Keep it civil
MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Motorcycle Heads Up Display?

Post by MadCow »

By Zack Courts June 28, 2016

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ridin ... th-samsung

You’ve always wanted to read your texts or check your email while riding, right? Yeah, here at Motorcyclist we just can’t wait to stop and get off the bike so we can get back to texting, fantasy sports, and conference calls! Not sarcastic enough? Then let’s be direct: Our feelings are the exact opposite. Anytime we can escape a screen showing emails to twist the throttle and carve some corners we take the opportunity. Which is one reason why this “smart” windshield from Samsung is a little baffling.

The idea is a WiFi-connected head-up display that is embedded into the windscreen, which allows GPS information, phone calls, text messages, and other cell-phone data to be presented as you ride. In the product’s teaser video, it shows a rider cruising through a city on a three-wheeled scooter, confidently receiving GPS and phone information from the screen as he rides. “More safety on two wheels,” says the soothing, Samsung tenor narrating the video.

Lots of you out there are probably like us: You’d rather just shut your phone off and ride than try to combine the two. Good on you. Then again, we’ll be the first to admit that this Samsung windshield probably has some practical application in the market. If you’re an executive at “Major Global Conglomerate” and you’re expected to be available whenever the sun is up, you might rather use this nifty head-up display on a Piaggio MP3 than sit in your S-class Benz as you commute across Barcelona.

Head-up display technology has been aimed at motorcycling for a while now—lots of talk of helmets with built-in HUD setups or universal aftermarket HUD projectors that can sling images into your peripheral vision. But we haven’t seen HUD products really take off. Practically, Samsung knows people are desperate to use their phones, and applying HUD technology to the world of two wheels opens up a new market for electronics companies like Samsung. So, who can blame them?

It also means the potential for people who aren’t currently on two wheels to start using a motorcycle or scooter. In theory, constant connectivity could be keeping people from using two-wheeled vehicles. It’s a silly theory, frankly, but it’s possible. Which brings us to the ultimate dilemma: Do we, as motorcycle enthusiasts, applaud this technology as bringing motorbikes into the modern fold and welcome the people who use it? Or do we turn our backs on the whole concept and attempt to keep motorcycling segregated from the frenetic bustle and perpetual distraction of the modern world?

The HUD windshield is, perhaps, the foie gras of motorcycling. People agree that it is delicious but either disagree with its preparation or are too disgusted with the idea to eat it. There’s no doubting that this HUD tech is sci-fi sexy, but we have to question the motives and the safety. Will the burgeoning, connected generation be less distracted if they can feel less isolated, or is it just another shiny thing to look at instead of seeing the pedestrian in the crosswalk? In other words, is an idea bad when there is potential for disaster or when it actually fails? As motorcyclists, that is the top of a steep and dewy slope.

So it remains to be seen how “smart” this windshield is—whether it actually works to improve safety or tarnishes the purity of riding a motorcycle. We’re testers here at Motorcyclist, so until we try something we won’t say it’s a bad idea. Let’s just say we’re skeptical.
-DBTO

MadCow
Site Admin

Re: Motorcycle Heads Up Display?

Post by MadCow »

I don't like the idea, I like to unplug when I ride...at MOST I like listening to tunes over bluetooth.
-DBTO

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Must be one of those new high tech bikes I keep hearing about. High tech gadgets on two wheels.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

It'll disappear the first time it causes an accident because the rider wasn't watching where he was going but reading the email or getting a cell phone call on the windshield. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Only two things I like to listen to on a ride...... and never both at the same time......cd player and the wind [emoji106]

And of course that might be three.... we have our head sets to communicate with each other
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Stupid Dave, always calls at a bad time.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

I think they already have something like this, with all of the screens and bells and whistles. I think they call it a NEW CAR!!! :bonk:
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

DevilsFan wrote:I think they already have something like this, with all of the screens and bells and whistles. I think they call it a NEW CAR!!! :bonk:
BINGO!!!

And with that said, I can understand the mind set… way too many car people trying to be bikers while keeping the comforts of the car… high tech nonsense.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Takes distracted riding to a whole new level!

:bang:
-DBTO

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

I would rather drive a VW Beetle than a bike with that on it. As it is, my Vics sound system is enough of a distraction already.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

A heads up display on a 3/4 or full helmet shield might make an easier sale for those who want it. That technology incorporated into a motorcycle wind shield will cost a heck of a lot more. I wouldn't buy either.
lovineveryminuteofit

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:A heads up display on a 3/4 or full helmet shield might make an easier sale for those who want it. That technology incorporated into a motorcycle wind shield will cost a heck of a lot more. I wouldn't buy either.

I *think* there's a helmet out now that does that, even comes with a hefty price tag of over $2K. I gotta look that up now.

Yup, found it: https://www.skully.com/

EDIT: Price came down I see, $1499.00
-DBTO

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

MadCow wrote:
SuzyRidr2 wrote:A heads up display on a 3/4 or full helmet shield might make an easier sale for those who want it. That technology incorporated into a motorcycle wind shield will cost a heck of a lot more. I wouldn't buy either.

I *think* there's a helmet out now that does that, even comes with a hefty price tag of over $2K. I gotta look that up now.

One thing about electronic technology ... you can literally watch the prices fall. [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
MadCow wrote:

One thing about electronic technology ... you can literally watch the prices fall. [emoji106]

ESPECIALLY when nobody is buying it.
-DBTO

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

98VS1400 wrote:Is this a Harley invention? I heard somewhere before that Harley is always on the cutting edge of technological advancements.
Harley motor fabrication and assembly. Tour the plant in Wisconsin and behold high tech at its finest. But, you knew what I was talking about. You can have your gewgaw gadgets. The Harley motor is what the bike is all about. A work of art for the ages.
Signifying nothing”