Gonna try something with the site

Keep it civil
MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Re: Gonna try something with the site

Post by MadCow »

It would be better to inject meta data into your index.php instead of using a redirect. However, if you want to utilize a redirect, specify what kind of redirect it is, either a 301 (permanent) or a 302 (temporary). The source code for your index.html does not specify either.

It would look something like this: (this is for php header, not html...you can look up what it would be for html)

header (‘HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently’);

Google will index and pass the properties/characteristics of your index.html to the redirect target (index.php) if it is a 301 permanent redirect. It will not pass on the properties of a temporary 302 redirect. So for SEO, optimize your redirect by specifying 301.
-DBTO

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I use Google Chrome and have a bookmark on the taskbar that I normally use but there is also a shortcut (tab) or whatever you call it on the new tabs page that will bring you here. :thumbup:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I use Google Chrome and have a bookmark on the taskbar that I normally use but there is also a shortcut (tab) or whatever you call it on the new tabs page that will bring you here. :thumbup:
Yeah...I think most folks have the forum itself book marked and not "intruders-alert.com"
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Instead of redirecting from index.html to index.php, is there a way to do the same thing from the index.html file without having to do a redirect?

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

YoDude9999 wrote:Instead of redirecting from index.html to index.php, is there a way to do the same thing from the index.html file without having to do a redirect?

Yo-
I don't understand your question...
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

MadCow wrote:
YoDude9999 wrote:Instead of redirecting from index.html to index.php, is there a way to do the same thing from the index.html file without having to do a redirect?

Yo-
Someone links to the site. The site server sees the index.html page and runs the script. It sees the redirect and then goes and runs the index.php script, as is the way things are at the moment.

Is there another way to get the index.php script to run from the index.html script without having to do a redirect?

Yo-

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

YoDude9999 wrote:
MadCow wrote:

Yo-
Someone links to the site. The site server sees the index.html page and runs the script. It sees the redirect and then goes and runs the index.php script, as is the way things are at the moment.

Is there another way to get the index.php script to run from the index.html script without having to do a redirect?

Yo-
If you really want to use html, you can tell Apache to run .html files as application type of php in the .htaccess file using this directive:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm .html

And then rename your index.php to index.html

But this *may* break certain parts of the site that call the index.php directly. You could of course create a symbolic link from index.php over to index.html (which is actually your old index.php renamed)

Don't take this as a negative comment, but your going about optimizing your Google results correctly but your targeting the wrong file. As I alluded to earlier, it would be MUCH easier to simply add meta information to the php file itself instead of trying to play fancy with Google. When I made the suggestion the other day about putting header information into your index.html file, I neglected to say index.html *or* index.php. Because of that, I can see why your focused on the index.html. If I misled you, I apologize.

Since your site relies on index.php, you should focus on getting the meta data that your wanting Google to see in the index.html into your index.php file, negating any need for a redirecting index.html. Make sense?
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

MC, yes, it does. Okay, I will look more into this. The idea was to make it as simple as possible for me to go after google without having to mess with the actual site files themselves. The index.html option seemed the easiest way to do it.

It might make things easier if I were to PM you the index.php file along with the meta tags I'd like to see incorporated into it, let you make the changes and then send it back to me and I can upload it to the server. I know it's a clunky way to do it. Thoughts?

Yo-

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

YoDude9999 wrote:MC, yes, it does. Okay, I will look more into this. The idea was to make it as simple as possible for me to go after google without having to mess with the actual site files themselves. The index.html option seemed the easiest way to do it.

It might make things easier if I were to PM you the index.php file along with the meta tags I'd like to see incorporated into it, let you make the changes and then send it back to me and I can upload it to the server. I know it's a clunky way to do it. Thoughts?

Yo-
I would rather see you learn how to do it. There are literally thousands of sites out there that can show you how..just google it man, you don't need me ;P
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Hahahaha, well, I've been doing a LOT of that lately I'll tell ya. For now, I'm going to leave the index.html file in place for a few weeks or so, just because I want to see if Google changes its listing. If so, then I'll be happy in knowing that the strategy actually worked. If after a while it never changes, I'll scrap the html file. If it does change however, I'll remove it anyway. This does leave the option for a true home page that could be presented at a later date with a click-able link on it to get to the forum. Who knows, maybe we'll have a store or something by then LOL.

For now, I guess I'm back off to reading. Thanks Mike :bow:

Yo-

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

:rock: :rock: :rock:
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

I'll you though, these php files are making my friggin' nuts!

Yo-

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

YoDude9999 wrote:I'll you though, these php files are making my friggin' nuts!

Yo-
Yeah, its a particular script language to get to know...but it makes sense over time.
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Well they ALL do over time. I don't know if I have enough time left in me to learn all this stuff LOL It's getting to the point where it's getting tedious. I'm just not finding the answers I'm looking for when it comes to php and the site itself. For instance, when I look at the source when the site is running on my browser, it shows me htm code just like I like to see it. My problem is that in looking at the php files for the site, I'm not finding ANYTHING that relates to the htm source code I see. I've been searching for answers to my questions for weeks now and I'm still not getting anywhere with it and it is getting frustrating. Maybe I should lay off it for a while and go ban more spambots, but even that gets old in time too :lmao:

Yo-