None
No votes

Total votes: 16

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: Tell Us About Your Bike

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I have a 1999 Suzuki Intruder VS800 GL with over 112,000 miles on it. Bought it in '06 with a little over 5,000 miles on it. It has a DS rear tire with the 1400 rear end swap. Without the HF trailer I get close to 62 mpg (+ - 2 mpg), but with the trailer it drops to just over 52 mpg. That is a big drop. :eek: But just image what it would be without the 1400 swap. It would be close to 42 mpg. I might as well drive the van with that mileage. :lol:

It does think it is a harley and has developed a small oil leak around where the driveline fits inside the motor. I paid $165 to have it fixed at the dealership, but 6 weeks later it was back and I said f*ck it and ride it with the leak. I just have to keep an eye on the oil level more often. Change the oil every 3,000 whether it needs it or not. Put Iridium plugs in it, use regular Walmart filters and oil. The oil is getting harder to find. Throttle lock on the throttle, For years I had a T-bag but it has gotten old and the zipper gets stuck now. :bonk: Oh and I have had the valves checked twice in the first 25,000 miles. The first time I had one valve that needed taken care of. It was't enough to hurt anything but it adjusted it anyway. The second time, the same mech, found nothing needing adjustment and he said ride it till the motor tells you it needs adjusting. So I have rode it ever since with no adjustment or looking at. :blink:

Jeez, I don't know what to say,I ride it and do normal upkeep and it is still going after 112,000 miles.

My bike and trailer. It is the best I can do.

My bike with the HF trailer at the Okmulgee lake dam spillway built when they built things to last. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

Have an '02 Intruder VS800. Bought it used (obviously!) in April of 2013(?) or right around there. Had an '02 Marauder VZ800 just prior and prefered a shaft drive with a little more pep over the chain. Since living in Florida I have owned a Volusia and a GS500 - always a Suzuki!
My dad had a '96 VS800 a few years ago and that thing ran like a bandit (when the electric system didn't keep draining the battery!) so I knew it should be a solid bike.
Overall, it was what I was looking for. Perfect size for me, enough power to zip around on, and I wanted to really learn about this bike inside and out. I paid $2000 for it and it had 11K miles. A lady owned it and, from what her boyfriend said, she wanted to sell it after a near accident. I think she was spooked about riding again.
Quick story...the day previous I looked at a 2000 Harley Sportster. The guy was a self-made cycle mechanic as, when I went out to see the Sportster he explained he was selling the Harley because he bought a touring bike, which he had apart and on his hydraulic bike lift. Anyway, he was asking $2500 for the Sportster, which ran tight and had 12K on it. A little rust here and there but nothing major. I made him an offer and he looks at me, points to a pad of paper and tells me to write my name, number and offer down...then he would wait to see if someone else outbid me. Now, I have NEVER had to do something like this before. When I have offered I have always made a deal then and there. I wrote my info down and left for home. The more I thought about it, the more pissed I got. So, since I was eyeing the VS I called them up and said I would be there the next morning and that they would have a sale if it was what they said. Sunday morning, I pack up the family for a drive down to Sarasota (an hour away from Tampa) to get the VS. As we were walking out of the house, the Harley guy calls me and says I had the best bid!!!
I explained the situation to him...NICELY...as I really wanted to tell him to piss off!
And, that's how I obtained the Intruder!
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Post by Jolsen »

poll is rigged I cant vote more then 1...
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Jolsen wrote:poll is rigged I cant vote more then 1...
The last time I checked you could only ride one bike at a time. So vote for the last bike you rode or the one you plan on riding next. :ahha: How about voting for your favorite bike? :lol:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

1996 Vs1400 Less than 14K on the clock.
Cobra slip on's
K&N drop in's.

Future mods...
Replace the buckhorns with the stock "DRAG BAR" option.
Designer Springs.
Chrome shaft cover.
Chrome Battery Box
Triple headlight setup.
Maybe a new seat with a nice back rest delete, and a rack option. (gotta have a place to keep my lunch)
Strip and polish the front forks.
LED drop ins for the stock turn signals.

Winter projects...
Fix the dents in the gas tank and a fresh coat of paint.
Repaint the battery box for now.
New rear sneaker for spring.

