Wasp and other flying pest ?

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Wasp and other flying pest ?

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Why is it a wasp, yellow jacket, dirt dobber or any of the other flying pest can go out for miles looking for food and come right back to the nest and go inside a tiny hole but can't find their way out of my screen room even when I hold the door open for them? Here lately I have killed so many red wasp I can't walk around bare footed any more. :bonk: It just boggles my mind that they seem to know how to get home and crawl into that tiny hole but can't remember how they got into my screen room. :bang: [space] :OhNo;
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Wasp and other flying pest ?

I knew it was a boring subject but never expected this thread to be completely ignored. :bonk: [space] :soda:

Spyder
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: S50----

Post by Spyder »

I don't much care how they navigate; day before yesterday I was upgrading a customers old analog cameras to 2megapixel digital cams & got stung on the base knuckle of my right thumb. Damn I don't recall it being that painful, but it's been decades since last time...still swollen up to the elbow & I don't recall that happening before either. Well, got that off my chest, now, how do I navigate back to the kitchen for another cup o'coffee? [emoji2]

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Sorry to hear about you getting stung, damn the bad luck. :bonk: :bonk: Now to get back to the kitchen?? I would suggest that you follow the first fly, wasp, yellow jacket (do they get into houses :uhh: ) ant, (wait ants don't normally fly :bang: ) or any other flying pest you see and it will take you back to the kitchen some time soon. :blink: :bs:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Once while squirrel hunting as a teenager I had a swarm of yellow jackets fly up my pant leg after I stepped into their nest on the ground. Needless to say I got stung a bunch of times. I was bullet proof back then though and thought nothing of it. Later, when I walked through the front door upon arriving home, my mom nearly fainted at the sight of seeing me covered with large red welts. She frantically called the doctor after I told her about the bees. The doctor asked if my throat felt swollen or if I'd experience any trouble breathing. The answer was no, so the doctor told her I'd be fine and suggested something for the itch that would later set in. Apparently, if I was going to have life threatening complications, they'd have already kicked in. It was near dark when I got stung and I didn't know about the big red welts until my mom freaked out. :lmao:

Leave the bees alone. They are our friends. [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I try not to bother the honey bees, but any other kind of bee is dead if it gets close to me. I have a total dislike for wood bees, bumble bees, sweat bees and a wasp of any kind is dead if I can get to it. :hellfire:

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

When I first started riding in the 80's I wore a full face helmet. I was riding on a hot summer day with the visor open and a wasp flew into the helmet and got stuck between it and the right side of my face. That prick nailed me at least a dozen times before I got the bike whoa'd up and the helmet off. Then he flew happily away. :bang:
Scott

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I know the feeling. I wear a full face and on my trip back from Duluth I got hit on the side of the face by a bumble bee which stung me twice before I could get him out. Man that sucks to have a bee in your helmet at 65 mph. :hellfire:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I try not to bother the honey bees, but any other kind of bee is dead if it gets close to me.
Insect pollinators include bees, (honey bees, solitary species, bumblebees); pollen wasps (Masarinae); ants; a variety of flies including bee flies and hoverflies; lepidopterans, both butterflies and moths; and flower beetles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollinator

No pollinator = no food. :uhh:

I don't know the difference between a wasp and a pollen wasp, I just try to leave all bees alone. I will knock down a wasp's nests when they build on my porch though. They can build some place else. [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I realize bees are pollinators as I had plenty of them here when I first moved in and the land was covered with wild flowers. None of those were bothered, but the ones that got close to me were put to death... asap. :blink: I have seen one hummingbird around here since we have been here. I have no idea what he/she was looking for as there is nothing around here for them to use. :bonk: [space] :OhNo;