

Every time I ride my VS, I can't help but think it was designed by/for some Asian midget. :lmao: Even with forward controls, a different seat, different bars and many aesthetic upgrades, it still doesn't feel "big enough". So, a little survey of those who have owned/still own a VS model Intruder.

Height
Inseam
Arm Length
Still own (If no, state why)
Riding now

Once I get, say 10 responses, I'm going to organize the info into a spreadsheet and translate into a line graph then post in this thread. I'm going to try and keep it up to date. I want to see if size plays a role in buying/keeping a VS.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Re: Average VS Intruder Stature

Post by ddog6900 »

Here's mine

Height 6' 2"
Inseam 34"
Arm Length (put to fingertip) 28"
Still own (If no, state why) Yep
Riding now 87 VS700

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Haha...I'm 5'10", don't have any other info to give you. I'm very comfortable with the size of the bike and I don't make it look like I'm riding a minibike like the bigger guys tend to do.

I think you're right though. Probably designed for the typical Asian and the size of the VS probably makes them feel like they're riding a bike that's HUGE :lmao:

Oh yeah, should have added I ride a vs1400.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Post by dm1400 »

I'll be interested to see your results, thanks ddogg! :thumbup:

Height: 6'
Inseam: 34"
Arm length (arm pit to finger tip): 29"
I still own my '95 VS1400

I looked at getting an 800, but after riding the 800, it was too cramped for me. I realized it didn't fit me after riding less than a mile on it.

The 1400, as the saying goes, fits me like a glove.

I hope you get results back on both 800's & 1400's.

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

Mine...

Height 5'8"
Inseam 30"
Arm length unknown (average for my size)

Still own '06 S83
Still ride.

Seat height is just right, narrow frame, bars are at just the right placement for a normal upright position. Fits me like a glove. Not too heavy, not too light. Power to spare.

No complaints here.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Ok here goes.
I'm about 5'7"
wear jeans with an inseam of 32".
Arm length :uhh:
Bought my 99 vs800 in 06 and still ride it.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Looking at the replies so far, I think most of you are confusing length or width with inseam. Inseam is basically leg length.

How to measure inseam

I don't care what kind of beer belly you have. We all know that isn't a factor riding an Intruder. They all have plenty of power. :lmao:

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

dm1400 wrote:I'll be interested to see your results, thanks ddogg! :thumbup:

Height: 6'
Inseam: 34"
Arm length (arm pit to finger tip): 29"
I still own my '95 VS1400

I looked at getting an 800, but after riding the 800, it was too cramped for me. I realized it didn't fit me after riding less than a mile on it.

The 1400, as the saying goes, fits me like a glove.

I hope you get results back on both 800's & 1400's.
Not to hijack my own thread, but Dave, next time you're up here or I make it down there, I'll have to let you ride mine. (Weather permitting :lmao: ) It's set up for a big guy, so you may be pleasantly surprised how much forwards help. (That is, if I haven't sold her before next time :thumbup: )

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Height: 5'5"
Inseam: 29"
Arm length (arm pit to finger tip): Too Damn Short
I still own my '96 VS1400

Yup I'm a short bastard... :moon: And I too wish my controls were a little more forward. Not much.. Maybe 2-3 inches.
I cant wait for over the winter to do my handlebar swap. I got the setup I read about on the other IA site. The factory "Drag" bars option. I think it will make the bike look and handle better.
As for fit and comfort... Like I said I wouldn't mind a little extra leg stretch myself, however this bike is Far FAr FAR more comfortable than my Shadow was.
My 200+ mile ride 2 weeks ago... No low back pain, my butt didn't go numb and my arms weren't feeling like rubber.

I love this bike! :kiss: :thumbup:
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

Height 5' 11
Inseam 33
Arm Length idk
Still own (If no, state why) yeah
Riding now ram 2500
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by dm1400 »

ddog6900 wrote:
dm1400 wrote: Not to hijack my own thread, but Dave, next time you're up here or I make it down there, I'll have to let you ride mine. (Weather permitting :lmao: ) It's set up for a big guy, so you may be pleasantly surprised how much forwards help. (That is, if I haven't sold her before next time :thumbup: )
That would be interesting to get on one with forwards. I bet it would make quite a difference. I hope we can hook up again sometime for some more bar bq! :thumbup:

tc1400
Got My M1 License!

Post by tc1400 »

wj_hurd wrote: And I too wish my controls were a little more forward. Not much.. Maybe 2-3 inches.
I cant wait for over the winter to do my handlebar swap. I got the setup I read about on the other IA site. The factory "Drag" bars option. I think it will make the bike look and handle better.
As for fit and comfort... Like I said I wouldn't mind a little extra leg stretch myself, however this bike is Far FAr FAR more comfortable than my Shadow was.
My 200+ mile ride 2 weeks ago... No low back pain, my butt didn't go numb and my arms weren't feeling like rubber.

I love this bike! :kiss: :thumbup:
A lot of aftermarket seats will put your riding position back about an inch or so. This may be an alternative for the controls.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Not sure this is off topic or not? :uhh: Come winter time I plan on looking real hard at some way to make forwards for my 800. I have a friend that is a pipe line welder and he should be able to help with any welding (if any) that needs to be done. I would prefer it to be just bolt on type like what Tilos had with the shifter and brake pedal needing welded. I'll also look for someplace to put my wolo air horn. These beep beep horns just don't get the attention an air horn gets. :clap:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Not sure this is off topic or not? :uhh: Come winter time I plan on looking real hard at some way to make forwards for my 800. I have a friend that is a pipe line welder and he should be able to help with any welding (if any) that needs to be done. I would prefer it to be just bolt on type like what Tilos had with the shifter and brake pedal needing welded. I'll also look for someplace to put my wolo air horn. These beep beep horns just don't get the attention an air horn gets. :clap:
Just do the ricker mod

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I would but I'm going to see what I can do without putting a big steel plate under the bike and oil filter. Besides the thread I visited on the purple board had all the pics missing. :bang:

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by dm1400 »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Besides the thread I visited on the purple board had all the pics missing. :bang:
Here's a link that has Tilos & his forwards:

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/index ... cID=204833

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

dm1400 wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:Besides the thread I visited on the purple board had all the pics missing. :bang:

Gary_R has taken over his plans for them. I'm sure he isn't making them, as he's too busy, but you could probably PM him for any info you don't understand.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

dm1400 wrote:

Yep, that is the thread I was reading last night. I think it is doable even for someone with limited ability as me. Not that I am stupid (? :lolfall: ) just that I don't have a way to weld the shifter and brake pedal. I think with a bar under the bike bolted up and going from original foot peg to foot peg and an arm out front to bolt the forwards to would be clean looking. It would be sorta like a [ but with longer arms. It would probably need a brace of some kind. I've got all winter to think about it and longer if I need it. :cheers:

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by dm1400 »

ddog6900 wrote:Every time I ride my VS, I can't help but think it was designed by/for some Asian midget. :lmao: Even with forward controls, a different seat, different bars and many aesthetic upgrades, it still doesn't feel "big enough". So, a little survey of those who have owned/still own a VS model Intruder.

Height
Inseam
Arm Length
Still own (If no, state why)
Riding now

Once I get, say 10 responses, I'm going to organize the info into a spreadsheet and translate into a line graph then post in this thread. I'm going to try and keep it up to date. I want to see if size plays a role in buying/keeping a VS.
Anyone else want to contribute? Could be some interesting info ddogg gets for us.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

I don't know if this will help you at all, but I wear a size 32/30 jeans.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.