Computer stuff part 2

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Computer stuff part 2

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Here I sat all day waiting on the UPS guy to bring my computer stuff and he never shows up. So I say fork it and go check the mail box for my HF flyer and what do I find in the mail box... both of my packages I was looking for. One from Ca. and one from Fl. Imagine that both showing up at the same time. :bonk: I look twice for the HF flyer and it isn't there. :cry: Anyway, I go back to the trailer and open the packages like it is Christmas eve or my birthday. :lolfall: So I get the USB cable out first since I want to get online asap. Swap out cables and plug one end in the computer and I hear the little noise it makes when it is connecting to the Virgin Mobile software. So while I am waiting and listening to the computer load the software again and again and again and again I open the other package with the external HDD case.

Well, crap it seems the USB cable won't load the software properly. So I swap the cables back to see if it is the cable or something else. I hear the little beep and see the connection manager window that says device found. So it appears the new, but cheap, cable is the problem. It seems that the old saying about getting what you pay for is true. You buy cheap stuff, you get cheap stuff. :bonk:

Now I turn my attention to the HDD case and proceed to take it apart. Then I get the HDD out of the old laptop and take it apart. I slide it into the case and it doesn't fit. WTF is wrong now? So I get the packing out the case came in and start reading the shipping label. It seems that they have sent and IDE case and I have an SATA HD. I could have sworn I ordered the correct case. :bang: Nothing I got today works like it was suppose to. Time to get a cold Dr. Pepper out and do some crying. :cry: ....... :lol:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: Computer stuff part 2

Post by Jolsen »

Time for some angry phone calls

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Sorry to hear things didn't work out for you so well with that. :sad:

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I knew I needed the 2.5 inch SATA case but somehow ordered the IDE case, I think? Since it only cost a few $ I will just order the proper case and when it gets here I will have my external HDD like I should have yesterday. It is funny to me how this things happen. I don't do them on purpose but they do happen. I think it is a results of not thinking about what I am doing and just doing something in the hopes that it is the right thing. Sort of being a reactionist, a person that reacts to something, instead of doing it right the first time. Kind of makes me wonder how I ever got 112,000 miles on the 800. :lol:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

because you react without thinking :rock:
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Jolsen wrote:because you react without thinking :rock:
Yes, that is what I do. I would react to a situation rather than create the situation that was in my favor. Most of the time that is what I would do and have done my whole life except for those times when I decided I wanted to do something now rather than wait till I retire. I was in my 40's before I ever had a paid vacation because when I wanted to take some time off and do something I did it. That is how the construction business works.

The paid vacation was when I worked for Wrangler and they shut the plant (warehouse in my case) down for a week twice a year. They would fill out the unemployment papers for you and if you had the time in you would get a check that second week or any vacation time from the company if you had any. When I think back on it I could have two retirement checks coming in if I had done what others wanted me to do. Maybe I should say if I had done what I should have done. :bang: I would have a retirement check from the Navy for 20 years in (1969 to 1989) and 20 years in at Wrangler (1989 to 2009). I would be the Okla version of "The EMU." :lolfall:

crap.... the topic cop got off topic. :lmao:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

cheapcookies wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:I would be the Okla version of "The EMU
Please don't. He's a smug smarmy POS who comes off as a 'gosh, gee I'm somebody' kind but really is a cheap bastard, a piker who will cheat to save a few bucks. Like he confessed to on IA to get a senior discount in NYC he didn't qualify for.

-cc
Are you saying that EMU would actually use a handicapped parking spot using a stolen HC hang on the mirror thingie?

Yo-

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Yep

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

YoDude9999 wrote: Are you saying that EMU would actually use a handicapped parking spot using a stolen HC hang on the mirror thingie?

Yo-
Are you saying he hasn't? :uhh:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Well umm see what had happened was

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Well, I ordered the SATA external case tonight and I got it for $5.40 with free shipping. It is suppose to be here a week from Monday. I probably should send the cables and the IDE case back. But seeing as how they didn't cost that much I will eat the loss. :big grin: And the case was my fault but the cables weren't. :blink:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

I would still raise a stink about the bad cables and send the whole works back. :evil:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Jolsen wrote:I would still raise a stink about the bad cables and send the whole works back. :evil:
For what he spent on the items, it's not wort the hassle, time, raised blood pressure, or added expense to send them back. It would just be tossing more money into the fire. It'd make him happier if he found a kid that could make use of the items.

Yo-

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Jolsen wrote:I would still raise a stink about the bad cables and send the whole works back. :evil:
Oh, I plan to contact them and see what they have to say about the cables. It'll only cost about $1 to send them back. I have to go back to the website and read again just what it was these cables are used for. To me USB cables are USB cables and should fix/do what other USB cables do. :blink:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

What is the problem with the cables?

Yo-

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

YoDude9999 wrote:What is the problem with the cables?

Yo-
They won't load the software for the Virgin Mobile modem. All you hear is the beep when the computer tries to load the software. The command window says device found and then within about 15 seconds it says "No device found" and you hear the beep again. It will do that until you unplug the cable. It other words it loads and then unloads the modem software in a loop. The computer doesn't recognize either the cable, the software thru the cable or both. :bang:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Post a link to these cables.

Yo-

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

YoDude9999 wrote:Post a link to these cables.

Yo-
Ok, here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330452323502?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Huh, it's just an extension cable. Strange, in the title of the cable, it states it is USB 2.0, yet in the description it states it's USB 1.0 compatible.
Does the device you're connecting it to, have it's own power supply, or does it get its power from the USB cable? If it gets it's power from the cable, that could be your problem, that and because it's 15 long might have a marked effect on the device being powered.

You're connecting a modem to it aren't you? Can you give a link to the modem?

Yo-

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

It's a Virgin Mobile modem that you buy at Walmart. I have had 15 ft cables hooked to it ever since I bought it 5 years ago. The max you can go with a single cable is 15 ft. You can hook more than one cable togethe and I have done that. the modem is a device that you plug into you computer usb port, but since I live out in the county you have to put the modem outside and hook it to the computer via the usb cable. It is powered by the cable. As a mater of fact I am using the one cable right now and it is working fine except for the cable being loose in the usb port. That is why I bought a new cable.