A bike you can't tip over?

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

A bike you can't tip over?

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I was messing around on the internet to see if I could find any pics of Japanese scooters I hadn't already seen when I noticed something mentioned about a Gyro in the states. It's an electric bike even. :bonk:
Here’s a potential game-changer: a two-wheeled, in-line motorcycle that won’t tip over, even if you try to knock it down. The team at Lit Motors envisions a world where nobody’s afraid to ride motorcycles because they’re as safe and intuitive as climbing into a car. At Maker Faire they’re showing off a prototype electric bike that’s stabilized by a gyroscope, as well as a beautiful concept bike with a fully enclosed cockpit called the C-1. They promise their futurebike “will employ H2V, H2C, V2I, and V2V connectivity” so it can automatically respond to traffic, road condition, and weather data.

But the self-balancing technology is where the excitement is. They spun up the gyros on the prototype and CTO Kevin Bretney let me give it a shove. It’s amazing to feel the bike shove back. The gyros swings on gimbals in response to attitude changes, immediately rebalancing the bike in response to your touch. The team explained that when the gyroscopes are fully weighted, it’ll take 5,000 pounds of force to push the bike over: “That’s like a rhino or small elephant!”

http://makezine.com/2012/05/20/gyroscop ... nock-over/
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: A bike you can't tip over?

Post by Herb »

Sooooo, how do you turn the dam thing?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

At speeds it mostly likely will lean into the curves and when out of them it would right itself.....It says in the article it pushes back..that would sound like it is capable of running in the twisties.. [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Should be a hit at Easter as looks like a big egg. Cute but in the style of the old BMW front door type little cars.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

We already have those, only they have 4 wheels and are called Mini Cooper. :funnylast:
lovineveryminuteofit

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:At speeds it mostly likely will lean into the curves and when out of them it would right itself.....It says in the article it pushes back..that would sound like it is capable of running in the twisties.. [emoji106]
So, come into a turn too hot and it will keep you from a lowside crash by keeping it upright, causing you to run into the other lane and hit a car or run off the road and hit a tree.

Still sounds like a lousy idea....
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Herb wrote: So, come into a turn too hot and it will keep you from a lowside crash by keeping it upright, causing you to run into the other lane and hit a car or run off the road and hit a tree.

Sounds like a someone shouldn't be out riding to start with. :bonk:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
Herb wrote: So, come into a turn too hot and it will keep you from a lowside crash by keeping it upright, causing you to run into the other lane and hit a car or run off the road and hit a tree.

Sounds like a someone shouldn't be out riding to start with. :bonk:
Why would you say that?

People ride hard and some times crash, BFD.

What I see is an unnecessary, expensive system, that could make things worse, and you make a stupid comment. It is as unnecessary as the stupid BTL clutch on the 1400, and probably will be just as problematic.

BTW. EVERYTHING breaks from time to time. What happens when a person gets used to the system, and then it stops working? Sounds like a crash waiting to happen.

A couple of months ago I got a wake up call about depending on technology working. Traffic stopped dead on the I-15 freeway and I rear ended a car with my 2000 Mercury. The anti-lock brakes didn't work, that time. I had gotten used to them working and knew the stopping distance, Had plenty of room. This time the brakes locked up instead of doing what they are supposed to do.

Technology is great, we depend on it a lot, until it doesn't work.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Herb, I guess you are right, every comment is stupid if it doesn't agree with the way you think. I don't have the time or want-to to discuss this subject. I made a thread about a new technology and thought the board would find it interesting, but you found that idea stupid and said so. Now move on to something else you disagree with and post your comments about how wrong that idea is. :blink:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Herb, I guess you are right, every comment is stupid if it doesn't agree with the way you think. I don't have the time or want-to to discuss this subject. I made a thread about a new technology and thought the board would find it interesting, but you found that idea stupid and said so. Now move on to something else you disagree with and post your comments about how wrong that idea is. :blink:
Was it interesting? Yes.

however, it does raise a lot of concerns, I initially raised the concerns that I have, because, with everything there are pros and cons. I ALWAYS want to know how the cons are handled.

After spending the majority of my life as an avionics tech on military aircraft, AND seeing a whole lot of gyro systems fail, I have a major concern over something that could impact on a person's life.

You, however, came back with a smart assed remark about someone shouldn't be riding.

"Sounds like a someone shouldn't be out riding to start with. :bonk:"

Instead of discussing my concerns, you chose to be an ass.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

let's put it this way Herb. If the rider goes into the curve so hot he ends up lowsiding it or ending up in the other lane then it isn't the bikes fault or anything on the bikes fault. It is the riders fault for over riding his skills, the road, or the conditions. :Umm:

You sound a lot like that enforcer guy wanting to blame the instrument of use instead of the person using the instrument, in this case a motorcycle. What you describe could happen even if the guy was in a car and went into the curve too fast and lost it. :bonk:

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Post by VRH »

I saw that awhile back. I too was unbelieving because in the video they never showed the MC turning. That is what I want to see ... I want to see that thing running hot through the twisties. Until then: [emoji99]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:let's put it this way Herb. If the rider goes into the curve so hot he ends up lowsiding it or ending up in the other lane then it isn't the bikes fault or anything on the bikes fault. It is the riders fault for over riding his skills, the road, or the conditions. :Umm:

You sound a lot like that enforcer guy wanting to blame the instrument of use instead of the person using the instrument, in this case a motorcycle. What you describe could happen even if the guy was in a car and went into the curve too fast and lost it. :bonk:
You don't get it do you. My concern is that the "safety system" could actually cause a crash or increase the severity of it. That is why I question the whole idea.

BTW, another poster questioned the turning ability. If it resists turning, then the rider will have to fight it through the turns.

Did you know that when Elizabeth Dole was sec of transportation they even tried a seat belt system for motorcycles? Just another bad idea that the intelligent people questioned.

Questioning someone's idea is what thinking people do. Make those in favor of something prove the idea is a good one. Don't just accept an idea/product because it is new and interesting.

BTW, the BTL clutch on the 1400's is still a waste of money, and a stupid idea.