So most all bikers are superstitious?

Keep it civil
DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

So most all bikers are superstitious?

Post by DMIntruder »

The biker bell thing humors me to no end. Plane and simple if you install a device on your bike to keep 'gremlins, demons, or what the hell ever away', and to keep you safe, you are superstitious. Not to mention a bit silly. I fully intend to get the full wrath of the biker community here and I will sit back and laugh. Me? I choose to stay more focused on the road, hon my riding skills, learn from my mistakes, and avoid obstacles at all costs. I don't need a damn silly bell or trinket on my bike to keep me safe or remind me that riding a motorcycle is extremely dangerous and each ride could be my last.

I choose to be prepared and improve my riding skills as opposed to being superstitious. :bonk:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: So most all bikers are superstitious?

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

The ride bell is not about keeping away gremlins but about remembering those that have gone before you when you polish or clean the bell. At least that is what it means to me. :blink:

POLISHING THE RIDE BELL

It has been tradition among some of us for a long time to attach a brass bell to our left swingarm to remember our Brothers & Sisters who have gone down riding.

It's a small thing, but the reason a brass bell is chosen is that, as we ride, it gets dirty and tarnished. Every time we get down to wash and polish it, we are reminded of friends lost and our thoughts turn to the meaning of being in the wind.

As we ride and the hear the bell ring, we know that our Brothers & Sisters are riding with us and how easy it would be to join them with a single mistake.

And maybe, just maybe, the next time a situation comes up, they will be there to help us...as long as we remember them by polishing the bell.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

Now that I could relate to a bit more, but that isn't what I read about them in other forums. And the advertisements for them certainly don't say that.

You polish your bell??? Kind of caught me funny..... :lmao:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I will clean/polish the bell usually when I wash the bike. No trouble to take 2 extra minutes to remember someone. As they say "different strokes for different folks."

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

I'm with John I polish it to remember my fellow fallen brothers and sister.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Don't look inward to the "biker community" thing. I ride for me. I don't need a bell to remind me of anything. I have enough to keep my mind occupied when I ride. And she only gets washed when I take pictures, other than that, dirty all year. It's not a Harley for crying out loud. :lmao:

Dylby1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Dylby1 »

Same again, I remember friends and family lost while cleaning the bell, rather than to keep gremlins away.

As far as the superstitious side of it goes, I wear a bracelet given to me by my friend Katie every time I ride. The 3 times I have forgotten it I have come off the bike, thankfully never too seriously.
I honestly don't give a fuck if anybody thinks it's stupid, but its a good luck charm of sorts for me and I've never had an incident while wearing it. They've all been when I've forgotten to put it on.
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

The 3 times I have forgotten it I have come off the bike, thankfully never too seriously.
:lmao: Sounds like superstition is a real part of your life then. BTW, I come off my bike EVERY time I ride, right after the kickstand goes down.

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

Directly from this site: http://www.guardianbell.com/
Legend has it that Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road. These Evil Road Spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck along a journey.
Legend goes on to say that by attaching a small bell onto your bike, the Evil Road Spirits will become trapped inside the bell where the constant ringing drives them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground. (Ever wonder where potholes come from?)
Legend also has it that the mystery of the Guardian™ Bell carries twice as much power when it is purchased by a friend or loved one and given as a gift.
Show someone how much you care. Offer them defense against the Evil Road Spirits! Give a Guardian™ Bell and share the Legend of Good Luck it offers to a motorcycle and its rider!
Who was it that said there is one born every minute???? And I thought Hardley has the corner on the market for selling useless crap.

dm1400
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Post by dm1400 »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:The ride bell is not about keeping away gremlins but about remembering those that have gone before you when you polish or clean the bell. At least that is what it means to me. :blink:

POLISHING THE RIDE BELL

It has been tradition among some of us for a long time to attach a brass bell to our left swingarm to remember our Brothers & Sisters who have gone down riding.

