Why don't tech threads start honestly...

Keep it civil
wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Re: Why don't tech threads start honestly...

Post by wj_hurd »

DMIntruder wrote:In that instance isn't it better that they just take it to a mechanic? Then he can HEAR, SEE, SMELL, FEEL the problem. Makes perfect sense to me.
I called 2 of my local shops, they wanted $200+ before even looking at the bike because it was a 96. That was their minimum diag fee. :eek: :fubird: :blink:

So I have dove in head first.. I do my best to search and read looking for nuggets of information I can use.
Sometimes I misread things, like the fuel petcock on the tank.... Right DM? :donno: :uhh:
And I made an ass of myself and apologized.
I sometimes feel like a pain in the ass... It mostly because of my lack of knowledge working on motorcycles. I have tons of faith in my abilities working on cars, computers, and other mechanical things, but I feel very insecure in my abilities when it comes to my bike. :donno: :uhh:
Not sure why, maybe because of the safety of my life and being stranded, not wanting to have to push my bike.
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Re: Why don't tech threads start honestly...

Post by dm1400 »

I have certainly posted my share of questions in the tech section. I also know, as others have also said, I may take a while to understand the info being shared.

I am of the opinion that if I am asking a question, I am wanting to try & solve the problem & do the work myself. I ask for help, explain the problem as best I can, then I have a responsibility to read the replies & attempt to perform the solutions offered, giving feedback & updates as I do the work.

There have been times (especially in my carb synch thread) that I asked question after question after question. But with some brothers who were incredibly patient, I got through it & got the work done. Hope I haven't frustrated too many. I'm learning as I go.

Thanks to all who have helped me. I try to help others as I am able. Pay it forward!