Thought I would add a pretty picture too!
1996 VS1400GL, Jardine Drag pipes, K&N Filters.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

2000 VS1400 British Racing Green (The best color of any Intruder, BTW :smoke: )

Barron's' Tach (Pricey but nice)
Chrome Battery Box
Cobra Seat (Still getting broken in)
Cool Blue High Intensity headlamp (Yes, these work pretty well)
Crankcase thermometer (An ebay find. Reads in *C because it's a metric cruiser!)
Designer Springs (MUST HAVE)
Double Barrel Shotgun Pipes (These sound sweet. No baffles)
Dyna 3000 Igniter (Rev limit set to 5500, ignition curve set to 3)
Flame Mirrors. (An ebay find)
Iridium plugs (0.043" gap)
Kury Stick on Voltage monitor gauge (Nice to know if the charging system actually is)
National Cycles Front Fender Tip (Have the rear one also, still need to install)
Throttle Lock (Very handy)
Wide Clutch and Brake levers (An ebay find)

I love the style of these bikes, they are lookers for sure. Love the rumble from my pipes while cruising, love the roar when I twist the throttle.
Never had any serious issues with it so far. Carb problems seem to be the most prevalent of the problems encountered with these bikes. Battery issues seem to be next in line, or maybe the other way around. Love shaft drive. I won't ever own any bike that doesn't have this feature. Everything else is a PITA, especially chain drive.

One day plans......
National Cycle headlamp bar
Bullet LED blinkers all around
Front and Rear blinker re-location
Rear shock swap (I hate seeing springs)
Finish uncorking project (Got all the stuff, just need to do it)
Other minor things

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by ddog6900 »

You boys and your no baffle drag pipes. You realize you lose 10 - 15 potential HP right there. To get that back, a crossover pipe and baffles would help, but really the baffles are all you need. Ideal is a baffled 2 into 1, but good luck finding one for these bikes.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

98VS1400 wrote:
cheapcookies wrote:2000 VS800, then a 1986 Honda Rebel 450, the the wife's Burgman 400. Those are on the road.

Then I have an assortment of 1960s Hondas in the barn. 2 1/2 CB160s, a good S-90 and a bunch more hanging from the trusses, an ST-90, a Fourtrax 4x4 ... oh yeah, there's a CT70-H hiding in there too. None of these are licensed at the moment.

-cc
I need to get my hands on a four wheeler. You like that Honda?
I have a Honda Foreman TRX500ES. ...Honda makes bullet proof 4x4s
-DBTO

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Its nice to read about them purdy bikes, how about some picts too?! :clap:

I added a recent one to my post.

wj_hurd
Got My M1 License!

Post by wj_hurd »

Love those pipes!
I want to hear our bikes with those pipes, the drag pipe mod, and the slip on's DM is running in comparison to my Cobras.
Want to see if there is a pipe mod in my future. :thumbup:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

I like my cm nasty twins

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

jelildude
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS1400

Post by jelildude »

98VS, mind telling me about that bag on the back of your 1400?

Thanks!

jelildude
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS1400

Post by jelildude »

cheapcookies wrote:
jelildude wrote:98VS, mind telling me about that bag on the back of your 1400
I'm not sure about his bag, but consider a few things about bags:

Don't buy cheap Paki or Chink leather bags; they're not worth a shit. (You will find these by the boxload at bike shows, Daytona, Americade, etc)

DO buy bags with 'Made in America' labels on them made from real cowhide. Consider thickness also, you want hard leather, not soft.

Go online and shop for American leather. If you can't find what you want (I bought a bag called 'Silver Spoons'), look for a good leatherworker in your area and have one custom made.

-cc
Awesome advice...Thanks. Those Silver Spoons look like they have some nice features at a pretty decent price.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

I have a willie and max sissy bar bag strapped to the front of my bike. It currently holds the amp for my radio that I am fixing to take off.

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

Since July I no longer own a Suzuki. My husband and I both owned a pair of 800's. We changed them up with a sidecar and trike kit at one time. The only thing we did otherwise is add windshields, bags and I had a custom seat from a local guy here. They were great bikes that required very little work to keep them on the road.
Now with a knee injury that plagues me for life I have switched to a more comfortable ride of a GW Trike.
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website