It's a small thing, but the reason a brass bell is chosen is that, as we ride, it gets dirty and tarnished. Every time we get down to wash and polish it, we are reminded of friends lost and our thoughts turn to the meaning of being in the wind.

As we ride and the hear the bell ring, we know that our Brothers & Sisters are riding with us and how easy it would be to join them with a single mistake.

And maybe, just maybe, the next time a situation comes up, they will be there to help us...as long as we remember them by polishing the bell.

Between this history of the bell, & the story of the gremlins, I like this one. :thumbup:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

I suppose everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

DMIntruder wrote:Directly from this site: http://www.guardianbell.com/
Legend has it that Evil Road Spirits have been latching themselves on to motorcycles for as long as there have been bikes on the road. These Evil Road Spirits are responsible for mechanical problems and bad luck along a journey.
Legend goes on to say that by attaching a small bell onto your bike, the Evil Road Spirits will become trapped inside the bell where the constant ringing drives them insane, making them lose their grip until they fall to the ground. (Ever wonder where potholes come from?)
Legend also has it that the mystery of the Guardian™ Bell carries twice as much power when it is purchased by a friend or loved one and given as a gift.
Show someone how much you care. Offer them defense against the Evil Road Spirits! Give a Guardian™ Bell and share the Legend of Good Luck it offers to a motorcycle and its rider!
Who was it that said there is one born every minute???? And I thought Hardley has the corner on the market for selling useless crap.
You know, I've seen a lot of them Harley guys that are the, not so savory kind whom wear, 'colors' are sometimes very big dudes with a somewhat nasty disposition that would bust your nose if you just look at them the wrong way. Almost every one of the bikes I see that are owned and ridden by these sorts of people have a bell or maybe more than one attached to the bike. I ain't never gonna make mention to any of them I think their bell is useless crap.

Yo-

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Those are just myths. They really are just misunderstood. Most are real down to earth family men. Just with a real screwy family. But who am I to judge another family. Everyone's family has its issues.

Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Jolsen wrote:But who am I to judge another family. Everyone's family has its issues.
I see you have met my family already. :bonk:

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

Rather have a Get Back Whip than a gremlin bell. At least the whip has a secondary purpose. :naughty:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

All I can say is... talk it over with the person who's name you get. If he/she is willing then swap something you both want. :blink:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Ddog needs a Kong and rope lol

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:All I can say is... talk it over with the person who's name you get. If he/she is willing then swap something you both want. :blink:
Not even going in for the swap. Don't really see the point. I'm just saying the whip is more, functional. :evil:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

The point is you do something nice for a friend during the holiday season. That's it, you do something nice. :blink:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I got to thinking about this a bit and I'm not trying to blow things outta proportion or anything, I'm just sayin'.

The American flag is just a hunk of cloth with some colors on it. It waves in the breeze and really isn't worth anything much more than that if you look at it as face value. People buy them and put them on their cars or out on their doorstep, even place them high in the air for all to see, yet the flag itself it basically worthless.

The same goes for a bell. People buy them and display them on their bikes for whatever reason they think it's worth. At face value it's pretty worthless, can't do much with it. It's only good is for display value and to show others something, just as a flag does. The bell doesn't hold as much meaning as the flag, yet, the flag and the bell both have something in common.

They are a means to show others that you have feelings or, even a belief in something. They both stand for something. While the flag is considered a cherished item because it is symbolic of our nation and what that represents, the bell as well, has it's own representation of things some people care about and just might hold dear in their hearts. Though loosely based on mythical nonsense, the meaning of the bell doesn't carry the weight as does the meaning of our flag, but still, for some, there may be a deep meaning in it for them.

The commonality of them is quite similar. They are both symbols of something someone may hold dear to them if not in fallacy, then something even more important, at least to them.

Perhaps that bell, to some, is as important as that necklace your girlfriend or wife might adorn that holds the image of a deity upon it.

I still ain't gonna tell some guy his bell ain't worth a crap!

Yo-